The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Phoenix plug-in for Pro Tools
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Question Phoenix plug-in for Pro Tools

What do you guys find yourselves using that plug-in for the most? And how do you find yourselves using? (Ok. I left myself open to all sorts of smart-ass answers, but I hope you catch my drift

Peace & thanks,

-a

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

2-bus. STOP

Rules. STOP

Stop. STOP
Old 9th May 2006
Rep
Lives for gear

Mixing thru it with cretian stems from the beginning can be good ,
no boost surprise in the end that way.

Last edited by Rep; 10th May 2006 at 03:36 PM..
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Jules, that thread pretty much just runs thru how everyone was going to steal it, copyright law, etc.... not the way you started the thread.....noone even comments on the plug itself (a shame). Anyhoot....

Dirty, there is a thread running around here though that has some info on it, specifically from Jules himself....try searching it and I am sure you'll find it. If memory serves, Jules uses Dark Essence or Iridescent on his drum bus pretty heavily and loves it.....
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofie
2-bus. STOP

Rules. STOP

Stop. STOP
None of my business since I did not start this thread and all.....But what does this mean, I am curious.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thumbs up NEW QUESTION: Thanks...ok a comparison then.

Anyone use this in comparsion to the Neve Portico Tape Emulator? I THINK it serves imilar functions (if memory serves) and if so and you've have experience with both, how do they stack up against each other?

-a

Thanks

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I do not like the Phoenix plugin. lots of high pitched distortion makes my mixes

Not based on fact, that is just what it sounds like to me.dfegad
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Guru

i'll use the Phoenix for some tracks ,but usually set no higher than 11 oclock..
nice for smoothing/ fattening certian things like wimpy snares and bass
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I prefer the Analog Channel in general, but I do use it like Roundbadge from time to time, esp bass.
I think if Crane Song had actually given us better names and what the "Luster Sapphire" actually is and not have to dig so much for it, it would have been a better product as well.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I use it all the time on individual tracks that I want to sound more defined, rounder, more forward, more convincing, etc. I usually just use Luminescent. Let me add, I love this plug. Never use it on the mix.

I don't know or care if it sounds like tape. Regarding that, last week every day I was micing my drum kit up here in the control room, experimenting with pre's, tuning, mics, positioning, room treatments. I got some great multimic recordings of kick and snare which I'll use in my productions for drum replacement. So yesterday I thought I'd gild the lily and record some passes to my JH-24 and bounce those to PT (through Apogees). In short, I hated the way it sounded. I had already achieved my desired sound, and the tape was just a step down.

Had I started with tape and then switched to pure digital it also probably would have been a problem. We maximize for a given system and fall in love with our expectations. As we should.

-R
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

"We maximize for a given system and fall in love with our expectations. As we should."
Love it!
I have been working hard lately to make the best with what I've got, as opposed to saying "if only I had ............"
In other words
"Run what you brung".
TommyD
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen
None of my business since I did not start this thread and all.....But what does this mean, I am curious.
I've been using it across my main mix outputs for the last few days to fatten up some weak ass live recordings I've been given to prep for broadcast later in the month.
Set to around 6.5/7, it has rescued some thin and strident tracks that were unusable.

When mixing other than live I generally just nudge it into anything that may respond well to a bit of extra oomph. If it doesn't work then it comes straight off again.
Old 10th May 2006
Like most here, I use it on individual tracks to varying amounts, again a plus one for "luminescent", again a plus one for usually less than 12 Oclock on the dial. Best on Kick, bass, overheads, and snare. Also use it on vocals from time to time to get them to sit in there better, instead of using a limiter... just to take the edges off things. The pheonix makes things sound more smooth and vintage than the analog channel to my ears.

As far as the portico... I just got one and love it. It sounds much much better on the mix buss to me than the Pheonix. More lively. 15ips setting, with the saturation knob somewhere less than 12 O'clock.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

For me it works a lot better on individual tracks than on the 2-bus.

Usually in moderation.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

If a guitarist insists that he is going for a DI sound for something, do it, and later play around with the various Crane Song plug-ins... will really really thicken your acoustic guitar sound!!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

bump to an old thread

Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Re bump as well
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Question The "Luminescent" type setting? What are they?

I'd love to know what the different setting ACTUALLY are:

What is Saphire or Luminescent?

At this point, I just use what sounds good, but what are these, really?

Any insight would be great

-a
Old 26th August 2007
I really dislike that all Phoenix Plug ins are not in the same GUI!

So that would be much better and easier than loading in each one to see which one works better...
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
I'd love to know what the different setting ACTUALLY are:

What is Saphire or Luminescent?

At this point, I just use what sounds good, but what are these, really?

Any insight would be great

-a
The Gold button is the position where the color is approximately flat in frequency response, with Sapphire being a brighter, and Opal being a warmer tonality.
Luminescent is the most neutral sounding process of the five.

I use luster or dark essence on different tracks or subgroups and iridescent on the mix buss
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

the thing that drives me crazy is that the more effect you dial in , the louder the track gets. there is no volume compensation, so you cant effectively a/b dry to effected....
that makes it real hard for me to use.
am i missing something?

rob
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

below the big knob... there is a -db setting. that is used to lower the gain going into the plug. cheers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search