The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Minimalism: A Computer For Nothing But Music
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

Minimalism: A Computer For Nothing But Music

Hey everyone, just curious to know if anyone here has a computer that's seperate and just for music.

I've always only had one computer that does everything - Email, Internet, Office, Photoshop, oh yeah, and Logic and Pro Tools too.

I'm finding that it's very distracting to do music with all that other crap on the computer, I'm thinking the thing I want to do is just get a computer for music. I joked to someone that literally on the Dock, there will be nothing but: Logic, Pro Tools M-Powered, and a text editor (ie. BBEdit) for lyrics, and that's it.

Just want to get other peoples' thoughts and experiences on doing this ie:

- Did it make you more productive having a computer just for music?

- Laptop or Desktop? I'm leaning towards Laptop because I want to ideally have my rig mobile but would be curious to know how your made your decision.

- PowerPC or MacIntel? I'm thinking MacIntel because the other problem is I'm getting distracted by all the damn plugins! I set up a computer for someone recently where it had just Logic Pro and all the Garageband Jam Packs and checked up on my friend a week later. He loved the new setup cause he had tons of sounds but he loved the simplicity and lack of clutter with the minimal plugins which forced him to come up with creative solutions as well.
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

At home I have an old PIII 500 for internet and a newer PC just for audioc. I switch betwen them with a KVM switch.

It´s quite distracting if I´m working ´cause I´m checking mail, forums and that stuff.

It´s good if you have to process something or doing bounces because you can navite for a while.

Now I have decided to turn off the internet PC when I´m working to concentrate a little bit
Old 7th May 2006
I've always done that. In fact the first person who sold me my Apple and DAW (early 90's) advised me to keep my music set-up seperate.
Unfortunately, all the companies have conspired against me........
1) Automatic online registration.
2) Online software updates.
3) Online software demos.
4) Online gear manuals, tech support and forums.
I'm sick of juggling more than one computer, or trying to port updates and authorizations across.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

I use a pen drive for those things. I´ve got the antivirus in the internet computer and check everything I download put it in the pen drive and open it in the music PC.

I don´t want a network because I´m scared.
Old 7th May 2006
jhg
Lives for gear

Music only comp

I built up a recording only PC(P4 3g, 2g ram, sata recording drives), it's never seen the internet, and it runs really effortlessly. Best PC I've ever used.

My powerbook handles everything else(including being client time waster - the history after some long mix sessions has been hilarious)

regards,

jhg
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Head

You could also get another harddrive for your current computer, and make it a dual boot system (This works for the windows PC, don't ask me if will work on a mac, but it probably does i think), a computer with several OS'es on it. You'd choose which one to start when rebooting the computer, having one clean installation with only what you need for music, and perhaps no internet connection and deactivation of all hardware that is not in use when recording. Another innstallation on a different HD (or partition) can be used for internet, email, photoshop and so on.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Guru

I've done it before and I've tried to do it again. I had my Dual 450 G4 down at the studio whre there was no internet capability anyway. It was a hassle for updates, upgrades and tech help. But it stayed clean and spiffy, exept for all those nimrods who put various applications and other things on my computer when I'm not there.

At home I have a powerbook sittig right next to my Dual 2.7 G5. I wanted to use the PB for internet and general use and did, KINDA, until the PB went down and I had to do it alll from the G5. Now with the new PB, I have all the computers in the house networked and online. F it.
Old 10th May 2006
tried dual boot, doesn't work, I keep installing "useful things"
so the next phase here is a seperate internet, administration, skype gearslutz computer
and the studio machine
no email, no photoshop, no funny business. most importantly NO gearslutz browsing inside the CR during jobs, like eh I'm doing now .. heh
and then network them

also kicked out the television, too distracting
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

I do all my surfing - email - etc on a laptop and just use the main PC for audio.

I also have another audio PC with an RME audio card for mixing down onto - editing synths etc.

There is one more computer too, that I use for experimenting !!?!. Hey they're cheap enough. Why would you want to mess about with a working audio PC by putting junk on it.

si
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

I guess I'm behind the curve...I have a 2.67G P4 as my primary audio and a 1.67G as backup audio/B machine), with both having >1G RAM, firewire and USB2 ports in separate PCI slots...neither machine ever gets anywhere CLOSE to the internet, and both have performed flawlessly for several years (the 1.67 is getting close to 10 years old)...

For internet, email, wordprocessing, short run CD prints, etc, I have a Dell something or other in the office. No networking, no dual boots (complicated to set up for me)...
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlandmorgan
the 1.67 is getting close to 10 years old)...
mmm...think you might find that's about 4 1/2 years old. The amd athlon 1.67 was announced 12/31/2001. Still should be fine for most internet/office stuff.

I wouldn't be too concerned about networking PC. Just make sure you are sat behind a decent firewall.

si
Old 10th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange
I do all my surfing - email - etc on a laptop and just use the main PC for audio.

I also have another audio PC with an RME audio card for mixing down onto - editing synths etc.

There is one more computer too, that I use for experimenting !!?!. Hey they're cheap enough. Why would you want to mess about with a working audio PC by putting junk on it.

si
because sometimes you want to do some CD sleeves, or watch this or that movieclip or use this or that font on the sleeve, or ....
you are right of course.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange
mmm...think you might find that's about 4 1/2 years old. The amd athlon 1.67 was announced 12/31/2001. Still should be fine for most internet/office stuff.

I wouldn't be too concerned about networking PC. Just make sure you are sat behind a decent firewall.

si
Thanks for the correction...just checked all the hardware in the old machine...earliest date is 7/2001 (making it 5 years old)...

I still prefer not to network, just a quirk of mine...but it is interesting to note that in 5 years, we've gone from 1.6G machines to dual of quad core 3.04 machines...what will the next five years hold in store?
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso
I'm sick of juggling more than one computer, or trying to port updates and authorizations across.

Right there with ya brother. I am starting tio think of running a 100ft network cable to my router for the software updates.......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search