The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 problem, help me out?
Old 3rd February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstaronez View Post
Of course i know what 16 Bit depth means and im sure everyone will hear the difference between 16 / 24 / 32 Bit on good monitors. Actually im working with 32 Bit Sabre converters and the difference is extreme.

Bit depht has a direct influence on the noise floor and so the transparency and clearness of the sound. Even you play 16 Bit recorded sounds with a 32 Bit capable converter its a difference you can hear when comparing it to a 16 Bit or even 24 Bit converter.

Maybe my ears are too good but i guess its more due to the fact that the distance to the noise floor is bigger and makes it possible to have more "black holes" between the different instruments of the sound source.

Since using the 32 Bit sabre chip i cant imagine going back to even 24 Bit converters and specially not 16 Bit ones. Its a very big difference and recording hot doesnt solve the clearness / transparency gap.

I compared the 2i2 to 24 Bit NI Interfaces and my 32 Bit sabre converter and its really a step forward each.

Edit:

In addition my new sabre chip has something like a 3d area effect i dont understand why but when i close my eyes its very easy to imagine standing directly infront of a real band playing but to monitors.. why that is i dont know yet. Even my AKM 24 Bit converters which sound pretty silk but also natural/analog in all situations cant do this 3d realism effect.

Another strange thing even the 32 Bit converter is clearly superior to the AKM. I can hear longer without any fatigue to this converter than to my new Sabre 32 Bit one. The sound is not as natural and 3dish but its less tiring. Hopefully its because the Sabre is not yet burned in.
...no...you don't understand it!

Your ears have a dynamic range of approx 120dB. A 24bit converter has a dynamic range of 144dB (in theory - in practice it's a bit under). A 32bit converter..well, I'm not convinced there IS a true 32bit converter...but do you see why it wouldn't make a sonic difference to the human ear?

And no - it's not cos your ears are superhuman.

Either way, 16 bit doesn't sound "duller" than 24 or 32bit. That's a frequency change, and bit depth and frequency are for the most part unrelated. Easy to check - dither a 24bit file to 16bit, see if you can tell the difference in an abx test.

I'm sure your new converters are way better than your old ones, and that's the reason you hear a difference. Of course, we'll take your word for it....no chance there's a bit if confirmation bias in there is there?!
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
...no...you don't understand it!

Your ears have a dynamic range of approx 120dB. A 24bit converter has a dynamic range of 144dB (in theory - in practice it's a bit under). A 32bit converter..well, I'm not convinced there IS a true 32bit converter...but do you see why it wouldn't make a sonic difference to the human ear?

And no - it's not cos your ears are superhuman.

Either way, 16 bit doesn't sound "duller" than 24 or 32bit. That's a frequency change, and bit depth and frequency are for the most part unrelated. Easy to check - dither a 24bit file to 16bit, see if you can tell the difference in an abx test.

I'm sure your new converters are way better than your old ones, and that's the reason you hear a difference. Of course, we'll take your word for it....no chance there's a bit if confirmation bias in there is there?!
The 120 db for the human ears is correct but 24 Bit converters do not have a dynamic range of 144db since you have to subtract the noise floor, which is depending on different factors.

Most manufacteurs are posting the relative correct dynamic range of their products and not the theoretically possible dynamic range of any 24 Bit conversion.

The noise floor also subtracts relative to that some Bits. On 24 Bit conversion its about 4 - 6 Bit and on 16 Bit 3 - 4 Bit ending in a lower resolution than the dithered 16 Bit. (16 Bit - 3 Bit = 13 Bit result in 16 Bit converters)

Thats where the clearness loss comes from and why nowadays everything should be at least 24 Bit or even better 32 Bit.

For 32 Bit there is even more room for the noise floor giving a very high nearly fully audible dynamic range of up to 125+ db subtracting the relative noise floor which is the reason you can hear the difference to lower bit resolution recordings.

Anyway i dont want to fight you its just different opinions on how the maths works i guess and we should just be more tolerant to each other.

Im not telling you that you dont understand things as you do. I only want to point to the fact that I can hear the differences of 16 Bit, 24 Bit and 32 Bit conversion clearly.

If you dont its ok i dont want to argue on your opinion. But considering some of the facts of both sides helps all of us to find the truth at the end which these kind of threads are made for.

Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Tracking at 24 bit wordlength is inarguably better than at 16 bits for multiple reasons.

The 2i2 is definitely capable of grabbing some really nice captures though and that remains a truth.
Old 18th April 2013
Here for the gear

See, The thing that fixed all these audio problems stopping from playing. Or it sounding buggy, was simple. All i did was take the usb wire/connector of the card from my usb port, and then i pluged it back in, and within a few seconds, It worked like a charm.
I hope this is the same problem you were having. I also think that scarlite were more focused on building a sturdy case that you can take into war then in your studio.
Old 19th April 2013
Gear Maniac

I had trouble getting my Scarlett working on windows 7. Turned out it didn't like the USB3.0 port. Switched to a 2.0 and works great.
Old 19th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asap audio View Post
I had trouble getting my Scarlett working on windows 7. Turned out it didn't like the USB3.0 port. Switched to a 2.0 and works great.
And what's your opinion on the preamps and capture?
Old 20th April 2013
Here for the gear

Regarding that 16bit 24bit discussion here's a good link to clear it up. 24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed
Old 20th April 2013
Gear Maniac

And what's your opinion on the preamps and capture?

