The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bitwig Studio DAW Software
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekniksSamples View Post
Brilliant ! So... is Ableton up for sale ?

or.. Maybe APPLE bought Ableton, which is why both Live 9 and Logic Pro X are late to the show. Maybe Logic Pro X will have Live 9 residing inside it heh
Old 13th January 2012
Gear maniac

This is exciting. I'm a Pro Tools guy who does heavy sequencing; I learned Live but the interface drives me insane - it is so hard to stare it after a few hours of work. Hopefully this bridges the gap between between Ableton and traditional DAWs. I would love to have a program I actually enjoy using to do certain sequencing in. Crossing my fingers it's re-wriable while using VSTs!!!!!!

Chris
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Dumb name. Ugly gui. A few obvious new features they took from the Live forum user requests. I don't get why anyone is excited by this. If this company showed even one iota of original or creative thinking it might be promising, but I'm pretty sure when Live 9 eventually comes out this thing is going to be in trouble.
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
Dumb name. Ugly gui. A few obvious new features they took from the Live forum user requests. I don't get why anyone is excited by this. If this company showed even one iota of original or creative thinking it might be promising, but I'm pretty sure when Live 9 eventually comes out this thing is going to be in trouble.
Good Luck to Ableton
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

All ableton has to do is implement a few of these same long-standing feature requests and then what would be the incentive to move to bitwig?

The thing is Ableton generally doesn't release updates that simply fulfill a few feature requests. There is almost always some other creative new feature or instrument as well, so it would be pretty easy for Ableton to one-up Bitwig with Live 9. And in fact, if you want to get conspiratorial about it, I wouldn't be surprised if they have been intentionally holding back 9 while waiting to see what happens with bitwig.

The integrated modular stuff looks like the most interesting part of bitwig but that's just a future promise, not an actual feature.
Old 13th January 2012
Gear nut

multi monitor support. finally
Old 13th January 2012
Deleted User
Software Bitwig [looks very promising]

Many of the features listed are precisely what Live has been lacking, some are innovations, like the real-time LAN jamming... wow!

And btw, as it says below, this was founded by former Ableton employees.

I own Live, but my money has to be on the features I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthtopia.com
Here’s something we weren’t expecting – developers at Bitwig, a Berlin music startup, have introduced a new music performance and production system, Bitwig Studio.

Bitwig Studio is in development and officially ‘coming soon’ – but it already looks familiar. Sort of what you’d expect Ableton Live 9 to look like……

Which isn’t too far-fetched, since Bitwig was actually founded by some former Ableton employees.

Here are the features for this new live performance and production DAW:

Multitrack recording – Record and produce your music in an intuitive workflow. Bitwig Studio’s arranger is a mix of editing power, ease of use and flexibility.
Arranger clip launcher – A non-linear environment that lets you trigger clips in real-time.
Mixer clip launcher – An alternative view of the clip launcher aligned with the mixer, optimized for live performance and DJing
Generic tracks – Tracks accept any kind of material. Audio and notes can live on the same track. You can bounce note clips to audio in place.
Clip automation – In addition to traditional track automation, automation can also be recorded and packaged inside clips, both on the clip launcher and the arranger.
Per-note automation – Pitch variations can be applied to individual notes directly in the piano roll. You can also edit a note’s panning, timbre and volume curves.
Simultaneous multitrack editing – Edit contents of multiple tracks together. You can see them all juxtaposed and isolate only the ones you want to edit
Multiple audio events per clip – An audio clip can contain multiple audio events. You can chop and edit audio files inside a clip non-destructively and loop it all as a package.
Real-time time stretching – Bitwig Studio’s proprietary technology lets you match any audio material to the document tempo and get everything in sync.
‘World-class’ sound devices
Device nesting – Devices can contain other devices, and the whole package can be saved as a preset. Many of preset instruments and effects use nesting in new and powerful ways.
32/64 bit VST support – Use your VST plug-ins. In case of a plug-in crash, a protective mechanism prevents the application from crashing and you from losing your work.
Metadata-based browser – Find your musical material quickly. Add tags and search by content type.
Open multiple documents – Exchange musical material between documents. Drag and drop, copy and paste back and forth.
Multi-monitor support – Bitwig Studio offers flexible screensets to take full advantage of your monitor configuration
‘Slick’ user interface – Bitwig Studio’s user interface has been designed with the goal of making your music creation experience ‘fun and intuitive’.
These are the key features for Bitwig 1.0. Can you find the things that you can’t currently do in Ableton Live?

