The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bitwig Studio
Old 16th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
I'm not sure what that means. Bitwig has a bit more to it than Live. Live's a little too stripped down IMO.

Fair enough if that's your opinion. I personally don't see many differences.
Code. A lot less code. Bitwig is all new and nippy. Live feels like a quagmire of fixes to age old underlayers of code with issues buried under there that can never be cured without collapsing the whole house. And the feeling of using it is completely different for me, ultimately polar opposite in fact.
Old 16th March 2015
F5D
Lives for gear

Could not wait anymore, just bought the Bitwig! The GUI speed and editing workflow are just so much better than in Logic. I cannot wait to start building new projects with this thing, and to see how it develops in the becoming versions. I wish they add the audio unit support asap!
lxm
Gear Addict

Does it have comping yet?
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
Could not wait anymore, just bought the Bitwig! The GUI speed and editing workflow are just so much better than in Logic. I cannot wait to start building new projects with this thing, and to see how it develops in the becoming versions. I wish they add the audio unit support asap!
If not you can run AU's in it with Blue Cat Patchwork I think.
Old 17th March 2015 | Show parent
F5D
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
If not you can run AU's in it with Blue Cat Patchwork I think.
Thanks, I need to check that out. However, native AU support is still very important. Wrappers and extra stuff in between sounds to me like possible problems. I am quite sure, they will add the AU support later, should not be too complicated.
Old 28th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Hi chaps.....

So....futzing around on Bitwig and the Sampler is giving me grief. Basically, the amp envelope attack won't stay in one place, making my kick drum come and go big time.......completely annoying!!

Has anyone had this and am I being stupid and missing something??
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Hi chaps.....

So....futzing around on Bitwig and the Sampler is giving me grief. Basically, the amp envelope attack won't stay in one place, making my kick drum come and go big time.......completely annoying!!

Has anyone had this and am I being stupid and missing something??
You haven't accidentally applied modulation to it? If so it should wobble back and forth between blue and orange. Rightclick the knob and, if modulated, it should say for instance "Modulation LFO > [+1.02].
If it does, click "Clear" below!

Another reason could be automation. If that's the case you should see a red dot next to the knob.

Hope it helps!
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepydog View Post
You haven't accidentally applied modulation to it? If so it should wobble back and forth between blue and orange. Rightclick the knob and, if modulated, it should say for instance "Modulation LFO > [+1.02].
If it does, click "Clear" below!

Another reason could be automation. If that's the case you should see a red dot next to the knob.

Hope it helps!
Thank you. It seems to be ok again now on checking. I kind of left it running tog et on with the music. But I did check the lfo's before and have no automation running at all......weird.
Old 29th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Does anyone know whether the Bitwig crew are going to implement something like Midi CC learn across the board at any point? Like Ableton?

I have a Livid Alias8 and the simple task of assigning the 16 buttons to the mute buttons of 16 tracks while assigning some of the knobs to effects sends as to be able to do some proper dub arranging seems impossible unless one was to code it for oneself.

Which isn't something I plan to spend time on learning.......

BLOODY annoying actually. All this talk of great controller action and script possibilities and I can't even set it up in such a simple way......
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear

I tried it, like it, love polysynth. But I'm not pulling the trigger until All promises are kept. The build a synth aspect and mapping being paramount.
Old 2nd February 2016
Gear Addict

Found this thread to post some new stuff about bitwig. I found some other threads about bitwig, but this one seemed the most appropriate.

Ott - It's Bitwig week...

They originally sent me a free copy when it first came out, in exchange for any technical feedback I could give them, so I dived in and really liked what I found. After a short while, though, it became apparent that it wasn’t entirely finished, so I sent them a couple of long emails detailing what I thought needed fixing [which they thanked me for] and put it away, hoping that the next version would feel a bit more complete.

v1.1 was released this week so I updated and gave it another try.
I’m *very* happy to report that they have most definitely been putting the hours in, because the list of bugfixes is enormous, the list of improvements similarly so, and the new features are superb.

