The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I am an Idiot (please help me) Audio Interfaces
Old 8th November 2011
Gear Maniac

I am an Idiot (please help me)

a mere 24 hours or so after I explain to one of my dads friends "I've yet to upgrade to mac os 10.7, because its risky to do so when running audio programs, as it can often introduce bugs" I went ahead and upgraded to lion...

In doing so, I've completely lost the ability to record. I'm using an m-audio profire 2626 and I get constant pops and crackles throughout (even when nothing is recording and logic is in standby)

I've updated logic from 9.1.3 to 9.1.5
Updating mac os from 10.6.x to 10.7.2
updated profire drivers to 2.3.2

reasons I'm an idiot:

- I upgraded all of these at the same time, so I have no idea which is causing the problem.
- I did not back up so I have no way to get back to snow leopard, save for doing a clean wipe of this computer. (which I really dont have the time to do)
- Now I can no longer record or practice with my band.

fml.

things I've tried:

uninstalling the profire drivers, rebooting, installing new drivers, rebooting
running logic in 32 and 64 bit modes
trying different plugins / opening a clean file with no plugins.

EDIT:

the problem just occurred in itunes which leads me to believe its the OS or the audio interface.
Old 8th November 2011
Lives for gear

Under Audio Preferences in Logic, check out your buffer sizes and Process Buffer size. The new drivers and OS may have effected your settings and/or performance of your interface/audio interface combo. The clicks and pops may be gotten rid of by increasing the values of the above mentioned settings.

Edit- You can also try turning off the SPDIF connections in the M Audio control panel. It may well be a wordclock sync issue.
Old 8th November 2011
Lives for gear

Why don't you use Time Capsule? That thing normally is by default on right? And can allow you to go back in time like in Windows Restore point?
Old 8th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Why don't you use Time Capsule? That thing normally is by default on right? And can allow you to go back in time like in Windows Restore point?
not enough hard disk space, no $ to purchase an external drive at the moment.
Old 8th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Aliferis View Post
Under Audio Preferences in Logic, check out your buffer sizes and Process Buffer size. The new drivers and OS may have effected your settings and/or performance of your interface/audio interface combo. The clicks and pops may be gotten rid of by increasing the values of the above mentioned settings.

Edit- You can also try turning off the SPDIF connections in the M Audio control panel. It may well be a wordclock sync issue.
I did up the buffer size from 64, to 128, to 256. I didn't want to go past 256, because at 512 my buffer size is 31 ms (vs 16 in 256).

but it seems to have fixed the problem. I'll report back after heavier testing.

(turning off the spidf did not fix it)

EDIT:

still have the problem :(
Old 8th November 2011
Lives for gear

What Mac are using? CPU, RAM etc?

Many of us using 10.7.2 without any issues. Its more than likely the drivers for the 2626.

Also, did you do a disk permissions repair after doing all the updates?
Old 8th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
What Mac are using? CPU, RAM etc?

Many of us using 10.7.2 without any issues. Its more than likely the drivers for the 2626.

Also, did you do a disk permissions repair after doing all the updates?
I'm about 95% certain its the drivers, though m-audio just released an update on oct 28th 2011 claiming they are now 100% compatible with 10.7.2...obviously theyre not.

TO RECREATE THIS BUG

system:

Model: Mac Pro 1,1 - 2007
CPU: (2x) 2.66 GHz xeons
Memory: 8 GB (4 X 1GB)(2 X 2GB)
M-Audio Products: Profire 2626

To recreate this bug (pops and crackles, audio slowdown ) open itunes or logic pro 9.1.5, In itunes, listen to music for a few minutes, in logic pro enable record, and play guitar into input 2 (di enabled) on the front of the profire2626. after a few minutes you should hear heavy pops and crackles accompanied by severe audio slowdown.
Old 8th November 2011
Lives for gear

M-Audios drivers have always been crap IMO, not that it helps any.

Make sure you do the disk permissions repair. I always do that after upgrading any software
Old 8th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
M-Audios drivers have always been crap IMO, not that it helps any.

Make sure you do the disk permissions repair. I always do that after upgrading any software
I will try it when I head out to the studio tomorrow. I doubt it will help but its worth a shot.

In all fairness I've never had a big problem like this with an m-audio interface before ( this is my 3rd)

I've kept off of lion until now because I was afraid this sort of thing would happen, but when I read m-audio announced 100% compatibility, I thought I'd be fine.
Old 8th November 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmajik2021 View Post
- I did not back up
Somebody should stick a warning at the top of every web page.

THE THREE GOLDEN RULES OF COMPUTING:

Backup, Backup, Backup.
Old 8th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search