Bitwig has several more interesting features under development. These are planned for a later release:

LAN multi-user jamming – Multiple users can jam on the same document, and everything can be captured in the document’s arrangement
Multi-user music production over the internet – Multiple users can compose music on the same document from different locations. Bitwig Studio keeps everything in sync.
Native modular system – Create your own instruments and effects or modify existing ones. Design their appearance and share them with the world.
Check out the demo and features for Bitwig Studio and let us know what you think of it. Could it give Ableton Live some competition?
Old 13th January 2012
Clip Automation is the way to go! (feature request since Live 1.0)
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

I use sonar X1 and we have a "live" veiw in !!! so when can trigger cellules (audio , midi , loops ect) and record the performance real time sequencing strutcure ....cool ....but i know this is not the industry standard ...we're only bits for years ...and have plenty of great future and it's not expensive so that can't be serious ...
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
Clip Automation is the way to go! (feature request since Live 1.0)
Wasn't this the one that they said wasn't possible though due to the way the program is built? You're talking about recording automation into clips in session view right? I wouldn't be surprised at all if they've been doing a big rewrite in the last few years of silence.
Old 14th January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiq View Post
yeah i know what you mean but those guys were just employees not founders of the company and as such they should not be allowed to just copy the concept the way they did. anyway we will see because when you look at it now most of the stuff that is there at the moment is a long time requested features from the live users lol. so it might be good for us to have two unique daws like that on the market .
The concept? Walk into a music shop and have a look around. How many brands of guitar are based on the same concept? What about outboard gear? EQs? Daws? Logic, protools, reaper, etc, etc? Microphones? Speakers? Everything! Nobody in this industry has exclusive rights to a concept.

Juding a DAW by its GUI is nothing more than judging a book by its cover. Software doesn't need a GUI to operate. A GUI is an added stage of translation that allows for the visual consumption of machine code. Granted, a daw program with no GUI is a little stupid, the fact that this new daw bares a lot of similarities to Ableton Live visually doesn't mean it is coded anything like it. The underlying function and design could be far, far superior, future-proof and expandable.

Who knows. I have never used it... but I welcome anyone who picks up an existing concept and runs with it. Competition is a healthy thing. Maybe it will be the final straw to pushing ableton live from the pseudo-doof live performance platform that it is to being a really powerful compositional platform that is has the potential to be. They should start with better studio implementation. The way it handles ADC for I/O and hardware setup could be vastly improved.
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekniksSamples View Post
Hahaha!heh Nerdy, but very funny.
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
All ableton has to do is implement a few of these same long-standing feature requests and then what would be the incentive to move to bitwig?

The thing is Ableton generally doesn't release updates that simply fulfill a few feature requests. There is almost always some other creative new feature or instrument as well, so it would be pretty easy for Ableton to one-up Bitwig with Live 9. And in fact, if you want to get conspiratorial about it, I wouldn't be surprised if they have been intentionally holding back 9 while waiting to see what happens with bitwig.

The integrated modular stuff looks like the most interesting part of bitwig but that's just a future promise, not an actual feature.
I love live frankly but never update to 8,

It seems the best devs from ableton are bitwig now

still no live 9 since 3 years, still bug fixes for live 8 since 3 years

it's looks like a dead end, this company lost all its soul it seems.

if those guys release the hyper stable and not so expensive live like daw they win

i will take a look definitively,

and really I don't care about fake intellectual properties about GUI,

it's all about competition for the benefit of the customers
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

DJTechTools have a couple of interesting quotes from one of the Bitwig guys:

