The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
System Overload!!! Dynamics Plugins
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

System Overload!!!

I recently upgraded to a MBP Intel I7 2.2 Ghz quad core with 8GB RAM and 5400 RPM Hard drive and thought to myself: "Finally done with that annoying Logic pro 9 "System Overload"-crap".

But no...

I'ts the hard drive, isn't it?
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

That is quite probable, but every channel strip that is on input monitor (including everything that goes on the same bus) is limited to one single core (apparently for sync reasons). So all the plugins on that channel strip are limited to the same core, which can causes cpu spikes.

I first thought it was because of software routing but it's the input monitoring. I discovered that recently.

A 7200rpm HD makes a huge difference in reading (samples and playback) and writing performances (when recording).

I have a 2.8ghz iMac i7 with 8 gigs and can record over 50 audio tracks at once on the 720 rpm hd (a full orchestra) with about 75% hd activity.

However, just 2 spectral scopes from Sonalsksis (at max resolution) will peak my core, since all those track are on input monitoring.

Once it is recorded, I can remove the input monitoring and all the other 7 cores (4+4virtual) become active and I can add as many plugins as I wish.
Old 19th September 2011
I don't think it's the HDD problems.

I use MBP 13" Early 2011 version.

Use the original stock 320Gb Hitachi 7200 RPM and have that system overload problem sometimes.

After that I upgrade to 500Gb Western Digital 5400RPM and also have the same problems sometimes.

From my observation, this happen when I open Mail, chrome and tweetdeck at the same time with Logic.

When I quited those apps and then press the play button again, it doesn't give any system overload.

Kinda like RAM problems but what confuse me is in Logic, it's the CPU indicator which went to red instead of HDD. There's no RAM indicator though.

Just sharing my own experience.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I had my new MB Pro recently crash only recording 1 in and 1 out, do you guys have any pointers on things that cause problems? Does a low sample rate (to reduce latency) cause problems?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search