The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Let's talk computers and track counts/plugins/io
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

Let's talk computers and track counts/plugins/io

I am redoing my home setup. I'm trying to decide on a new computer. At the studio we use a digi hd3 on a dual 2.5 mac. I don't neccesarily want to buy an hd setup for my house, but if I need to, i will.

Right now I have an athlon 3700+, asus mobo, 7200rpm sata drives, 3gigs ram.

I can run 48 tracks with 5 plugins(waves, urs, voxengo, psp) @ 44.1... To me this is not good enough for what I need to do.

I need 50-60 tracks, 5 plugs @ 96.

I don't care if I use Mac or PC, although I would rather stay on pc. I just know I need those tracks and plugs. If I have to get an HD to do it, then I will.

So guys post your computers, and software along with sampling rates, track counts, and plugs.

I read some posts on here about dual opterons, and the x2 getting close to this. So any help would be appreciated.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst
I am redoing my home setup. I'm trying to decide on a new computer. At the studio we use a digi hd3 on a dual 2.5 mac. I don't neccesarily want to buy an hd setup for my house, but if I need to, i will.

Right now I have an athlon 3700+, asus mobo, 7200rpm sata drives, 3gigs ram.

I can run 48 tracks with 5 plugins(waves, urs, voxengo, psp) @ 44.1... To me this is not good enough for what I need to do.

I need 50-60 tracks, 5 plugs @ 96.

I don't care if I use Mac or PC, although I would rather stay on pc. I just know I need those tracks and plugs. If I have to get an HD to do it, then I will.

So guys post your computers, and software along with sampling rates, track counts, and plugs.

I read some posts on here about dual opterons, and the x2 getting close to this. So any help would be appreciated.
hey man. get some uads. they will save your butt once you start using a lot of plugs. plus they do sound nice.

this is gonna sound umbelievable but I actually work on an Emachines pc with a P4 2.8ghz and 1.5 gigs of ram. I have one session going with 106 track!! lots of plugins.

thing is, i have 2 uads.

i highly recommend the uads. if i had a pci slot for another i'd buy one.
not sure if that helps, but if you really dont want to get an HD system it is an option.

btw that session is in Cubase SX3
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

yeah I had been thinking about the uad and a waves accelerator.

So you bought the big ua pak, then a smaller one for more processing?
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
yeah I had been thinking about the uad and a waves accelerator.

So you bought the big ua pak, then a smaller one for more processing?
other way around actually. small one, then the studio pack for the additional plugs and power.

if you get one, you've gotta buy the LA2A. it's really one of the highlights. the 1176 is awesome and I use it all the time. I use the cambridge eq as my main goto eq. I think it sounds a lot less strained then the waves ren eq. its just a good all around easy to use eq.

the uads we're/are the best thing to happen to my workflow. they're trully great. and cheap.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Are you saying that you can only run 5 plug ins total or per track ?

Paul
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

5 plugs on each track.

Basically, I hate outboard eq. I only outboard eq my vox bus and 70% of the time I just use plugs.

As far as comps go, it is a 50/50 thing. Some stuff gets hit in the box with plugs, some I use distressors, thorax, and drawmer.

Effects are all in the box.

Then out to folcrom.

This is more of a computer thread than anything though. The UAD is pretty attractive to me right now. It seems they can go pretty far with eq, light compression, some effects, and reverbs.

Also i read some stuff one a quad opteron computer. It seems this coupled with the UAD could really be a nice solution.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

You'll be more than happy with a Quad for your needs. heh

Shane
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the link shane.

Yeah those stats are really impressive, it makes me sick that I would consider and HD system, with specs like those
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

This is probably a stupid question, I am not really a computer guy. The dual core opterons are one cpu with 2 cores? Thus that is why I see only 2 processor slots on those motherboards?

I thought it would be 4 cpus. Bu that would be quad cpu not quad core. I think I got it, but let me know for sure
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

1 core essentially = 1 CPU

With the system I have, my HD 1 core card gives me an extra half a core of power if it were possible to have 4 and a half cores all native with my Opteron 265's.