DJ TechTools

Quote:
... he said that they (Bitwig) admire Ableton a lot, and want rebuild some good parts of it and extend upon them. Live is a big chunk of software nowadays, and Bitwig wants to create a more focused experience and added features they consider important.
Quote:
Placidus assured us that the Bitwig Studio team wrote all the code themselves and that they don’t think they’ll be sued - but he was careful to note that he couldn’t tell for sure that it won’t happen.
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choukette View Post
I love live frankly but never update to 8,

It seems the best devs from ableton are bitwig now
How do you know that? The guy who started Bitwig was apparently only at Ableton starting in 2007 and left right after the release of Live 8. So if you're on 7 still he probably had almost nothing to do with the version you use. I'm not sure about the other two guys but at any rate it's not like Robert Henke left.
Old 14th January 2012
DSK
Lives for gear

Robert Henke left Ableton a long time ago from what I remember.

He's still close to them you can imagine but he is not a full time developer.
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Addict

if they would only change that name!
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

Any product name with more then 20% of the letters being "i" is a total fail!
Maybe us sluts should help these guys out and create a real cool name for their product?
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homunculus View Post
if they would only change that name!
Indeed that the NAME is a turn off for me and don't like it at all (although I'll check it out when its out like many). Espcially the #WIG thing anyways, lets see
Old 14th January 2012
Gear maniac

I judge a music product based on it's name because I'm a smart person\
Old 14th January 2012
DSK
Lives for gear

Don't fear the Reaper!
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
Don't fear the Reaper!
ahahahahha exactly mate although I prefer the name Reaper faar from bitwig
Old 14th January 2012
DSK
Lives for gear

Don't get me started on the "I use only PRO's TOOLS... every other set of tools out there ain't so pro" or the "I don't find LOGIC in layout of other sequencers", "I'm not ABLE to get a good TONE without my session view" and " I find this thread fool of inNUENDOs.." "so I'll C U in my BASE " crowds..

...it is a bit silly if you think about how stuff is named rather than how useful it really is/isn't to you.

But I give you that.. it's a corny name. But I applaud their offbeat attitude..

So what would you choose "BITWIG" all the DAWs?
Old 15th January 2012
Tui
Gear Guru

I bet Bitwig sounds a bit like Dimwit. heh
Old 15th January 2012
bof
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister View Post
Any product name with more then 20% of the letters being "i" is a total fail!
Yeah. Like those useless iPod and iPad things.
Old 15th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Don't get me started on the "I use only PRO's TOOLS... every other set of tools out there ain't so pro" or the "I don't find LOGIC in layout of other sequencers", "I'm not ABLE to get a good TONE without my session view" and " I find this thread fool of inNUENDOs.." "so I'll C U in my BASE " crowds..

...it is a bit silly if you think about how stuff is named rather than how useful it really is/isn't to you.

But I give you that.. it's a corny name. But I applaud their offbeat attitude..

So what would you choose "BITWIG" all the DAWs?
true, i also like the offbeat attitude, its just a really weird name for a daw, even so i am looking foward to trying this out since i am an ableton user, how its called will not effect my final judgement but still what an ugly namee lol
Old 15th January 2012
bof
Lives for gear

If the name bitwig is a German name, then one possible English translation of wig is TIG (as in Tungsten Inert Gas welding equipment), so it's a bit welder.

I like it. It's no more stupid than the name Sony.
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Of course the name doesn't affect how the program works and absolutely shouldn't matter to the user. But like other seemingly superficial things like design, it says something to me about how the developers think. When I see a company with a dumb name and no original ideas I'm not that confident that they know wtf they're doing under the hood either.

Quote:
He's still close to them you can imagine but he is not a full time developer.
Was he ever? I thought he was more of an idea guy. And wasn't Operator his baby?
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
When I see a company with a dumb name and no original ideas I'm not that confident that they know wtf they're doing under the hood either.

Yeah. Ableton is a lot less dumb. Or Logic. How about "Apple"? Whoever came up with that could never know wtf they're doing.

Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bof View Post
Yeah. Like those useless iPod and iPad things.
A lowercase "i" at the beginning of a product name is a case for itself.
That makes it all worse of course!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search