The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Speeding up a song
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Nut

Speeding up a song

Is there some way to speed up a song in pro-tools (like on the master track) without losing the pitch etc. I have a song that is just a tiny bit too slow.

Thanks
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

Protools comes equipped with time compression/expansion as an audio suite function. Although, I'd reccomend checking out third party plugins.
I like Soundtoys's "Speed". Although, it will change the audio a tad bit.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Nut

cool I'll try the demo
Old 7th May 2006
Make sure you leave yourself a proper backup before you do any destructive processing on your mix. Such speed-shifting is a form of uneven sample rate conversion and, as such, produces a complete remapping through interpolation of all your samples -- and that equates, invariably, to alias error.

You may find the quality you lose is made up for by the tempo correction. But leave yourself a way out if it doesn't work out the way you want...
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Totally depends on the amount of tempo change!

Speed is a very good recommendation!

Also Melodyne 3comes with new algorithms in it's actual version which offer a solution for that kind of job!

For a adjustments up to 20 or 30 percent Live will also offer good quality!
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Nut

I tried speed...it worked really well. I mean there is def a pitch change, but I don't know if that's a bad thing in this case.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointbreakd
I tried speed...it worked really well. I mean there is def a pitch change, but I don't know if that's a bad thing in this case.
You mean you heard a pitch difference? Hmm... I don't know!

Do others here that, too? Do not wanna blame you, but after working for some hours I always here things noone else hears!

Really!

My recommendation would be to try the new melodyne! I will try, too! Got lots of advises for that one! Even from users that do not advise software and pluggies regualry!
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

Serato Pitch N Time does an incredible job. www.serato.com

Prosoniq TimeFactory for the PC is phenomenal as well.

Waves Sound Shifter allows you to do fine tempon and pitch adjustments; I find myself using this one more than Pitch N Time.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I definitely found Serato pitch n time to be the best for this. There is now a separate algorithm for drums included.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Its not ITB but for what its worth, a Pioneer CDJ 1000 will play back a master CD with digi out at any Temp you like without effecting the pitch.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Yeah, how could I forget Serato?

Speed does tend to change the timbre when making drastic changes.
So no one is hearing things. I kind of like what it does though.

Some times "negative" side effects can be good.
****, ain't that why everyone's making tape emulation plugin's in the first place?

I might sound like an idiot for saying this, but I re-recorded digital with bad
wordclock to "sweeten" a mix one time. The jitter actually made it sound more
pleasing. I swear.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey
Its not ITB but for what its worth, a Pioneer CDJ 1000 will play back a master CD with digi out at any Temp you like without effecting the pitch.
Come on, unhearable? Sorry not same opinion!

I would also think Melodyne 3.0 sounds better than Pitch'n'Time, no? Don't want to say that Serato's tool is not good! It is, but Melo is better!
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

Damn, Melodyne's improvements are like, "whoa".
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR
Damn, Melodyne's improvements are like, "whoa".
Does anyone know more about the rumors that the Melodyne Engine was licensed to MOTU for their Digital Performer? There seem to be some similar tools in a very good quality!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search