The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Funky drum loops
Old 10th May 2006
Here for the gear

Funky drum loops

Can anyone suggest some good funk groove loop/sample drum libraries? I'm mainly concerned with good feel for compositional purposes. Sound quality is not that much of an issue since I'll be rerecording the tracks with real drums. I've listened to clips from several CDs online but most of the ones I've checked out sound pretty stale.

Thanks!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Some things to look into:

Stylus RMX + Retro Funk SAGE Xpander

Drumcore (not all funk though)

Jamstix
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

whats the purpose of drum loops? Im simply asking because I come from a background of where drum loops are almost unacceptable but Im curious why do other people use them
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissolva
If I needed a funk loop to build a track around, I'd prob reach for one of these sample discs:

Vinylistics 1 - alot of the classic break beats sampled by everyone
Clyde Stubblefield The Funky Drummer - you can't really get much funkier than Clyde
Funky Ass Loops - Prince's old rhythm section Sonny T & Michael B
I was an engineer on Funky Ass Loops and Smooth Groovs the other loop cd Michael and Sonny recorded. Those are some good grooves. We have heard a few major artist albums that have used those loops.

Todd
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

check out norman cook - stepinto my loops-
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton
whats the purpose of drum loops? Im simply asking because I come from a background of where drum loops are almost unacceptable but Im curious why do other people use them

dbr said it on the begining. for compositional purposes. just as a basis or foundation while he figures out melody and harmony he will later record real drums.
thats what i do at least. so i dont waste time on making a unique beat , programing etc and focus on the music itself/hook. after what was on my head is translated into my sequencer i start focusing on the beat itself and its interaction w/ da music.

but then again, sometimes a kik ass beat/loop i made myself will inspire me to add certain music/lyrics etc.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiton
Xabition, loops are used for layering ,especially in live drum driven pop where the loop acts as percussion in the chorus with live banging drums , and maybe as a dynamic underpinning in the verses , the mentality of using loops and manipulating them for pop,dance and electronica is not like programming a Hiphop/RnB beat , the headspace is different .
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz
Xabition, loops are used for layering ,especially in live drum driven pop where the loop acts as percussion in the chorus with live banging drums , and maybe as a dynamic underpinning in the verses , the mentality of using loops and manipulating them for pop,dance and electronica is not like programming a Hiphop/RnB beat , the headspace is different .
Hip Hop is 90% manipulating loops just not drum loops most of the time but thats a good way to look at it. As said before I just never understood why people don't program their own drums on their tracks instead of resorting to loops IMO it sounds a lot better and creative to just throw something on a step sequencer and play to that (or even better play it on a keyboard after u made ur melodies) than it does to just get a loop cd just my opinion tho not knockin anyone
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

best of both worlds

IN my just released CD, I have a Hit single here in Brazil where I build a basic drum track from a cheap Roland MDC1. Later, added a drum loop that has been beaten to death. But at final production a very good drummer friend of mine came here and substituted the boring electronic parts for a cool real groove.
You may check it here:
"Deusa de MArfim" ( Ivory Goddess)
http://www.audiostreet.net/artist.as...915&mode=music
Old 13th May 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
The Clyde Stubblefield disc is just what I was looking for.
Funky Ass Loops seems pretty cool too. Might end up picking that up as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search