The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fireface UFX Black lion premium mod
Old 21st March 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
dude, the ufx uses the same IC chip as all of the fireface stuff as well as many all in one boxes. just regular Ti pga2500's .. gotta always beware hyperbole on the interdweebs
I do agree.

The bigger difference will be made at the converters and the clock, which can be gravely improved, if ceramic caps are replaced by styroflex/glimmers. This is exactly the things BLA does.

And these mods you can basically do on any industrially built device, as tghey will not use the higher end components out of money reasons...
Old 21st March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just got my new phone/camera

Pics coming eta 10 minutes

*edit, I was able to look at a member's unit which was premium modded. The only thing I could see from the photos were use of Nichicion "fine gold" caps in place of much of the SMD EL caps. Other than that the photos weren't of a resolution to see if and which chips were swapped.

Channel 1 preamp/input section

Analog ins 1-8

Main analog out 1-2

Balanced outs 3-8

More analog stuff

Digital board

Crystal?

Another "crystal" package under the BNC daughter board
Old 27th June 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I just opened up my stock UFX and would love to see some pics of the BLA mods. Can anyone with a BLA modified UFX post some pics of the circuit boards inside?

I've been researching UFX mods lately...
Old 28th June 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scan80269 View Post
I just opened up my stock UFX and would love to see some pics of the BLA mods. Can anyone with a BLA modified UFX post some pics of the circuit boards inside?

Send me a message with your email and I will forward to you the photos I have of the premium mod.
Old 11th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scan80269 View Post

UFX with the BLA Mod is a killer box!!! Really..
Old 26th January 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm considering in buying an old UFX get the premium mod from BLA or... buy the UFX+ or II. thoughts? How much better is the + or II vs the BLA Premium mod?
Old 29th January 2017
Here for the gear

before i'd "upgrade" the UFX, i'd rather purchase a better power supply for the ufx or whatever RME unit.This is what's proven making in fact any ADC/DAC sounding better. Additionally before upgrading the UFX,i'd rather sell it, add the cash i'd maybe invest in a BLA mod and get a better unit of the RME product line ...there are some ! .

Many here created a lot of pollution about BLA mods while none really realized that you're investing in questionable mod which results in a loss of guarantee and therefore in a loss of resell value as well.The BLA mods are a thing for "beliefs" and not facts.I know of none 1 to 1 shootout between a unmodded and a modded UFX which prooves these so called mods do really improove anything.

From what i've read so far in this tread is that none mentioned the fact that all the rest of your chain has great influence in sound reproduction/sonic quality. Cables for example are mostly highly underrated. Sometimes switching to a better interconnect cable results in far greater sonic improvements than a questionable mod of a company which mods nearly anything you ask them to if the pricelevel of the unit is high enough plus the fact using a better interconnect cable is maybe clearly less cost intensive as well compared to the price of such a "mod".Many do use simple super cheap generic accessory cables and wonder why the unit doesn't sound as they want it too...
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I agree the BLA mods make no difference!

Please guys, don't mod them! I need a BLA Sale! I have a couple of Apollo one with and one without. Definitely need the other up to par!

In the Apollo Thread somewhere, there were samples of original Apollo, BLA Apollo, and Apogee Symphony.
I myself think the UFX with the mod is pretty rad!
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I plan on sending in my 10 years old FF800 for a makeover this year...

And I just love my Sparrows, B173 and AM/CHA1 EQ
Old 3rd February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
I plan on sending in my 10 years old FF800 for a makeover this year...

And I just love my Sparrows, B173 and AM/CHA1 EQ
Thats a great idea!!!
Old 4th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by petecho View Post
I'm considering in buying an old UFX get the premium mod from BLA or... buy the UFX+ or II. thoughts? How much better is the + or II vs the BLA Premium mod?
From the RME website, it's not clear that the UFX 2 improves upon the signal path/sound quality at all. The are minor differences, an available remote, which is cool. I guess you'd have to ask someone who knows RME well and ISN'T a salesperson just trying to make a sale.....but I'd be willing to wager that the BLA mod UFX is far superior in terms of clarity and transparency. I haven't used a ton of super high-end stuff, but I've never heard anything like the UFX w/ BLA premium mod. It's surgically clean.
Old 16th April 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hey all Im thinking of modding an RME myself, am I crazy ? of corse I know enough to do this.
Am thinking of upgrading caps etc, anyone done it themselves ?
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Anyone Compared this mod to the Prism Orpheus ?
Old 11th June 2017
I've been running a BLA sig modded 002r for years. I like it well enough, but the i/o could be expanded for my taste, and the stability in osx leaves a lot to be desired (not BLA's fault). Am considering the purchase of a UFX+, and would love to hear an A/B test for the before/after UFX mod. Lots of talk up here, but I'd like to hear actual evidence of the difference before an after a BLA mod of the UFX.
Old 30th November 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Does the premium mod change the clock of the the ufx?
πŸ“ Reply