The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone tried the channelstrip plugs from Metric Halo?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone tried the channelstrip plugs from Metric Halo?

I hear CS pro is nice. Looking for something all-around good and somewhat transparent that I can really stak together on lots of tracks. Trying to save some UAD power, and have something else in the process.

The prices on the native AU plugs are very good.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Smile About the Metric Halo CS

The gate on the metric halo channel strip sounds great. The EQ is a little harsh sounding but has an output gain knob too. Very easy to use this plug-in. I have seen engineers put it on every single track... but if i were them, i would rather use the McDSP Channel G on every track! Check it out!
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Channel strip is pretty economic on DSP. Also has a great compression for drums in particular. EQ is effective for software rather than harsh. I would just put it on every drum track. Also some good presets for more wild effects.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronmr20
I hear CS pro is nice. Looking for something all-around good and somewhat transparent that I can really stak together on lots of tracks. Trying to save some UAD power, and have something else in the process.

The prices on the native AU plugs are very good.
-- Channelstrip is pretty cool! OK - it is clear that I would recommend it - but you also give the Channelstrip DSP Version a try - it takes more part of the Metric Halo "Audio Engine" - and this is amazing!

Cheers
Stef
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Ton,

I don't think I have the version of 2882 that allows you to run effects off of it. The "+DSP model" right?

Are you saying that there is a software version they make of CS that uses the regular DSP of my basic 2882? And are you saying it sounds better?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

you can download a 10 day demo of Channel Strip Native and see how you like it.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Channel G seems to only be for Pro Tools.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

I use Channel Strip native AU version for mixing in Logic. That noise gate is great. If I have a noisy mic or guitar amp in a mix, I just call up Channel Strip and engage only the noise gate.

It's about the best digital noise gate you'll find. Maybe Sonalksis is close to releasing their noise gate plug, which I'd like to try.

The compressor on Channel Strip is pretty cool too. I like the 3 different character settings that it has. It does seem to give some compression though, even when the threshold is set at 0. That part is a little weird, but it's a very good sounding compressor for a plugin.

I use the compressor on kick drums all the time. Channel Strip is great for shaping kick drum sounds in the mix.

The eq gets less use for me. For subrtractive eq it's great. For boosting highs, it's probably not as smooth as Hydratone or some others, but totally useable depending on what you're eq'ing in the mix. It's pretty useful on drums and guitars for me.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Guru

I love that thing. I'm probably one of those guyys who puts it on most tracks. I use all of it. Gate is great.I use it on drums, kick and toms a lot. The compressor is very handy. I love the EQ too. Although for ahile I favored Hydratone, I'm using CS more again.

Also their MIOStrip that comes with their DSP interfaces is quite superior. That said I still use the CS all the time. It is an indespensible tool for me.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks fellas.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

i use it on every single drum track I have ever done in protools....it's one of my favorite plugins...absolutely amazing for over the top compression.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

can i use the channelstrip with a pc based system (running samplitude....)?

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search