The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
WAVES cla classic compressors vs NI vintage compressors Dynamics Plugins
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

WAVES cla classic compressors vs NI vintage compressors

Hi guys,

I was about to buy the NI Komplete 8 Ultimate with the NI Vintage Compressors because I wanted some new compressors to my studio and also all that nice stuff that comes with Komplete 8 ultimate

But then I saw the WAVES cla classic compressors bundle, and it got me really intrested so now I don't know if I should go for the Komplete 8 with NI Vintage Compressors or the WAVES CLA bundle and get the komplete 8 later..

Anyone here who has tried both the NI and the WAVES compressors and can tell me if there's a big difference? Which one should I go for?

EDIT: Does these compressors work well for electronic music?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramo_and View Post
[..]Does these compressors work well for electronic music?
I have the CLA bundle and I when I'm mixing a rock/pop song I use the compressors with great results. However, when I'm mixing electronic music, I end up using the Elysia Mpressor and Cytomic The Glue the most for my compressor duties.

Having said that, I don't think it's a problem at all to use the CLA compressor bundle on electronic music, it's just that I'm already familiar with other compressor plugins for this kind of music. What works for you, works for you!
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
I have the CLA bundle and I when I'm mixing a rock/pop song I use the compressors with great results. However, when I'm mixing electronic music, I end up using the Elysia Mpressor and Cytomic The Glue the most for my compressor duties.

Having said that, I don't think it's a problem at all to use the CLA compressor bundle on electronic music, it's just that I'm already familiar with other compressor plugins for this kind of music. What works for you, works for you!
Ok Thanks for your reply. Anyone who has compared the NI Vintage Compressors to Waves CLA?
Old 20th September 2011
Here for the gear

Seems like everyone I ask likes the Waves better than NI But I have one more question.. Are these the best Waves compressors for this price? I'm doing mostly house, rock and pop music in my studio.

I also have the PSP Vintage Warmer 2 which I like very much. Are these Waves compressors much like the Vintage Warmer in character?
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Seems like everyone I ask likes the Waves better than NI But I have one more question.. Are these the best Waves compressors for this price? I'm doing mostly house, rock and pop music in my studio.

I also have the PSP Vintage Warmer 2 which I like very much. Are these Waves compressors much like the Vintage Warmer in character?
To me, at $400 the Waves CLA comps are a no-brainer. They sound great, work great, are great. They aren't gonna change your life, but they do what they are supposed to do.
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonmixing View Post
To me, at $400 the Waves CLA comps are a no-brainer. They sound great, work great, are great. They aren't gonna change your life, but they do what they are supposed to do.
Ok How is the CPU usage? Can I use a lot of instances without running out of CPU quickly?
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok How is the CPU usage? Can I use a lot of instances without running out of CPU quickly?
Just like the Waves SSL channelstrip, the CLA compressor plugins are amazingly light on the CPU!
Old 14th August 2012
Here for the gear

Hi

I have both NI and CLA sets. Am much more familiar with the NI set, though, (just got the CLA bundle) and of course those are really Softube plugs, and easily deserving of the same kind of love most Softube stuff gets on here.

You get a lower 1:1 ratio on the Softube blackface 1176, and they also do parallel compression from the plug, although I usually blend in a parallel track. They really sound great. There's the 1176, an LA-2A and a dBx 160.

The downside is you have to run them in a Guitar Rig shell, so they become almost a victim of their own success because you end up strapping them across lots of channels and your inserts all say 'Guitar Rig' rather than the specific plug you're running and so you have to guess - not good. But the sound is top notch.

I'll get to know the CLA versions a bit better and I can see myself reaching for those since they stand alone in the insert.

