The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MacIntel machines. What's working?
Old 10th April 2006
Lives for gear

MacIntel machines. What's working?

Where are we at with software and drivers that are working on the new Intel Macs? As I'm aware Digidesign are saying they'll be up to speed sometime in May, the other things I know of are:

MOTU Interfaces and DP
Ableton
Logic Pro

So where are at with Presonus, Steinberg, M-Audio, RME..... I'm sure there are plenty more I've forgotten.

Thanx
Old 10th April 2006
Lives for gear

(edited)

here's a couple links to KVR searches that are specific to UB plug-ins....

KVR's list of Universal Binary FX

KVR's list of Universal Binary Instruments

KVR's list of Universal Binary Hosts
Old 10th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
MOTU Interfaces and DP
As far as I know DP isn't compatible yet. Or did something change? Anyone got any insight info on this?

DP v5 is available, but as far as I know of it's not compatible in its current state. Probably MOTU has got it running, but it's not commercially available yet.

I guess 5.1 will be compatible with MacIntel.

Last edited by Geert van den Berg; 10th April 2006 at 11:12 AM..
Old 11th April 2006
Here for the gear

Nothing official yet, but Waves answered my question about intel mac compatibility:

Waves MacTel support should be availalbe in the next few months. However there is not an ETA at this time.

Check www.waves.com or the Waves Newsletter for updates and details on this and other Waves news.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us direct.
Old 11th April 2006
Lives for gear

see my edited post above...
Old 11th April 2006
Gear Guru

Metric Halo interfaces are compatible.
Old 13th April 2006
Gear Nut

most m-audio drivers are up
Old 15th April 2006
Gear Guru

Definitely one very cool development.

Using a Core Duo mini as a node with a G5.

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/...=250786#250786

As you will read, this is just something starting up, but the possibilties could be remarkable.
Old 15th April 2006
Here for the gear

Presonus say their interfaces will work with mac intel save the S/PDIF - for that to work we'll have to wait for the new drivers. No ETA yet.

Tascam have drivers on their site but they didn't work for me and their support haven't gotten back to me in almost three weeks now, meaning i'm returning the 1804 i bought, life's just too short.

MOTU have it all wrapped up apparently, seems they were the onyl ones prepared before all of this intel business.
Old 15th April 2006
Lives for gear

RME has also MacIntel drivers for its Fireface. They had it already available for download before the MacIntels even hit the stores.
Old 2nd May 2006
Gear Addict

any new developments? i'm on the verge of buying logic express to hold me over until more apps go Universal.
Old 3rd May 2006
TC5
Lives for gear

So is this another migration that's likely to take as long as the OS9 to OSX ordeal? Didn't it take like years for all plugin developers to finally move all their **** to OSX?... Just trying to estimate whether a Macbook would be a good buy in the near future or not.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

I just did a quick DVD on a MacBook Pro with iDVD.
rendering ...
I only have one word S L O W
... compared to a G5.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
I just did a quick DVD on a MacBook Pro with iDVD.
rendering ...
I only have one word S L O W
... compared to a G5.

it aint as much the MacBook as it is iDVD 6 is slower than iDVD 5

from Barefeats:
iDVD CONSPIRACY?
We confirmed that iDVD 6 encodes slower than iDVD 5. Some readers suggested that Apple "hobbled" iDVD 6 to make the Intel based iMac look stronger against PowerPC based Macs, but our testing does not support that assertion.

iDVD 5 + Dual G5/2.0GHz Power Mac = 5 min 16 sec
iDVD 6 + Dual G5/2.0GHz Power Mac = 6 min 50 sec
iDVD 6 + iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0GHz = 7 min 57 sec

in other news... I'm getting as almost twice good performance in Live 5.2 on my MacBook 2ghz as i did on a G5 Dual 1.8ghz
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC5
So is this another migration that's likely to take as long as the OS9 to OSX ordeal? Didn't it take like years for all plugin developers to finally move all their **** to OSX?... Just trying to estimate whether a Macbook would be a good buy in the near future or not.
The other issue is that not everything will get ported. Stuff is going to get lost. I'm trying to decide whether to get a dual core G5 now, be able to use everything I'm using now for the next couple years, and then update to MacIntel at that point.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay
(edited)

here's a couple links to KVR searches that are specific to UB plug-ins....

