The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Will CUBASE 6 utilize this? Lot's of advice appreciated
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

Will CUBASE 6 utilize this? Lot's of advice appreciated

I am thinking of building a dual cpu system, unfortunately intel xeons, although ideal, are way too expensive, same with mac. I use a lot of fx processors and massive synthesizer's that hog my cpu.

I am debating weather I should get a dual cpu mobo and stack them with two of these:

Newegg.com - AMD Opteron 4184 Lisbon 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket C32 115W Six-Core Server Processor OS4184WLU6DGOWOF

PassMark - [Dual CPU] AMD Opteron 4184 - Price performance comparison

Since I can't just stack two sandy bridge 2600k's together, and these have better performance, it seems like a good idea.
The only thing is I'm unsure if these are good for music production and if cubase will actually take advantage of them and the RAM on both sides.

A bit technical I know, hopefully I can get some answers.

Thanks!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd say get an i7 2600k and bump up the multiplier from x34 to x43-45. 33% increase in clock speed should beat the dual Opteron setup you are thinking of, and it is pretty easy to overclock SB. I'm running it at 4.3 GHz with HT on, and Cubase 6 x64 uses all the cores evenly. I can run EWSO Platinum playing back hundreds of voices (I don't remember the highest number I've seen, but it doesn't matter as I can't even get it to crap out). Buffer is at 128 just to be safe, but 32 or 64 work perfectly fine. 2600k may be light on the price tag, but I can't imagine anyone complaining it isn't powerful enough.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aec View Post
I am thinking of building a dual cpu system, unfortunately intel xeons, although ideal, are way too expensive, same with mac. I use a lot of fx processors and massive synthesizer's that hog my cpu.

I am debating weather I should get a dual cpu mobo and stack them with two of these:

Newegg.com - AMD Opteron 4184 Lisbon 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket C32 115W Six-Core Server Processor OS4184WLU6DGOWOF

PassMark - [Dual CPU] AMD Opteron 4184 - Price performance comparison

Since I can't just stack two sandy bridge 2600k's together, and these have better performance, it seems like a good idea.
The only thing is I'm unsure if these are good for music production and if cubase will actually take advantage of them and the RAM on both sides.

A bit technical I know, hopefully I can get some answers.

Thanks!
Cubase can currently handle up to 32 cores.

I haven't been following the AMD side of things so I have no idea of the performance of any individual processor or whether they are cost effective compared to single Intel processors or how much various motherboards cost but have you had a look at this: Newegg.com - AMD Opteron 6128 Magny-Cours 2.0GHz 8 x 512KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache Socket G34 115W 8-Core Server Processor OS6128WKT8EGOWOF ?

Alistair
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Guru

Don't go with AMD with Steinberg stuff. I tried years back and regretted it. Stick with Intel and you will be happy.
Old 20th September 2011
I'd not only avoid AMD and go with the fastest i7 you can afford, but I would also consider - seriously - using a second machine forthe ROMpler libraries & VSTi, and system linking the 2 together.
The large libraries eat RAM, especially is using the PLAY engine.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

HI,
1) Passmark is not ideal for comparing processors for audio performance
2) a 2600 is right there with a 980/990 and over clocked 2600 is vastly faster.
3) until you hit about 2.8-2.93GHz dual Xeons the 2600/980 out performs for audio and video (something passmark would never tell you.)
dual Processors do not equate to 2 x the power not even close.

4) since the Intel Xeons are considerable faster than the AMDs common sense prevails dont waste your money.

5) a correctly built AMD system is 100% stable, however they are in no way as fast as intel or price per performance a good buy.

benchmarks that matter for audio

2nd test down
Benchmarks for Pro Audio!

the 2600 @ stock clock outperforms the dual Xeon 2.66GHz @ 32 buffer.
@4.7GHz its 50% faster than the dual Xeons..

how well do you think those AMDs will do now?

Scott
ADK
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Even if you did decide to go with AMD, the Opterons are overpriced for what you're going to do. Even for 3D render farms these days though, a higher clock & core count single socket platform is the preferred norm these days, and for most uses a 6 core PhenomII would be a much more sensible buy than opterons. Dozer is a potential exception here until the consumer variants come out, but that shouldn't be too long (and it's only because all dozer versions are the same just with cores disabled on the lower versions).

But as others have said Intel has insured they have the price:performance crown for some time now and the motherboard/chipsets are going to be considerably easier to get known-stable configurations for (ie, you can choose from a much wider selection of boards others are already successfully using based on user reports). I *do* like AMD systems for small 3D workstations, render farms and some light video tasks as well as low end gaming and wife/mom machines...but for a DAW just follow jschild/scott's advice imo. I doubt you'll find yourself wanting for performance with a properly configured 2600K.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search