The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
samples and audio files - what are the forms of corruption that can happen...
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Maniac

samples and audio files - what are the forms of corruption that can happen...

im editing and organising my samples and loops and i am wondering whether it is wise to edit it, trim it to a few microseconds of the start and end of a sample.

is the following true in regards to how audio or samples are stored.
- do the start and end of an audio sample, the first parts that usually get corrupted, like with glitches, etc. with time or constant copying or playback of the audio.
- is there like some form of shortening of the original audio, sample or file as time goes by and copying and playback of the files. eg. copying the files 50 times or playing it back 50 times, the start and end of your sample slowly starts trimming to the point where your start is actually closer or even over the actual sample. like your sample was 10 seconds and now its 9 seconds in length.

im not sure if this is happening, ive had audio files before that i look at now and it seems shorter than originally and the start point is off on the sample.

please enlighten me on this.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you are using software like protools or logic you are not really copying or duplicating the audio file. There is one audio file that the session file will reference. If you do an edit it will reference that specific part of the audio file. I am guessing you trimmed your region by accident and then copied it like that, or you didn't highlight the entire file and then duplicated. It would help to know what kind of computer, OS, and DAW you are running. The more detail of the machine and software versions the better.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

i am copying, because i usually back up my files onto a different hd or dvd and reload it specially when im cleaning my main drives. people say it's impossible for it to truncate your files, but is it possible that files can get corrupted from copying or age and change the start and end position of the samples?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search