Last edited by Davey Christie; 14th August 2012 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Error of fact in original.
Old 14th August 2012
Lives for gear

I love the VC compressors!
I actually didn't go for the CLA's because the NI/Softube's are that good!
I really don't understand why people think operating these with in GR is a problem.
Do it 1 time and you see it's no hassle at all.
You can also set up some wicked effect chains.
I know of one very well known mixing engineer with tons of major credits,he has access to anything he wants hardware or software based and these are his 1st choice.
One way I decided to ultimately not get the CLA bundle was from a cost factor the price was in my case the cost of the Komplete upgrade,with all of the content besides the compressors.
Even if your buying K8U as a new Komplete user $400 is a major part of the price.
In my case I got the entire upgrade for $399, so for me it was a no brainer.
But looking back I have no desire to get the CLA bundle,the VC's are that good!
I have a UAD quad card with most of their compressors(not the new 1176) but most if not all of the others and the VC's & the Glue which I also love, these are my go to compressors.
I came to the conclusion I have more than enough compressors,I don't miss or need the CLA's & Komplete 8U is amazing!!
If you change your mind you can always get the Waves later ,they always have sales,I'd wait till their big sale near Thanksgiving or Christmas, it will be probably cheaper then as well.
Old 14th August 2012
Here for the gear

Totally agree - the NI/Softube compressors sound amazing. Re the Guitar Rig shell, it's true it's only a couple of extra clicks and a drag of the compressor you want from the dynamics section into the rack; I think the drawback is that every instance is labelled 'Guitar Rig' on the channel inserts and on a busy board I'd rather that meant an amp and cab setup than one of three possible compressors, or other NI effect.

But yes, the VCs sound fantastic - can't fault them!
Old 14th August 2012
Gear Maniac

I just Love the V-Comp from Waves also like the APIs EQs, I dont know about Native Instrument software but I can say You cant go wrong with waves.
Old 14th August 2012
Gear Addict

Don't forget the FET Compressor by Softube. Top Notch imo.
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Just got an email from NI the
VC Compressors & the Transient Master have been updated so they will now also run independent of GR,installed,they have a nice GUI.
Now they can be used either way,nice to see NI listened. ;-)
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Addict

Awesome! Glad to hear about the NI update.

Waves stuff is naturally gonna get more love because it's been out longer. They are great plugs though!
Old 16th November 2012
Glad to hear "Vintage Compressors",can now run independently of GR,but as I only trialled them,and then,no matter what I do,VC 160,will NOT un-install,from "Programs and Features",I'm a little underwhelmed[only a little!]

Of course this has nothing to do with their sound,but recently,I got a decent deal on the Waves CLA comps,which included,as most here would know,2 versions,of the "76",and the CLA-2A,and CLA-3A,for $199,I think $50 each,was pretty good."EDIT":4th December-NOW they're "$161.10"[$179-10%]at the Waves store,though Tony B.is probably even less!

They also sound great,and I find myself using the "3A' more than I thought I would,as Sonar has an excellent version of the LA-2A,called the PCA-2A,not to mention,the 76,in which the Sonar version,has a "wet/dry"control,making it extra useful,but I do prefer the Waves, compared to the N.I.

Though I love N.I. ATM,due to their great performing K.A.6 interface-REALLY!!I I'm at a genuineRTL Utility | Oblique Audio 8.7ms of [email protected] a totally stable "32 BUFFER"!!!-How many $250[US]USB 2.0 Interfaces,made of ALUMINUM[instead of mostly plastic,w XLRx2-on the chassis,instead of a Baby..ah Breakout Cable]-can do THAT!!?,

Hell,how many Comps does one REALLY need?......I think Iv'e got it covered....maybe I'd do "The Glue"if I was to crazily drop more coin.
RK

Edit: $59 for a DBX 160? Hmm,I think I'm gonna get sucked in[again!]
Old 16th November 2012
a month ago I used CLA a lot, you know, but I really try FET by Softube, and I think it's the best 1176 emulation. CLA76 hasn't autorealese, FET has. CLA has a lot of aliasing, FET have more clean sound. So I wanna try Vintage Compressors before buying FET.

But really, I have Cytomic The Glue, and it's enough to compress all what you want.

P.S. sometimes I feel like that "it's track needs a little bit of la2a". In vst stuff I don't find out great emulation of LA2A
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

Waves ssl channel, cla3a, puigchild, are the highlights for me of the classic compressors.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search