The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 problem, help me out?
Old 1st December 2011
Here for the gear

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 problem, help me out?

So I purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 box to go with my Pro Tools 10 Win 7 64-bit set-up, but I'm having problems. Basically, the box won't run in 24-bit. When I first installed the Scarlett driver, the option for 24-bit was available in Windows sound settings, but it said my device was not compatible. Annoyed but not deterred, I downloaded the latest driver update. The result? The 24-bit option has disappeared completely.

Help please?
Old 1st December 2011
Here for the gear

0/80? Darn.
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Head

Did you check the clock on your sound settings and in the mix software? Make sure everything is up to date.
Old 2nd December 2011
Focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
So I purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 box to go with my Pro Tools 10 Win 7 64-bit set-up, but I'm having problems. Basically, the box won't run in 24-bit. When I first installed the Scarlett driver, the option for 24-bit was available in Windows sound settings, but it said my device was not compatible. Annoyed but not deterred, I downloaded the latest driver update. The result? The 24-bit option has disappeared completely.

Help please?
Hi Mr Sandman,

The WDM (windows sound) driver uses 16 bit audio however the ASIO driver is 24 bit by default and this cannot be changed, hence no option for it. As long as you set your Pro Tools session to 24 bit and select the Focusrite USB 2.0 ASIO driver then you'll be recording 24 bit with the Scarlett 2i2.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Chris
Focusrite Support
Old 1st November 2012
Here for the gear

I have a focusrite scarlette 2i2 running on windows xp, I'v read others have had the same issues when playing youtube videos etc after a while the sound slows right down and stutters, so I have to switch interface on and off, it's really annoying. Does anyone have a link to the latest driver and also how I go about installing it?? Much appreciated any help!!!
Old 5th November 2012
Focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearn View Post
I have a focusrite scarlette 2i2 running on windows xp, I'v read others have had the same issues when playing youtube videos etc after a while the sound slows right down and stutters, so I have to switch interface on and off, it's really annoying. Does anyone have a link to the latest driver and also how I go about installing it?? Much appreciated any help!!!
You can find the latest software here: Downloads | Focusrite

If you have any problems after this please contact our support team here: The Official Source for Focusrite Product Support and Information .: Focusrite Answerbase

Chris
Focusrite Support
Old 8th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Hi I posted about this issue a few days ago and recommend people not to buy Scarlett

I had it for 6 weeks tech support was unable to help
I downloaded new drivers and did what they asked for ...
This crap never worked
I finally sold it

I guess your best option is to sell it so far many people are not aware it is the worst usb interface on the market ... it looks good, it's focusrite ... but IT DOESN'T WORK !!!
Old 8th November 2012
Gear Maniac

and yes I had the latest drivers too
Old 8th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioland View Post
Hi I posted about this issue a few days ago and recommend people not to buy Scarlett

I had it for 6 weeks tech support was unable to help
I downloaded new drivers and did what they asked for ...
This crap never worked
I finally sold it

I guess your best option is to sell it so far many people are not aware it is the worst usb interface on the market ... it looks good, it's focusrite ... but IT DOESN'T WORK !!!
And yet you refused to try it with other systems to rule out your computer being the problem.

Yet I'm sure you sold it as working.

Contradictions there don't you think?

Plenty of people have them working fine.

I'm not defending what sort of customer service you had, but to just claim it doesn't work and to continue to whine when you hardly helped yourself seems a little petulant to me.
Old 8th November 2012
Gear Head

In defense, I bought the Focusrite 8i6 scarlett interface and it worked beautifully from the get go.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST
Old 15th November 2012
Here for the gear

same with the new 2i4. So if I change the audio device to ASIO4ALL, it will come out as 24 bit too ?...as that driver gives less latency but still coming through the 2i4 ?
Old 8th December 2012
Gear Head
its 24 bit recording, not 24 bit output. you can only change it in the DAW ASIO drivers, and it will only affect recording.
Old 12th January 2013
Here for the gear

I purchased the Scarlett 2i2 originally to eliminate this feedback hum I was getting from my Studio Monitors when my laptop was charging. When I hooked it up, it worked flawlessly. HOWEVER, I just bought the pairing subwoofer for the monitors and the sound has come back. Instead of routing my monitors into the interface directly I have to route them into the sub and then the sub into the interface. It took me back to square one; The hum exists through all 3 speakers now when my laptop is charging, but goes away when its not charging. What could be the cause of this? Is the sub pushing out more power? I still hear the noise faintly even if my sub is off and my monitors are on.