I do audio production for TV and Radio. It sounds good, clean and quiet. My other interface is a Konnekt 6 firewire. The Scarlett preamp sounds a little more dynamic for the work I do (not a musician).
Old 7th October 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearn View Post
I have a focusrite scarlette 2i2 running on windows xp, I'v read others have had the same issues when playing youtube videos etc after a while the sound slows right down and stutters, so I have to switch interface on and off, it's really annoying. Does anyone have a link to the latest driver and also how I go about installing it?? Much appreciated any help!!!
hate to resurrect an older thread but I just purchased a new Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 for my iMac (Late 2006) running OSX Lion 10.7.5 and am having consistent playback issues and its getting extremely annoying.

it seems to only be happening with online streaming videos so far (Youtube, Vimeo, etc.), and I think it may be a problem related to Flash? What happens is, as the video starts playing, the audio will playback fine for 1 or 2 seconds, then suddenly the audio will cut out and you will only hear static clicks and pops for the duration of the video. This happens maybe 95% of the time.

I have used the latest version of MixControl, updated OSX as much as I could, and even tried the latest MixControl Beta and USB2 Drivers from beta.focusrite.com ...same problems.

Is this something that will be fixed up in the future, or something that is corrected with perhaps a later version of OSX? I do plan on upgrading my computer in the somewhat near future, so if these problems are not present with newer Macs, I may just try to stick it out with the Scarlett for now...

Anyone have any solutions? I'm going to call Focusrite about this tomorrow as well. If I don't get any solutions, or if there is no certainty it will work in the future or with newer Macs, I'm returning it and re-purchasing an Avid Mbox which has worked perfectly for me before.

Any insight appreciated, thank you!
Old 7th October 2013
Focusrite

Hi Songa,

We can help resolve any issues you're having. Please do get in touch with us via email or phone and we'll help look into this.

Best regards,

Chris
Focusrite Support
Old 15th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by songa View Post
hate to resurrect an older thread but I just purchased a new Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 for my iMac (Late 2006) running OSX Lion 10.7.5 and am having consistent playback issues and its getting extremely annoying.

it seems to only be happening with online streaming videos so far (Youtube, Vimeo, etc.), and I think it may be a problem related to Flash? What happens is, as the video starts playing, the audio will playback fine for 1 or 2 seconds, then suddenly the audio will cut out and you will only hear static clicks and pops for the duration of the video. This happens maybe 95% of the time.

I have used the latest version of MixControl, updated OSX as much as I could, and even tried the latest MixControl Beta and USB2 Drivers from beta.focusrite.com ...same problems.

Is this something that will be fixed up in the future, or something that is corrected with perhaps a later version of OSX? I do plan on upgrading my computer in the somewhat near future, so if these problems are not present with newer Macs, I may just try to stick it out with the Scarlett for now...

Anyone have any solutions? I'm going to call Focusrite about this tomorrow as well. If I don't get any solutions, or if there is no certainty it will work in the future or with newer Macs, I'm returning it and re-purchasing an Avid Mbox which has worked perfectly for me before.

Any insight appreciated, thank you!
Hi Songa. Did you finally solve the problem? I was going to purchase one but a little research made me give a step back.
Best regards.
Old 15th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by traktop View Post
Hi Songa. Did you finally solve the problem? I was going to purchase one but a little research made me give a step back.
Best regards.
Sorry to be off topic but dude I've been to Malaga believe it or not. Love it there, and used to make an effort to go there whenever I made a trip to Cadiz. I lived in Rota for 4 years. Really miss it sometimes.
Old 29th November 2013
Here for the gear

Hey there,

I have a Scarlett 2i2 I purchased back in June. I used it over the summer and at the beginning of the fall without a problem, but my hard drive crashed, so I haven't really used it much. I did use it a little bit a couple weeks ago with my band, but with someone else's computer, though again without problem. I've kept the interface as well as my mics and cables in good care. I now have my computer back (I have a PC), and set it up with Ableton Live Light (which came with the interface), and everything seems to be completely fine except for the fact that when I arm the track for recording, I get this weird buzzing, and when I speak into the mic, it just comes out as a crackling noise. When I playback, it doesn't even sound like a voice, just crackling. I know it's not my gear because I've tried it with different cables and mics, and when the track isn't armed for record, i.e. when it's just monitoring, everything sounds fine, and I just used the same gear recently. I'm pretty sure it's not Ableton as well because I tried it with Audacity and also just got crackling. I've also tried different USB imports and a different firewire, and the same problem still happens. I have a feeling there's a setting on the computer that doesn't line up somewhere and I'm just blind to what it is. Another thing: when I play videos from online or music in my music library, it plays super slow a sounds really crackly as well. Anyone have a clue what might be wrong? I'm really concerned, I have a lot of demos I need to get done soon.

