The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trying to get Motif 6 playing nicely with Logic Pro 7
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Trying to get Motif 6 playing nicely with Logic Pro 7

Well, i have my motif 6 classic now, and it's great etc.

I'm struggling to get it to act like more of a control surface for logic, though

It's connected via usb, i updated the Motif firmware to 1.9, and downloaded the Yamaha USB midi drivers etc. I've set the 'template' to 'logic' in the motif, and set it to send midi via usb. I turned local control off. I turn 'remote control' button on, (in song or pattern mode) and all i get is the ability to play the keys in logic, like my current controller

I can't use the transport, or the faders (well, the master fader and one of the knobs work to control that fader and pan pot for the current track), and can't use the scroll wheel like i can on the mackie control

So i tried to do the key command thing - I've got the transport working ok by teaching it the midi learn via 'Key Commands' (although play and record lights do not come on on the motif, which i would have liked. Is that possible?)

So i tried to set up the key commands in logic - that worked for transport controls, but that's it (and lights didn't come on either). I couldn't change the patch of the software instrument with the increment/decrement keys (like i wanted to), or select different tracks with the arrow keys, etc. The 'learn midi' doesn't sense that i'm moving the scroller, or that i'm pressing those keys.

Finally, when set up like this, the metronome tone from the motif is a PIANO note instead of a click/blip....

What am i doing wrong? Other than wasting yet another night pissing about with gear instead of making music

Cheers

Last edited by The Beatsmith; 11th May 2006 at 03:59 AM..
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I really wanna use the arrow keys on the motif to go up/down tracks on the arrange, and also use the inc/dec buttons (or left and right) to skip between presets on softsynths... and REALLY want the jog wheel on the motif to act like the jog wheel on my mackie control...

i hope someone can help cos i can't seem to find any help anywhere else - motifator.com is strangely silent whenever anyone mentions logic

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search