I am currently using 64bit Windows 7 on an I7 laptop with 2 Yamaha HS80M studio monitors, one Yamaha HS10W subwoofer and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

as far as routing goes i have the HS80m's>HS10w>2i2>Usb Cable> computer.

I am using a cheaper brand of Xlr and TRS balanced cables.
Old 16th January 2013
Gear Nut
Interesting.. I'd start with normal group loop troubleshooting steps. Are all the devices plugged into the same power drop?
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Head

Well i want to write about my problems with scarlett 2i2, the techs from focusrite couldn't solve them. It couldn't play videos from my slave hard, they start for second and then stop, finally i figured out that it was stuck in pio mode, and i solved that. The second one is that it doesn't work with usb 1.1, i thought that it's compatible (it says it in the user guide) but it's not, windows doesn't recognize it like a sound card, and i can't use it, and on my laptop i have only usb 1.1. The third one maybe isn't a problem but this is just how the scarlett works, but if someone with xp sp 3 can confirm that, in control panel in sounds and audio devices in audio column under the sound playback if i hit volume button it says that "There is a problem with your sound hardware. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware." With my old fast track i could use that. About youtube i didn't have slowering but stuttering yes, and the only work around is to restart the interface. Disappointed with these problems, otherwise the build quality is great the mic preamps are also great, and i hadn't the problem with low sound from the headphones, but maybe because i use low impedance one.
Old 17th January 2013
Focusrite

What's your case no. for support? I'll happily look into this further to see if any more can be done to help.

Chris
Focusrite Support
Old 18th January 2013
Kas
Gear Maniac

I use my 2i2 daily and have no probs. Get rid of XP.
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Focusrite View Post
What's your case no. for support? I'll happily look into this further to see if any more can be done to help.

Chris
Focusrite Support
Case 170700.
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

Same problem with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Only 16 Bit poor sound quality coming out of this crap box.

I cant change it to the advertised 24 Bit in the WDM drivers. Even if i change it in my DAW Asio Drivers it has no effect on audio quality however. It still sounds like crap 16 Bit low depht back to the 90s oldschool audio interface.

That was my first experience with this Focusrite brand and my last for sure. Well for only 16 Bit the sound is not too bad. But if you compare it with every other interface or even onboard chips capable of 24 Bit its simply ridiculous that this thing costs 100+ $.

Never trust Focusrite again its for sure the lowest quality in audio i ever bought.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

just to put another view in - very happy user of this interface, works and sounds great
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck View Post
just to put another view in - very happy user of this interface, works and sounds great

Whats your OS, please?

Thanks

Ciro
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

Win 7 64bit on a off-the-shelf Hp Pavilion dv7-7199ez, i7 3610QM, 17.3
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

Just to throw in my own experience with the 2i2, I've been recording with it for 3 months now and enjoy it.

It's not my main rig but I'd bought a new laptop and chose the 2i2 as an interface for the new lappie.

Like some of the others here I was confused with the restrictive 24 bit option in the Focusrite panel but was still able to choose 24 bit in my DAW (Sonar X1). Focusrite support told me choosing 24 bit in my DAW is getting me 24 bit tracks so I'm just going with that explanation and my tracks sound fine to me.

Admittedly, I really had to work with this thing to get things right. At first it stuttered, it locked up (froze), it did all kinds of weird crap. But eventually I was able to iron out all those issues. Again, the same issues everyone else has complained about in this thread. If I weren't able to work out those issues, trust me I would have returned it.

I find the pre's to be smooth and sweet as compared to the pre's on other USB or FW boxes I've used in the $300-$500 range which is surprising.

The only drawback I don't like is the 2i2 clips rather easily, there's very little headroom. But at this price ($119) nothing's going to be perfect.

Win7 is my platform, the laptop is an Acer Aspire w/Intel i3 2350M (Sandy Bridge) Dual Core.

Focurite's step by step online help was integral to helping me optimize my machine for audio performance.
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

Even if you change it to 24 or even 32 Bit the sound quality doesnt change as ive tested the Scarlett 2i2. Its definetly still 16 Bit only.

This results in a very dull sounding not depth sound i know from max 50 $ interfaces or crap onboard chips.

Even my intern soundchip has way superior depht and clear differences of the instruments i use in my setup. The pre amps are not too bad i never said that even they clip very soon. But having only 16 Bit Output no matter what you set it to in another software by the ASIO drivers makes it unusable for proffessional audio recording or audiophile listening nowadays.

