The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digi 002r & External Hardware: Decent conversion for this one task?
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Digi 002r & External Hardware: Decent conversion for this one task?

Good Day All!

I'm trading in my 001 for a 002r setup (Digi Hardware Exchange). I primarily use a UA 2192 via SPDIF & an RME ADI-8 via ADAT Lightpipe for my quality i/o's.

I've been bypassing the inferior sounding 001 all the while (dongle only).

My question is: How is the 002r's conversion when dealing ONLY with Hardware signal passage? My intention is to use the 002r for this purpose ONLY.

I'll be hooking up outboard FX (Lexicon PCM 70, Kurzweil Rumour, some comps, etc...) and using the more quality conversion for the outputs of my mic pres & synths.

So, while the 002 may not offer stellar conversion, will it suffice just to pass the hardware signals in and out od PT LE? Anyone else set up this way or similar with any insight?

Thanks a TON!!!!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

bumpington
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fingerz
Good Day All!

I'm trading in my 001 for a 002r setup (Digi Hardware Exchange). I primarily use a UA 2192 via SPDIF & an RME ADI-8 via ADAT Lightpipe for my quality i/o's.

I've been bypassing the inferior sounding 001 all the while (dongle only).

My question is: How is the 002r's conversion when dealing ONLY with Hardware signal passage? My intention is to use the 002r for this purpose ONLY.

I'll be hooking up outboard FX (Lexicon PCM 70, Kurzweil Rumour, some comps, etc...) and using the more quality conversion for the outputs of my mic pres & synths.

So, while the 002 may not offer stellar conversion, will it suffice just to pass the hardware signals in and out od PT LE? Anyone else set up this way or similar with any insight?

Thanks a TON!!!!
Generally I would have to say that compared to the 2192, the converters on the 002r really suck. Which units and what instruments are you planning on running through the 002r?? You said just hardware outboard FX units?

One solution would be to sell the 2192 (which is going up in price all the time; new I believe it is $2800; it was about $2000 brand-new when launched) and then use the proceeds plus a bit more to get either a Rosetta 800 or a (more expensive-but-worth-it-IMHO) Mytek 8x192....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search