The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What DAW controller with motorized faders for Logic pro? Control Surfaces
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

What DAW controller with motorized faders for Logic pro?

Couldn't find any good posts about this.
I'm upgrading my studio with a new room, new mac, new desk and controller.

I havn't used a controller before - but I want something that works great with Logic without a lot of programming and fader-learning, and have minimum 8 faders, and should be upgradeable to more channels like the euphonix/avid is.

I'm thinking about spending about 1-2000$.

what about:
Avid MC mix/ Avid control V2/ MC transport, Mackie control, ICON QCON, (SSL nucleus).... ....?

Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
Still by far the most comprehensive support for logic is with Mackie Control.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

"Still by far the most comprehensive support for logic is with Mackie Control. "

Is this still the case, since the test was done in 2009..?

Avid has taken over the euphonix, and done massive work with the flaws,
and what about EUCON?

Is mackie control pro the "ultimate control surface for logic" pr 2011?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardwizard View Post
"Still by far the most comprehensive support for logic is with Mackie Control. "

Is this still the case, since the test was done in 2009..?

Avid has taken over the euphonix, and done massive work with the flaws,
and what about EUCON?

Is mackie control pro the "ultimate control surface for logic" pr 2011?
Yep... Nothings changed since 2009. There are flaws and there are things that cannot be improved, for the reasons that have already mentioned.
Believe me, I've tried every time they've (AVID/Eucon) said they've made it better. It's just not gonna happen, due to both the layout and the secondary functions etc. They'll definitely improve it, but it can't be an MCU. With the layout of the Artist series stuff, they'd be better off supporting the OSC protocol, rather than MCU.

I'd just like to add, having worked with lots of touchscreen devices etc, that this is another area where MCU excels. As has been mentioned, you're only a couple of clicks away from doing something useful and you DON'T need to look at a screen to make sure your fingers are in the right place.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I have the older MCU and still love it. Not a big "oooh" factor when people walk in the studio, but it gets the job done and doesn't break the bank. I'm sure there's other solutions at other price points that are great, but the Mackie is an affordable workhorse.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

I love my mc-mix. Works perfectly with Logic.
Old 19th September 2011
alq
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by engelen62 View Post
I love my mc-mix. Works perfectly with Logic.
+1 on that
I have two of these babies in front of me ;-)

alq.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've had Mackie Controls ever since they were Emagic-branded Logic Control units - but I got MC-Mix and MC-Control a couple of years ago. The EuCon protocol was never as stable or operationally quick as the Mackies were, probably because Mackie support is baked-in to Logic whereas EuCon requires additional software. This creates a number of stumbling blocks, a few lockups/lost connections a day, etc., but the biggest drag was that when deleting empty tracks in Logic the Mackies would remove the deleted channels as quickly as you were hammering the delete key, whereas the EuCon controllers would cause a delay of half a second or more for each deleted channel.

The touchscreen on the MC-Control proved pretty useless as it didn't do anything that couldn't be done from a keycommand, and the tiny fonts and slow response time didn't help.

I kind of wish there was a better solution because the Mackies are kind of big and clunky looking, but they really work much better than anything else. If you can find a C4 knob controller then you are in hog heaven as there are a number of functions it does that aren't available on other controllers or via keys/mouse - such as jumping instantly to markers by pushing the V-pots, using the knobs for zoom (including waveform zoom) etc.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mackie should really re-design the MCU, losing none of the features, but with a smaller, sleeker footprint........
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyne View Post
Mackie should really re-design the MCU, losing none of the features, but with a smaller, sleeker footprint........
That would be great IMO!
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yeah go for the older MCU if you can find one.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnationsauce View Post
Yeah go for the older MCU if you can find one.
Is the old one still compatible with new solutions, isn't there any downsides with the old model? heard about that you need some external midi-interfaces. Does my MOTU828 do the trick here?

I can buy a secondhand MCU with Mackie control 8 external, for about 1000$. Is that a good buy?
new pro's costs 1900$ + 1400$ in norway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search