If it was 1990 id say great interface but nowadays its just way too expensive crap. Even my lowest Audio 2 from NI which cost me 80 $ can do 24 Bit 96 khz natively and you HEAR the difference! Suddenly the sound is not so noisy and the differences and loudness of each instruments is in another league.

Id say advertising the Scarletts as 24 bit devices is a betray. Ive tested my recordings and the noise and dull sound doesnt change no matter what Bit depht i set it to in my DAW.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

Another daily user of a 2i2 with no complaints. Worked fine from day 1. No dullness noted. Simple stuff that just does it's job.

'Instrument in' runs a little hot (clips at low gain) if plugging straight into combo jack using a TR cable, but I run instruments into this using a DI box anyhow...no problem.

From the Focusrite site: Is my interface in 16 bit, or 24 bit on Windows? .: Focusrite Answerbase
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

Hard to argue with a lobby of happy customers

About that info in their answerbase it looks like an excuse not a proper explanation. Just do some tests in comparison with 24 Bit Interfaces and you will hear what i mean.

And i wouldnt also had complaints if i wasnt using 24 Bit Interfaces before. But as it is i can hear the downgrade and even my not audiophile wife asks me why the sound is degraded.

If you are used to 16 Bit audio interfaces this card is good and very stable in all aspects but for me the quality (at least the standard of 24 Bit depth) matters.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstaronez View Post

About that info in their answerbase it looks like an excuse not a proper explanation. Just do some tests in comparison with 24 Bit Interfaces and you will hear what i mean.

And i wouldnt also had complaints if i wasnt using 24 Bit Interfaces before. But as it is i can hear the downgrade and even my not audiophile wife asks me why the sound is degraded.

If you are used to 16 Bit audio interfaces this card is good and very stable in all aspects but for me the quality (at least the standard of 24 Bit depth) matters.
I personally would not get hung up too much about the 16bit dephth. As long as you record good levels, it should not make a world of difference. Plenty of good records were made with this bit dephth, no?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

I was scared with the comments here about the 2i2. IF there were problems with this interface and XP (my os), they were solved with the new driver (2.4)
Excellent sound, it beats by far my old interface.
I bought it mostly for the D/A, which sounds amazing. Had a great surprise pluging a mic today, the preamps are also terrific!
I´m a very happy user

Ciro
Old 26th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstaronez View Post

I don't think you understand bit depth. 16 bit doesn't make things sound "dull". If you hear anything amiss, it'll be quantization noise in low level signals. Record hot and it should be as good as 24bit recording.

You clearly have a different problem - but I'm 100% certain it's not related to 16bit recording.
Old 3rd February 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I don't think you understand bit depth. 16 bit doesn't make things sound "dull". If you hear anything amiss, it'll be quantization noise in low level signals. Record hot and it should be as good as 24bit recording.

You clearly have a different problem - but I'm 100% certain it's not related to 16bit recording.
Of course i know what 16 Bit depth means and im sure everyone will hear the difference between 16 / 24 / 32 Bit on good monitors. Actually im working with 32 Bit Sabre converters and the difference is extreme.

Bit depht has a direct influence on the noise floor and so the transparency and clearness of the sound. Even you play 16 Bit recorded sounds with a 32 Bit capable converter its a difference you can hear when comparing it to a 16 Bit or even 24 Bit converter.

Maybe my ears are too good but i guess its more due to the fact that the distance to the noise floor is bigger and makes it possible to have more "black holes" between the different instruments of the sound source.

Since using the 32 Bit sabre chip i cant imagine going back to even 24 Bit converters and specially not 16 Bit ones. Its a very big difference and recording hot doesnt solve the clearness / transparency gap.

I compared the 2i2 to 24 Bit NI Interfaces and my 32 Bit sabre converter and its really a step forward each.

Edit:

In addition my new sabre chip has something like a 3d area effect i dont understand why but when i close my eyes its very easy to imagine standing directly infront of a real band playing but to monitors.. why that is i dont know yet. Even my AKM 24 Bit converters which sound pretty silk but also natural/analog in all situations cant do this 3d realism effect.

Another strange thing even the 32 Bit converter is clearly superior to the AKM. I can hear longer without any fatigue to this converter than to my new Sabre 32 Bit one. The sound is not as natural and 3dish but its less tiring. Hopefully its because the Sabre is not yet burned in.
📝 Reply