The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Inexpensive VST host program for Windows?
Old 6th May 2006
Here for the gear

Inexpensive VST host program for Windows?

Can someone recommend a good, inexpensive app for Windows which can take a 24 bit, 48 kHz WAV file and run a VST effects plugin on it (thus making a new 24 bit 48 kHz WAV file)? I'd also like the ability to audition what the wav with fx sounds like before committing to the plugin.

I've tried Audacity, and the VST support is currently terrible (no GUI for the VST plugin). I tried some free VST processor-type thing but it could only handle 16 bit 44.1 kHz files. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

1. www.multitrackstudio.com free trial is only 3 tracks but will let you do this.
very nice vst implementation. great app.
2.also try reaper which i'm currently testing. its free. great app.
very talented developer. link >>>http://www.cockos.com/reaper/
3. my main app is powertracks from pgmusic.com.
a full blown native studio like the two above.(50 buks.)
but you have to use a wrapper for vst. weve been told in the next release
probably vst will be supported. as its in band in a box now.
all three also come with their own native suite of effects.
powertracks forte' is also a vast range of midi features, as well as the audio features. the included suite of plug ins is large and are low consumers of pc resources. which is why i only need an athlon versus other folks needing a more powerfull pc. all 3 are great apps.
each app has its own plusses and minuses.peace.
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

try Cubase SE or Sonar Home Studio
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

Maybe Audiomulch? try out the demo it's light and easy, with a Max/Msp type interface.. maybe it can suit your needs.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstq
Can someone recommend a good, inexpensive app for Windows which can take a 24 bit, 48 kHz WAV file and run a VST effects plugin on it (thus making a new 24 bit 48 kHz WAV file)? I'd also like the ability to audition what the wav with fx sounds like before committing to the plugin.

I've tried Audacity, and the VST support is currently terrible (no GUI for the VST plugin). I tried some free VST processor-type thing but it could only handle 16 bit 44.1 kHz files. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
I just did this research and found a really SWEET application called Bidule - check it out here: http://www.plogue.com/index.php?opti...d=21&Itemid=35

I was looking for a standalone surround-capable VST plugin host. It does this and WAY more. All for $75. OSX or Windows.

Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

As much as I hate to say so. Fruity Loops u can get the express for $50
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/ worth a look even if you have an expensive DAW.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search