Now, I promise this isn’t some kind of greasy ‘endorsement’ thing, where they give me a free sequencer in exchange for glowing reviews on the internet. All they ever asked me for was technical feedback [which is more than any other software company has ever asked me for: none of the others have ever even answered my ****ing emails!] I’m raving about it because I think it is the first genuinely innovative sequencer I’ve used since Ableton Live, thirteen years ago, and they seem genuinely interested in what their potential users think of their software.

The new Note Mod and Audio Mod devices are preposterously brilliant and the overall effect is that of a fully integrated environment, where everything does what you hope it is going to and there are none of the seemingly arbitrary blocks to creativity you find in other programs.

It just seems to suck the music out of you! I keep sitting down with it, to see if I can find its shortcomings and, within 45 minutes, coming up with these absurd musical Heath Robinson devices, where the volume of *this* is modulating the LFO speed of *that* and the midi notes of *this* are modulating the phaser depth of *that*…

Bitwig plainly owes a lot to the design innovations of Ableton Live and no doubt there is an element of them ‘riding on giant’s shoulders’. I’m aware of the connection between the two companies but they way Bitwig have taken the idea and turned it into everything I hoped Live would become, but didn’t, is very gratifying.

Tabbed projects, hybrid tracks, clips AND arrangement on the same screen, totally interconnectable and modular by design [and set to become more so, if their press is to be believed] and no ****ing MAX MSP in sight! The arrange window ‘reads’ left to right, with the mixer controls on the left like EVERY other sequencer EVER [Ableton, wtf were you thinking?] and the plugin delay compensation works so well I completely forgot to think about it.
It would appear that Bitwig have been listening more attentively to Ableton Live’s user-base than Ableton have.

If it proves to be as bulletproof stable as Ableton 9 has been [on my system anyway] I can see me using it live, and if they can resist filling it full of pointless DAW bloat [no ****ing score editor and multisampled oboes!] and keep it light and focussed, I think it’s going to go on to become a classic, and an incredible tool for the generation of live electronic music.

I also reckon there will have been some pretty terse developer meetings at Ableton Headquarters this week.

I like OTT a lot. He's a pretty amazing producer.

I'm happy enough with Ableton 9 (not even upgraded to .5 yet). I checked out bitwig on Linux, but meh, maybe in a few years time...

Still, I thought it was pretty interesting what he had to say, so thought I'd share it.
Old 19th April 2016
Gear Nut
So what's the general concensus now that's it's two years old etc?

I noticed people stopped posting here (unless jumped to another thread)
Old 19th April 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post

It's great. We're busy composing.
Old 19th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post

Bitwig have their support at kvraudio so i think that's where the bitwiggers hang out
Old 20th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentzen View Post
eh, no AU support?

http://www.bitwig.com/contact.php

and there they are sitting with Macs all over the place :-)
Still the case in 2016 if you can believe it. LOL one of the reasons it's relegated to running 32 bit plugins and I use Live for all else. Oh yeah, Jack is a PITA and Live Rewires too.
Old 20th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepydog View Post
Bitwig have their support at kvraudio so i think that's where the bitwiggers hang out
If you don't mind weeding through a message board filled with 17 yr olds, I'll add. They post cats everywhere. As in felines. Not that it matters, but I am very much a dog person.
Old 20th April 2016
F5D
Lives for gear

Have been following the development at KVR forum, where the official Bitwig forum is located. Still have not had time to really test the software in real use, but will have the opportunity soon, after wiring of my studio is complete. Generally, I really like Bitwig, the user interface is miles faster than that of Logic, good use of colors (my style), the simplicity and also many shortcut editing buttons for audio and piano roll. What I would like to see are support for mono tracks for wiring external gear, and audio units. Somehow I think Bitwig 2.0 will be a great DAW, when it comes out.

I am a cat person.
Old 21st April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Meow.
Old 22nd April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Meow.
QFT
Old 5th January 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Anyone know how to make it so the hardware insert plug is properly compensated, so one can use the mix dial on hardware without phase issues at all? Is it doable?
📝 Reply