Since you have used HD 3 alot you'll be very happy with a Quad running all native for your needs. Or you might want to try the Hybrid approach such as myself which is basically HD 1 with the Quad handling all the plugins via RTAS.

It really depends on your needs and what you do.

Shane
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

sorry to be repetitive but:

1 core=1cpu then their should be 4 cpu slots on those mobos? Am I not thinking right?

Also for you Shane, what is the advantage of going with the hd core in your hyrbird system. It costs you roughly $4500 to get an extra half a core. It makes sense what you are saying, but $4500 for a bit extra is alot.

But what you are saying is that the hd1 really pays itself off b/c you can run rtas and wrapped vsts to the tune of 140 dverbs, and the hd core gives you you're 48 tracks and 96khz. Pretty good idea, but considering the power of the quads, I stil can't get passed the fact that essentially you are paying $4500 for an ectra half a core
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
sorry to be repetitive but:

1 core=1cpu then their should be 4 cpu slots on those mobos? Am I not thinking right?
In basic laymans terms 1 core = 1 CPU. 2 cores on one chip equals the power of 2 CPUs etc. There is alot more tech jargon that can be added to this but keep it simple. We're music makers after all. heh

Quote:
Also for you Shane, what is the advantage of going with the hd core in your hyrbird system. It costs you roughly $4500 to get an extra half a core. It makes sense what you are saying, but $4500 for a bit extra is alot.
Yes. I agree, it is alot for the extra gain. The advantage in my opinion isn't really much these days. I can expand the I/O to 32 channels, use some of the few remaining TDM only software features(which arent much these days), use a handful of TDM only plugs that arent in RTAS form, a bit better converters with the 96I/O versus the 002. Expand and add Accel cards if I wanted, although I wont. I can also expand by adding an original HD process card which you can grab off of ebay for $500. This would give me some extra voices etc if I wanted to jump into 96k recording.

Depending what you do, you might not need any of this. Native is very powerful.

Quote:
But what you are saying is that the hd1 really pays itself off b/c you can run rtas and wrapped vsts to the tune of 140 dverbs, and the hd core gives you you're 48 tracks and 96khz. Pretty good idea, but considering the power of the quads, I stil can't get passed the fact that essentially you are paying $4500 for an ectra half a core
Thats $4000-$4500 on the used market. The HD 1 will cost you $8000 without the 96I/O and computer if you were to buy it new. And yes, if it was possible to purchase 1/2 a core of my Opteron 265s to add to my system, it would cost about $35. But hey, the Opteron series will end with the 290 so it would be cheaper to just add better CPUs. But yes, you are very correct. It all depends on what you are doing. In my opinion, native is very powerful and is all many will need for music production. If you are doing post and film, that is a different story.

Also, I am only trying this concept at the moment. I havent made the purchase yet. And there is know way I would pay the full price when I can get it used for half if I decide to take this route. My Quad, 002 and Control/24 is a pretty powerful combination. I am just testing the HD core card at the moment. For me, all I do is stereo mixes, so I really have to think this through for my needs. I will be working with the hybrid system for a few more weeks.

I will be posting more on my "Poor Man's HD rig with PT 7" thread in a few weeks.

Shane
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

OKay, i get what you are saying now, thanks for the info; i really appreciate it.

I am actually going to be leaving pro tools behind at home(most likely). I just bought the new lynx aurora 16, aes16, and a big ben. So, I might get an mbox just for sake of not losing all my old session files.

I'm probably gonna go nuendo route. I am trying to find out about vst link, I guess it's similar to logic nodes. This type of thing looks like it may be the future of native systems.

I may not even need the plugin power much longer. I'm gonna pick up some more tasty outboard, probably a couple more lil freqs, distressors, sebatron eq/comp combos, and another drawmer comp.

I guess with 4 outboard eq's, and more outboard compression, I can always leave the minor tweaks for software comps and eq's and save the outboard for major tweaks and mixdown.

All in all i think the quad will let me do what I need to do,
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
...All in all i think the quad will let me do what I need to do,
From what I heard, a quad and Nuendo is quite the powerful rig these days. A user on this forum named Brian T has a system like that and he is very happy with it. Do a search for his name and you'll learn more about his system.

Shane

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search