The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
stupid protools ???, maybe
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

stupid protools ???, maybe

when I work in protools the edit window ALWAYS defaults
to some ridiculous length, I have tried setting the default project length in prefrences, but to no avail

So, it is impossible to use the lttle bar at the bottom,
I am forced to constantly use shift-option-return to shorten the edit window length, is there something, I don't know??

no matter what settings I use it is always going to some stupid length!!!!!

HELP!!!!!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

maybe not????
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish11
when I work in protools the edit window ALWAYS defaults
to some ridiculous length, I have tried setting the default project length in prefrences, but to no avail

So, it is impossible to use the lttle bar at the bottom,
I am forced to constantly use shift-option-return to shorten the edit window length, is there something, I don't know??

no matter what settings I use it is always going to some stupid length!!!!!

HELP!!!!!
What do you mean by 'shorten the edit window length' with shift-option-return? 'Shift-option-return' simply selects an area from where your cursor is placed to the end of your last audio region. Are you trying to zoom out to see you're entire project? You can set 5 zoom level presets that are instantly recalled by using the numbers '1-5' on your keyboard. Also, holding down either 'R' or 'T' will zoom in or out extremely fast.

Not sure if this helps as I'm not sure what you are trying to do exactly.

Last edited by Jazzpunk; 11th May 2006 at 05:52 PM..
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

You can set the default edit window length under preferences.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

yikes, even setting the the default length, the edit window goes to like 60 minutes, maybe its cause I set the length after I start the project

any other ideas, this is FRIGGING obnoxious

BTW - select all tracks, shift-option-return-delete
clears the session from where you set the curser, thus defining the length as short as one wishes

but, it will then get usually longer after writting automation,
again
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

(ah...you left out the 'delete' in your original post)

I am still confused as to what the length of the session has to do with the 'area' you are working in? What is it exactly about the empty space that exists beyond your audio regions that is disrupting your workflow? Can you give an example?

Maybe there is a workaround.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

it has to do with moving the little bar at the bottom of the edit window,
but also even in the universe window, it seems enivitably
the session defaults so there is a huge area of nothingness
and the session itself is so small in relation it becomes a huge pain in the ass and then you got to select : all tracks -shift- option-return, delete

it sucks and no other program I have used pulls this ****
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

check that you haven't accidently written some small piece of automation out after the session. i have done this and it makes the session super long and there is only one little dot on a volume track.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Man, I am obviously missing something here. If you are taking advantage of Pro Tools' track heights, zoom levels and markers I just don't get what the area beyond your audio regions has to do with anything. Maybe it's just that I've been using Pro Tools for so long professionally that I am used to the session size.

Best of luck getting it sorted out.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
Man, I am obviously missing something here. If you are taking advantage of Pro Tools' track heights, zoom levels and markers I just don't get what the area beyond your audio regions has to do with anything. Maybe it's just that I've been using Pro Tools for so long professionally that I am used to the session size.

Best of luck getting it sorted out.

Because it's annoying as hell..that's why. Trying to scroll with this tiny little scroll bar because some automation data was written at 2 hrs and 58seconds, when your session is 5min's long...

What I usually do is set all tracks to volume, then hilight the region past the audio on all the track, and zoom in to the area of the audio, and hit delete. Usually does the trick...
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
Because it's annoying as hell..that's why. Trying to scroll with this tiny little scroll bar because some automation data was written at 2 hrs and 58seconds, when your session is 5min's long...

What I usually do is set all tracks to volume, then hilight the region past the audio on all the track, and zoom in to the area of the audio, and hit delete. Usually does the trick...
How does the data get written at 2hrs 58 seconds when you are working in a 5 minute area? I haven't experienced this so good to know in case it comes up in the future.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

who the fukk knows, but it happens all the time

I too, highlight and delete, but it seems if one were to set the timeline in preferences is would be a non-issue, but it ain't

I find it hard to believe, I must be missing something, maybe a brain
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
How does the data get written at 2hrs 58 seconds when you are working in a 5 minute area? I haven't experienced this so good to know in case it comes up in the future.

When I figure it out, I'll get back to you.

I write automation with the line bar thingee in the "super tool". The bracket that goes up and down....I also use the pointer to set automation points, and drag them by hand. I don't use the typical "fader automation" mostly because I use a mouse for everything, and it's too hard to do that crap with a mouse. It's easier to just switch to volume move, and drag it with the bracket thingee...maybe this has something to do with it? who knows...
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

can you post the pt file or a screen cap or both?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Happened to me before as well.
The annoying part is that you don`t know what kinda automation it is,
and only the visible automation data gets deleted.
In worst case this means you have to bring up all volume levels - group all tracks - delete, all mutes - delete, all pans - delete, plug in automation data, .....
and I am not shure if the automation data of non hidden tracks gets deleted that way

Possible reasons are if you import data from other sessions with other
timelines and/or other SMPTE Start times.

Hope this helps
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipgod
Possible reasons are if you import data from other sessions with other
timelines and/or other SMPTE Start times.

Hope this helps

Maybe, but it's def not the cause for my problem. It's something that happens while changing automation information during the session.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

well its nice to know I am not alone, I guess

GOOD SOFTWARE!!!!
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

o, now i get to many rtas plug-ins error when I mix down,

I don't use any RTAS PLUG-INS!!!

what is that other one..........nintendo or something, you know the one you can mix 300 tracks full SSL plugs on
every track on a 500ghz pentium 3, 64 mb ram or
something, where's henchman, he knows
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

also... if you've imported tracks from other sessions that may have had audio timestamped way out there (2hrs, 58mins), this can cause extremely long edit windows. even if the audio isn't there anymore, if the session remembers that something *was* out there, it'll be long. i don't think deleting that region from the region list fixes it either.

personally, it doesn't bother me. but i never scroll with the scroll bar/arrows/whatever.

--jon
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish11
o, now i get to many rtas plug-ins error when I mix down,

I don't use any RTAS PLUG-INS!!!

what is that other one..........nintendo or something, you know the one you can mix 300 tracks full SSL plugs on
every track on a 500ghz pentium 3, 64 mb ram or
something, where's henchman, he knows
it's called Nuendo, and yes, please go buy it.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew
unless you want to be able to trade sessions with the other 80% of working engineers

or edit without feeling like you have one hand tied behind your back

or step into most any session feeling 110% comfortable with the daw format.

but let's not turn this into a PT vs. the world argument.

--jon
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought it was called Nuendo because Nintendo was already taken.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I write my automation always to the end of the session, this is common when mixing for picture. Just start the mix at the beginning and work to the end of the material, very annoying if after 2 minutes some faders jump because their setting wasn't written to the end of the session.

But 'write to end' isn't a feature in PT LE unfortunately, makes mixing the way I like, kind of hard to do.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCraig
unless you want to be able to trade sessions with the other 80% of working engineers

or edit without feeling like you have one hand tied behind your back

or step into most any session feeling 110% comfortable with the daw format.

but let's not turn this into a PT vs. the world argument.

--jon
you didn't smell it? it was sarcasm.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
you didn't smell it? it was sarcasm.
dangit! you win this round! but next time........ next time...

heh heh heh

--jon
Old 25th June 2014
Here for the gear

I think I got ya...

I think I understand what you are talking about.
Go to Setup -> Session -> and change session length to however long you want it.

That should solve your problem.
Old 25th June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClearReason View Post
I think I understand what you are talking about.
Go to Setup -> Session -> and change session length to however long you want it.

That should solve your problem.
Disregard. I just saw that this whole thing took place 8 years ago.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search