The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Monitor screen types and noise
Old 27th November 2011
Gear Addict

Monitor screen types and noise

Hey guys, does anyone have experience with how much electromagnetic noise certain types of computer monitors make? I record lots of electric guitar sitting in front of the workstation (computer itself is in a machine room) and I will always remember how, when I upgraded from a CRT display to a flatscreen, I no longer had to hit record and run to the "quiet spot" in the room to get a useably noise free guitar sound. It's much better in front of the flatscreen, but I still have some noise in front of it, and since I've been considering upgrading to a bigger (dual?) display I'm wondering if certain types of flatscreens produce different amounts of noise.

There's plasma, LED LCD, fluorescent LCD, and even LPD displays which I know very little about. Anybody using them or tried out several types and noticed different amounts of noise picked up by your gear?
Old 27th November 2011
I've also experienced this problem and would love some More Information.
My rig is combined with my TV DVR box and I can have some issues with really high-pitched noises, even when powered off.

I use my TV via hdmi as my main monitor and a computer monitor via avg (I believe) input

Is there any tool to measure this in order to correct it?
Old 28th November 2011
Gear Addict

If you do a google shopping search for "em meter" you will find a bunch of gadgets that look like multimeters, but measure electromagnetic energy. They run mostly in the $100-$200 range. I've almost bought one a dozen times, and in the end if no one has an answer for me here I might get one and go down to the local Best Buy and scan all the TVs...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search