KVR's list of Universal Binary FX

KVR's list of Universal Binary Instruments

KVR's list of Universal Binary Hosts
Thanks for the post AdamJay! Also want to say that Green Oak Crystal is one of my favorite synths
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have only had my macbook pro 17" for a day now. But one thing that I found is there is no adobe acrobat yet. On the upside Windows XP runs like magic on it (with the exception of a few drivers in need of features).
Old 15th May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyclueless
I have only had my macbook pro 17" for a day now. But one thing that I found is there is no adobe acrobat yet. On the upside Windows XP runs like magic on it (with the exception of a few drivers in need of features).
But Preview in os X will open pdf files. The manual for the MBP,plus the getting started guides for iphoto,garageband are pdf files.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyclueless
I'd be surprised if Adobe Reader didn't run under Rosetta. Download it and find out...
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by axissport
But Preview in os X will open pdf files. The manual for the MBP,plus the getting started guides for iphoto,garageband are pdf files.
Preview does work, but there seems to be only one version of Acrobat from adobes site and it wont run on the macbookpro. I don't believe preview will work in a web browser like acrobat does. Or does it (never tried)?
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

i've been using Photoshop 7 under Rosetta on a MBP, i'm surprised Acrobat isn't working.

re: browsing...
Safari shows linked .pdf files in the browser
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Addict

We just released drivers for all three of our interfaces last Friday.

Cheers,
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have a friend with Logic 7 and a MBP 2.16, he bought it from sweetwater, they basically sold him programs that didn't work with his machine!

Sampletank
Stylus RMX

Nothing works with the MBP, except apple progs. Stay AWAY FROM THEM AT THIS POINT!!!!!

Base Jase
Illynoise
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have Logic 7.2 running well, but have yet to install any plugins. Is it safe to assume that most soft synths/plugins aren't gonna work on intel macs until they are updated?
Old 17th May 2006
JPF
Gear Nut

i really need to upgrade and read that in PT 7 , RTAS work well,take advantage of dual processor G5's...i want to wait for a while to go Mac -tel until it's ironed out etc. however at the Apple store they only have refurbished dual core G5's...is this the same as dual processors?and is this a smart buy and compatible for running my mbox w/ lots of ram sucking plug ins(stylus rmx, L3,digi verbs etc)i don't want universal binary...thnx hope this isn't way off topic or too ignint-JP
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

interesting

pdf files open up fine in preview and acrobat and im running mac intel, i use a dual 2.5 g5 and find that the macmini 1.66 dual is way faster to be honest. sure theres not alot of stuff yet,but who cares...ive actually gone back to actually making music! plug ins arent end alll be all, bust out that hardware again. on a side note, ive been using Blue as my synth in logic 7.2 and if you really must have synths, try bouncing the sounds into a full featured sample keyboard. stylus rmx is also supposed to be working in universal.

also 1 thing that is annoying me is that the flip4mac codec for quicktime is not working, but that should be sorted out soon. either way it looks like itll be fun and interesting times for the mac intel

did i mention its really kind of nice to not rely so much on vst's and plug ins and just get on with making music!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanGamet
interesting

pdf files open up fine in preview and acrobat and im running mac intel,
Where did you get acrobat from that works? The one from Adobe's site doesn't work for me, and here are the requirements for 7.07:

Macintosh

* PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
* Mac OS X v10.2.8, 10.3, or 10.4
* 128MB of RAM (256MB recommended)
* Up to 110MB of available hard-disk space
* Safari 1.2.2 browser supported for Mac OS X 10.3 or higher

No mention of intels, which makes sense as to why it won't install on my intel mac. But what I think may be happening is that the wbe site detects my computer as a 68k mac and sends an old version. I cant find a way to manually select an OS so if anyone has any advice, much appreciated.
Old 18th May 2006
Question

Anyone heard anything from Sony Oxford on Mac Intel compatibility??

There is no info on their website.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

i dont know, mine came preinstalled...im guessing its running on rosetta

if you open up your applications stats folder in the mac hd you can see which apps are ppc and universal.

ive had no problem with any apps that ever came out on osx

the only thing i think is that you cant have a ppc app running in a prog thats running universal or intel
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Nut

Reason works as of today.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search