The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looping Sampled tones for synths
Old 10th May 2006
no ssl yet 
Looping Sampled tones for synths

Anyone have any tips for finding loop points for synth tones to make them play continuously?
Old 10th May 2006
if it's a continuous tone like a saw or a sine wave it's easy, just find the zero crossings and put the loop there, if it's a complex tone look at the waveform and search for a place that has more or less uniform amplitude and loop it there ...

hope I'm making sense
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

> Anyone have any tips for finding loop points for synth tones to make them play continuously? <

This is the art of sampling! heh

Seriously, I've looped hundreds if not thousands of Wave files for sample playback. Not so much synth sounds, but violins and cellos and trumpet sections etc. Sometimes you find a great loop point quickly, other times you realize you've been at it for 30 minutes and it still sucks. I'd think synth sounds will be easier to loop than acoustic instruments. If your time is worth more than $40 buy Seamless Looper here:

www.beatcreator.com

This is what I now use, and it works really well.

--Ethan
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

xfade loop and reverse loop can make a loop sound smoother sometimes too. finding the right length for the loop takes trial and error.
Old 10th May 2006
no ssl yet 
Man, I've been thinking that I never really got into using my fantom rack. With the Roland piece you can use both your own samples as well as the internal and expansion card tones together to make patches. I'm thinking this should lead to some nice sounds since my own samples ALWAYS sound fuller than those on a Rompler. But I 've gotta learn to turn out loops faster (OR sample longer tones )
Old 10th December 2007
Gear Maniac

hi guys,

what, on average would you say makes a good loop length; when considering saving space etc.

5s or so...?

thanks
Old 11th December 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
what, on average would you say makes a good loop length; when considering saving space etc.
It depends entirely on the samples!

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search