-Mickey
Old 1st December 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

My 2i2

Quick note on my recent experience with the 2i2 I just purchased, I was having all of the same problems, with the slow, crackly, low pitch audio playback. I tried all of my usb ports and in the last one I tried it worked without a hitch.

Probably due to what an earlier poster was saying about the 2.0 or 3.0 ports. I'm using a Windows 7, i7 system.
Old 1st December 2013
Gear Head

I had bad experience with the 2i2 too ... i had crackling sound e a background noise ... i returned it and took a 6i6 ... and had problems again ... a high pitch noise in the inst channel with any guitar .. the technical support was great, available and kind but the couldn't solve my problem .. i returned it and tried every 6i6 (4 of them) at the store and all made the same high pitch noise ... i ended up returning the 6i6 and took another brand ...
I had bad experience with the scarlett series but there are so many people who say it's good ...
Old 10th December 2013
heya - just

back from the store with it ---

i didbn't buy it to listen to

l8r jackASS
Attached Thumbnails
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 problem, help me out?-untitled.jpg  
Old 26th December 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I found out why it cuts out .-. you need a faster usb port use a 3.0 port instead of a 2.0 usb port every time i used my 2.0 port it cuts out within a minute 3.0 it never cuts out
Old 10th January 2014 | Show parent
Focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamoshi View Post
I found out why it cuts out .-. you need a faster usb port use a 3.0 port instead of a 2.0 usb port every time i used my 2.0 port it cuts out within a minute 3.0 it never cuts out
This isn't usually necessary. It sounds like your USB 2.0 ports were suffering from some hardware conflicts that the USB 3.0 ports aren't.

If you'd like to look into this further feel free to get in touch with our support team:
Contact | Focusrite

Chris
Focusrite
Old 11th January 2014
Gear Head

I had a friends 2i2 for a moment, so I gave it a try. Worked nice under XP pro - no glitching or any other issues, just plug and play.
Old 11th January 2014
Here for the gear

Hi,
I have the same problems with my new Scarlett 2i2.
Does someone have finally a solution?

[EDIT]:
Quote:
Originally Posted by asap audio View Post
It seems that i have the same problem. My USB drivers are already updated so I don't know how it is possible that the USB 2.0 port works better than the USB 3.0 port.
Old 17th January 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Playback stops after a second

I have the same problem and i see no solution in this forum.
Christ Focusrite, can you just give us the solution here instead of directing us to customer service (what email or number), I think it will save us both time.
I was very happy with the interface, until i switch to W8 (after seeing that scarlett is compatible) and now every playback (in player or DAW) stops after a second and hangs.
Thank you kindly
Old 17th January 2014
Here for the gear

And now I realize that my 2i2 won't even work with PT11. I tried to set up the Scarlett but I can't get any sound !
And still have some micro cuts when using YouTube, Soundcloud or something like that.
Old 17th January 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Mine works like a champ. Just plug that bitch into my mac and she works. Maybe its the computer?
Old 18th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by traecasanova View Post
Mine works like a champ. Just plug that bitch into my mac and she works. Maybe its the computer?
Mine works great too. 2i2 with MBP 10.6.8 PT9 no issues. Pres are clean and quiet. No stops or stutters on playback.
Old 18th January 2014
Here for the gear

I think we know it works great with Mac and XP, the problem we have is with windows 8, which supposedly is supported, as per Focusrite site. As of today, no answer to my query in their customer support? CHris?
Old 19th January 2014
Here for the gear

I'm running W7 and I even have some issues.
Old 22nd January 2014
Focusrite

I can't offer the same level of thoroughness in tech support on here as we can in am email support case but you may want to try using Latencymon as this will help identify what might be causing audio performance issues: Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks

There aren't any compatibility issues with Windows 8 but any Windows system has potential to suffer from some of the conflict/resource problems latencymon will look for.

Frapal, do you have a case number at all for your support case?

Chris
Focusrite
Old 22nd January 2014
Here for the gear

2i2 with os 10.5.8

how can i get the 2i2 running with a usb2 port and fw 400 mac i book 1.42ghz on os 10.5.8?
help me out guys!
cheers!

Last edited by yogiguitar; 22nd January 2014 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: didnt say enough
Old 16th February 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

same problem

i have the Scarlett 6i6 on Win7 64bit. It keeps on cutting off. When im watching videos on the internet it cuts off and the video pauses. I have to reach behind the unit and flick the power switch off and on, then the video will resume. Its doing this at least once every twenty minutes or so. Sometimes more frequently.I went and bought a powered usb hub so the 6i6 could be by itself on the motherboards USB ports but it still behaes the same.
Old 21st February 2014
Gear Head

Hi Texxas_Boy

You may need to check your PC Manufactures website for chipset driver updates. Or, try each USB port in turn, especially if you have a combination of USB 2.0/3.0 ports.

You're welcome to send us a line > Contact | Focusrite I apologise in advance that both the US and UK teams are quite busy and we're taking a little longer to reply than we'd like. But we will answer you.

Best,
📝 Reply