The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PT AND ADAT
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Head

PT AND ADAT

I am not familiar with ADAT, but am wondering if I use a preamp with an ADAT output into PT ADAT in, can I use the preamps as seperate channels recorded to seperate tracks?

ie 16 drum inputs going to 16 seperate tracks on my 002.?
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue642
I am not familiar with ADAT, but am wondering if I use a preamp with an ADAT output into PT ADAT in, can I use the preamps as seperate channels recorded to seperate tracks?

sounds right to me.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yes sir, you sure can. That would be 8 Channels at a time. After hooking up the unit of your choice, just select the corresponding ADAT channel in your PT input assignment.

Last edited by severe; 9th May 2006 at 11:04 PM..
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Head

ok so lemme just make sure i'm 100% understanding here. If I use my 002's 8 analog inputs thats 8 seperated channels of input, and the and then using 8 channels of an adat preamp connected out via 1 lightpipe, i get 8 more channels , and 16 simultaneous channels of seperate input?

How does ADAT lightpipe handle this? does the F/O split the signal as 8? and is there any drawbacks to this?

thanks for the replies
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
How does ADAT lightpipe handle this? does the F/O split the signal as 8? and is there any drawbacks to this?
The only drawback is that ADAT tops out at 48kHz whereas PTLE is 96kHz capable. If you don't care, it doesn't matter.

I use a Rosetta 800 A/D and D/A converter that talks to the 002 via ADAT and it works beautifully, every day. You'd never know that signal's passing thru an 002 and that's exactly where I want to be.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok so lemme just make sure i'm 100% understanding here. If I use my 002's 8 analog inputs thats 8 seperated channels of input, and the and then using 8 channels of an adat preamp connected out via 1 lightpipe, i get 8 more channels , and 16 simultaneous channels of seperate input?

thanks for the replies

What max said... and another 2 channels if you decide to use S/PDIF as well.

Yes, that's exactly what the lightpipe does. How's it do it? I don't know. Magic?

Ain't life grand?

Last edited by severe; 10th May 2006 at 12:56 AM..
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe
How's it do it? I don't know. Magic?
I think it multiplies signals by whatever number is necessary to make them light, then it passes the light thru the optical cable, the it divides by the same number and voila! They're audio again!

Science rocks, dude!
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

The ADAT signal is time-multiplexed, like the time-multiplexing of two-channel audio over SP/DIF only with more channels. There's no degradation of data; it's lossless barring problems with the cabling, etc.
-synthoid

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search