The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PCI on PCI-X machine?
Old 6th May 2006
PCI on PCI-X machine?

I know, I know, this is a stupid question that I should already know the answer to. I haven't had to think about PCI/PCI-X/PCI-e for years, but now I need a new computer and need to keep my PCI cards, NOT upgrade to PCI-e.

So the dilema: The only non-PCI-e computers I can find are Refurbed dual 2.5 with "PCI-X." Will this machine, and others with PCI-X, allow me to use my Digi PCI cards?

Otherwise, what current (or new-ish) computers are you all buying to use with PCI cards?
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

http://www.digidesign.com/products/d...TOKEN=95446683

Not totally ouchless, costwise, but reasonable. Definitely cheaper and more efficient than swapping all your PT cards.

-dave
Old 6th May 2006
Shoud I assume then that a PCI-X machine will NOT allow standard PCI cards?

I'm familiar with the expansion chassis. It's more expensive than the PCI-->PCI-e upgrade so not an option.
Old 7th May 2006
Still no answer and I need to buy a computer soon.

Anyone?
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

it depends on the card, most modern PCI cards will work in PCI-X slots.
PCI-X just extends PCI to 64-bit it still works the same, however they so run a slightly different voltage. most moden PCI cards will work, some may be damaged.
the digidesign/magma chassis is still PCI-X. however magma do have a range of cheeper chassis aswell

you other option is to buy a PC that will still have PCI and PCI-X slots and out perform the duel G5 anyway
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

If your PCI cards will fit into the PCI-X slots on the computer, they should be fine. PCI slots are keyed by the spacers to (theoretically) only allow compaitable cards.

PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI. The issue is 5V vs 3.3V, and that should be handled by the keys. The only other issue is that early G5s had issues with certain cards, like the UAD-1.
Old 7th May 2006
Specifically, a ProTools HD Process card...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search