The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bitwig Studio DAW Software
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Bitwig Studio

Bitwig | Home

A new DAW with some interesting features.
More to be revealed at NAMM.

Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hint View Post
Bitwig | Home

A new DAW with some interesting features.
looks like Ableton Live copy
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

It's been made by some former Live developers. I think similarities with Live were inevitable.
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Maniac

You folks beat me to the punch. Former Ableton Live developers helped to put this program together. I'm hoping it'll be like Ableton Live 9.0 and pushes Ableton to push out another update.
Old 12th January 2012
it looks but crazy to me and smells with a lawsuit. i know thats not the case but when you look at it first its just a ableton with a different gui. tbh i dont mind another daw on this planet but this thing is just way to similar to ableton concept.
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiq View Post
it looks but crazy to me and smells with a lawsuit. i know thats not the case but when you look at it first its just a ableton with a different gui. tbh i dont mind another daw on this planet but this thing is just way to similar to ableton concept.
Since some of the Bitwig developers are responsible for the way Live looks and functions (up til now), perhaps they have some kind of ownership rights on certain GUI / workflow code or concepts?

Perhaps the next version of Live will look very different to Live 8, now that these guys are no longer working there?
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Is this legal? I guess if Behringer can, then so can these guys.

Anyways, I'm gonna try it out. It look pretty I think. Always keep an open mind, right.

Oh...and Reaper price tag please!
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

It contains almost all the most popular FRs, looking forward.
Old 12th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hint View Post
Since some of the Bitwig developers are responsible for the way Live looks (up til now), perhaps they have some kind of ownership rights on certain GUI / workflow elements?

Perhaps the next version of Live will look very different to Live 8, now that these guys are no longer working there?
yeah i know what you mean but those guys were just employees not founders of the company and as such they should not be allowed to just copy the concept the way they did. anyway we will see because when you look at it now most of the stuff that is there at the moment is a long time requested features from the live users lol. so it might be good for us to have two unique daws like that on the market .
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear
I like the promise of native modular functionality! Always wanted stuff like that
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

From the video it looks like there are no bezier automation curves...why can't they learn!? :(

Anyways, signed up for the beta.

Edit: Per-note automation looks nice.
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Hm, the user-interface is pretty easy on the eye.
Why can´t logic look like this???

(I mean the graphics, not necessarily the dark background - we´ll get that anyway if Logic X ever comes out...)
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

very naughty!...it IS ableton ..but with the file browser on the right and the other stuff on the left!
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear
Whats the full story behind Bitwig? Why exactly did they leave Ableton and who actually left?
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Nut

Competition is good....
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

And here we go!! Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn got a feeling that these guys are going to give a bit of a hard time to Live Ableton crew (although we already know some of the creators of BITW former A-Live).

Features looks interesting, they indeed have already many features that many would have wished into their respective DAW. Looking forward to take a look

Thanx for the heads up
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Old 12th January 2012
Gear Head

It looks so freaking sexy!!

Things that look interesting though:
Linux!!!
Native modular system? (No more Max!)
Per-note automation
Drum generators (I don't understand why Ableton hasn't done this yet)
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentzen View Post
eh, no AU support?
It's not clear yet but I bet AU will,mos definitely,be supported.
Old 13th January 2012
dio
Gear Addict

Not a single $ to Claes and Co. after the Vember Audio fiasco. No sence of business responsibility at all.

Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Not a single $ to Claes and Co. after the Vember Audio fiasco. No sence of business responsibility at all.

What happened with Vember? I'm vaguely familiar with their products but not the controversy.
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

OMG this DAW has the worst name ever ! but the DAW is AMAZING !!!
Old 13th January 2012
DSK
Lives for gear

Vember Audio created some amazing and very stable plugins.

Problem was he didn't develop them further but he still supports Surge.

You can still buy it. The illusion with plugins is that they can be forever improved for zero input from the buyer and that the developers can live fromother sources of income.

This is the same issue that people have with LennarDigital.

Fact is that the output of both of these companies is of an extremely high quality and in a complete and almost bug free form.

All of this negative attitude is because of the entitlement people have over digital creations.

They feel they should be: free, constantly updated at no cost and at the same time better than 1000nds of $$$ of equipment while making up for their lack of talent and skill.

Nevertheless Claes should be a bit(no pun) more communicative. Although wasting time answering redundant questions on his forum which BTW has a search function seemes to me like a waste of time, instead of just doing Bitwig Studio.
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Head

Old 13th January 2012
dio
Gear Addict

@DSK

I bought ShortCircuit with the promise to get version 2 once its released (whose price was said to rise after its release). The price I paid was 135 Euros. We all know what happened eventualy. Shortcircuit left in alpha/beta stage and set free, just so he starts a new project, go to Hawaii for vacations, or whatever I dont care. You will probably say that I bought a "fully developed" version 1 and I should be ok. Wrong, because when one of the main selling points is a brand new awesome version it essentialy becomes part of the product.

Now, I dont know exactly what kind of "entitlement people have over digital creations", but I hope you are not one of those customers who is happy with paying for substandard goods and services. I, thankfully, am not one of them.
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiq View Post
yeah i know what you mean but those guys were just employees not founders of the company and as such they should not be allowed to just copy the concept the way they did.
Steinberg invented the software sequencer , Acid,logic,Pro-tools,Live,Sonar etc copied the concept heh
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post
It's not clear yet but I bet AU will,mos definitely,be supported.
Not sure that's a problem, theres a VST version of almost every AU outhere.
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Addict

looks like there is no more soul at ableton since the former devellopers of Live are now bitwig ...

I love softwares with soul, no dongle and fair price for hobbyst,

Is BITWIG studio will be that ?
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekniksSamples View Post
Excellent !!
Old 13th January 2012
DSK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Now, I dont know exactly what kind of "entitlement people have over digital creations", but I hope you are not one of those customers who is happy with paying for substandard goods and services. I, thankfully, am not one of them.
I am sorry you got mislead by promises. This I didn't know and makes me a bit more reserved about getting on the Bitwig bandwagon blindfolded.

As for getting something with future promises, I personally have a rule:

Never ever be disappointed about lack of updates or promised features.
Everything I purchase, I purchase for what it is in that moment.
So I wave my money goodbye and look to the future.

So yes you may dress it as you want (a customer that is happy with subpar stuff) but for me is more simple than that: I always demo to bits the stuff I get and I am rarely disappointed because of that.

Still I demoed Surge and loved it a lot, but the price was a bit high for me at that moment.

I may revisit this plug as it stood the test of time (flexibility, stability and an unique timeless sound).

Overall Claes should learn about making promises he can't commit to!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search