The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Multiplpe converters and delay compensation?
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Multiplpe converters and delay compensation?

I have a fireface 800 and I'm going to get the Aurora 16. I will need all 24 ad/da on my fireface at mixdown but I'm sure the delay between the FF800's analog I/O are gonna be a smidge off compared to the Aurora's. Is there a way in Nuendo 3 to set compensation for 2 different sets of converters? ie: lets say FF800 channels 1-8 need to be delayed .4 ms while my ADAT outs be left alone. I'm thinking that the delay will be so minute that this shouldn't be a problem. I understand that If i tracked a drumset across the 2 converters I might get some phasing issues but I don't plan on using this like that.
Thanks.
Old 8th May 2006
you should clock one as master, go wordclock out into the slave and thats your delay compensation.

dont know if thats working, but it should (driver?? dont know)
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

So as long as you run word clock from one converter to another or from a master clock they will all produce audio at the same time from my interface even though they are totally different converters? The manual in the FF800 says it takes .98 ms at 44.1 to get out of the system, what if the Aurora takes only .76 ms? Does word clock solve that? I would normally think it wouldn't.
Thanks.
Old 8th May 2006
the problem is, that your sequencer can only use ONE ASIO driver at one time..

so I dont think its a syncing problem.. its a driverproblem.

teach me if I am wrong
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

My question is every converter on the market has a certain amount of delay that it takes to become a digital or analog signal. If I'm using 2 different converters on my interface should I be concerned with the slight differences in the delay between the two converters? Or is it so small that I shouldn't stress about it?
Old 8th May 2006
sorry.. dont misunderstand me..

I am just talking about functionality.. how did you connect both converters to your machine?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have the FF800 which is connected to my computer via firewire, The Lynx Aurora converters will be connected to the FF800 via ADAT, I will also be using the FF800 converters (Analog channels 1-8). The 2 converters are the FF800 & the Lynx Aurora.
Thanks.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Head

How to test for offset

Hello,

It's pretty likely that there will be some delay difference.

Perhaps you could take a percussive sample (i.e. clave hit), import it into a track and then route the first track through a pair of the FF800 analog outs.

Create a new blank track and then physically loop the FF800 analog outs to a pair of its analog ins. Record the clave hit from track one onto track 2 through the loop. If everything is working correctly you should be able to zoom in and they should both be alligned.

Now do the same thing but loop the FF800 analog out into the Aurora analog inputs. Create a new track and set it to record from the FF800 ADAT inputs getting signal from the appropriate Aurora analog inputs. Repeat the test, zoom in, and see how much offset there is.

Whether it is positive or negative, you can correct by using an offset value for tracks recorded with the Aurora.

A word of warning: the offset may vary with the converters at 1X, 2X or 4X ranges, so test independently at 48k, 96k, and 192k.

Best Regards,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search