The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
No Decent Firewire laptop option?? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

No Decent Firewire laptop option??

I am disappointed. It seems firewire is being phased out on current laptops. I have to take a huge step back in laptop quality in order to get firewire as a feature. The best deal I found on firewire laptops was a core 2 duo for $500 (pricegrabber.com). On Newegg, I can get a Phenom II for much less than that! But of course, the phenom doesn't have firewire.

It almost seems like the smart decision is to sell my Presonus Firestudio Mobile and get a usb audio interface. Then I can buy a cheap, high quality laptop. Is this a bad idea?

I'm sure there are many others facing this same problem.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman1086 View Post
I am disappointed. It seems firewire is being phased out on current laptops. I have to take a huge step back in laptop quality in order to get firewire as a feature. The best deal I found on firewire laptops was a core 2 duo for $500 (pricegrabber.com). On Newegg, I can get a Phenom II for much less than that! But of course, the phenom doesn't have firewire.

It almost seems like the smart decision is to sell my Presonus Firestudio Mobile and get a usb audio interface. Then I can buy a cheap, high quality laptop. Is this a bad idea?

I'm sure there are many others facing this same problem.
You could just get a cardbus to firewire adaptor. Most laptops come with a card slot. Then you'd have your pick of laptops.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

That seems a lot more prone to having problems. I actually tried that on my current laptop, using a TI chipset 2 port firewire express card. All I got was a lot of crackling. I don't want to make that mistake again.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
Yeah, I feel lucky that I bought my i7-based Dell XPS Studio notebook computer almost 2 years ago. It's got both firewire and a PC card interface, so I can use my RME fireface along with a Universal Audio UAD-2.

I see that the newer Dells don't have firewire. It's too bad. I don't know what I'll do when my current notebook dies. Hopefully, by then, Thunderbolt will be pretty common, or else we'll have great USB3 interfaces.
Old 20th September 2011
I don't recommend Dell. I use an HP Elitebook 8560p and a Siig TI firewire card and I have had nothing but great sessions.

The HP business models are great. Mine has on-board FW, and the express slot which is also hard to find in more current laptops.

i5 2.3 gHz processor
8gb ram
dedicated video
ssd drive bay
usb3.0 x 2
usb 2.0 x 4
esata
hdmi and vga out
on-board FW 400
express slot 54mm

It's been an amazing workhorse for me. I almost prefer it to my custom i7 desktop.

The whole thing w/ FW card cost me around $900. It came with 0 bloatware, and had great DPC latency right out of the box

with everything unnecessary disabled I've never even had a hiccup.

I highly recommend one
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

still waiting for you to post a link to where you bought that HP at that price?

on HPs website its vastly more $.

Scott
ADK
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Addict

Thunderbolt has just futureproofed firewire and every other protocol it can handle. Thunderbolt is designed to carry firewire data without screwing it up, you should be able to get an adapter for it.

Sent from my GT540 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTStudios View Post
Thunderbolt has just futureproofed firewire and every other protocol it can handle. Thunderbolt is designed to carry firewire data without screwing it up, you should be able to get an adapter for it.

Sent from my GT540 using Gearslutz.com App
Wheres the info on the thunderbolt? Ive been out of music for a year or two and need to burry my g5 powermac.
Old 20th September 2011
Here for the gear

Dell studio 1749 has
Old 20th September 2011
I bought my HP from tiger direct
Old 30th October 2011
Gear Addict

thunderbolt is amazing.. does it carry firewire?

Intel's Thunderbolt Technology in Action - YouTube
Old 30th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
still waiting for you to post a link to where you bought that HP at that price?

on HPs website its vastly more $.

Scott
ADK
That model is $3500 in AU.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search