The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dealing with new mac minis and lion Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Dealing with new mac minis and lion

My computer maintenance system has been to make disk images of the system drives. After a fresh os install, after fresh pro tools install, after installing loads of plugins etc.

Then at any point I can reinstall a system to a working state with a new drive or formatted one etc.

Will this apply so well to the new mac mini? I have a new one which came with lion installed and so no install disks etc.

I managed to download their installer disk image and now I have the option of using this at any point to install the system fresh without Internet access. It seems that when using this on a fresh HDD it creates the recovery partition.

I am creating a disk image of this fresh install now via carbon copy cloner and with the mac mini in FireWire target mode.

I now wonder what happens when I want to restore this image back to a drive? The disk image does not contain info about the partition structure and the restore partition etc. So if I restore this image back to a fresh drive the restore partition would not be there.

Is this ok for the new mac minis to run without a restore partition?
Old 4th November 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdrake View Post
My computer maintenance system has been to make disk images of the system drives. After a fresh os install, after fresh pro tools install, after installing loads of plugins etc.
Nobody responded. Once you get things set up, clone your internal drive using SuperDuper. Then you can swap the physical drives out in case of a crash and pick up right where you left off, no reinstalling necessary.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search