The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
digital clicks before audio regions in logic
Old 10th May 2006

digital clicks before audio regions in logic

I have also posted this at osxaudio (bigbluelounge) but I am impatient so..

I had this problem in logic 5 on pc and have recently upgraded to 7.2 on mac, thinking apple/emagic would've sorted this problem, but no..

It happens shortly before an audio region plays for the first time on a track, there is a small digital click, kind of like the track is turning on or something. It is different each time you play it back, sometimes it is not there but it usually is.

It is definitely BEFORE the region by about a quarter second, not at the beginning of it. and yes I am using fades at the start of the regions..

I'm sure some other people have had this problem since I've had it on two totally different logic systems.

In the past I've worked around it by inserting an audio region with silence in it, but this is not ideal.

Thanks for any advice

narco
Old 10th May 2006
what kind of AD-DA do you use?

latest drivers installed?
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I used to have this all the time using a Sonorus system. What's your audiocard?
Old 10th May 2006

in the pc it was a lynx 2

in my mac it is firewire to a mackie digital X bus mixer (core audio drivers), mytek converters and clock, all wordclocked together, the click registers on the meters of the tracks in question in logic and the dxb's meters too.

narco

Last edited by matt thomas; 10th May 2006 at 09:35 AM..
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

i use to have many glitching problems. i would place silence at the start of my audio tracks that was causing the glitch on one problem. it might be a hardware clocking problem that needs repair. do you see a glitch or click on the actual audio file. have you tried grabbing the problem audio and see if it plays back a glitch on another system?

mine was a hardware problem that would record a glitch into my audio but ive also had other problems before where it was just a hardware clocking issue that did not corrupt the audio file but only played it back corruptly.
Old 10th May 2006

there is no audio file, it happens on a blank part of each track BEFORE the audio file.

narco
Old 10th May 2006
sounds like a sync problem..

did you terminate your last piece of equipment in your clocking chain(I hope you clock with WC)..

cheers
Old 11th May 2006

I'm pretty sure it's set up right, it happened on my old system where I had nothing that needed syncing..

If the computer plays back audio on track 1 (for instance) from bar 1 then the other tracks start at bar 9 there will be a click at bar 8 and three quarters, so it is not like it is syncing, because the first track has been playing in sync the whole time, on the same system

narco
Old 11th May 2006
I've had this problem since Logic 5-now on 7.2 WITH certain plugins on the track....
Solution:- automate a mute a few ms before the file starts.I've also used the "piece of silence" audiofile at the beginning of track scenario. has worked for me for years
Shweet !
Old 11th May 2006

I haven't noticed the relationship with specific plugins, I'll keep an eye out for that one..

narco
Old 11th May 2006
pan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
I haven't noticed the relationship with specific plugins, I'll keep an eye out for that one..

narco
It's definitely SPECIFIC plugins, that cause this - kind of a buffer-problem?

(plugin playing the rest of its buffer when you stopped the track before?)

The empty-Audiofile thing was a workaround for Delays/Verb cutting out after rthe end of the region - does it fix the click-thingie also? I'd imagine, that it would only shift the click to before the empty-Audio...

n
Old 11th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan
It's definitely SPECIFIC plugins, that cause this - kind of a buffer-problem?

(plugin playing the rest of its buffer when you stopped the track before?)

The empty-Audiofile thing was a workaround for Delays/Verb cutting out after rthe end of the region - does it fix the click-thingie also? I'd imagine, that it would only shift the click to before the empty-Audio...

n
I've found that the "silence" at the begining of the track with offending plug will cure the clicks for the bounce-( it will click at the beginning),but if you stop & start in the middle of the siong you'll get clicks at the next audio reigon... Buffering? my guess yes..(must check on different buffer sizes) I've resigned myself to the "mute" practice.BTW PARIS had even more of a problem with certain DX plugins on a track-not vst's...History lesson over...Interesting:- freezing offending tracks doesn't get rid of this...still mute frozen tracks.

P.S..still clicks external word clocked or internal...been down that route

Last edited by audwiz; 11th May 2006 at 08:14 PM..
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yes this happens for me when I use native DUY plugins. Ive heard this also happens with UAD plugs, but have only noticed it with DUYs

How I get around this is to automate the volume down to 0 on that track then right back up just before the file/track plays. works for me that way.
Old 12th May 2006

thanks guys, alas it seems to be a work around problem as opposed to a solvable once and for all thing..

narco
Old 16th May 2006
I also had these problems. I would also say that it definitely is plug-in related.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search