The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MBP for film scoring/composition, 13" 2.7 i7? Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

MBP for film scoring/composition, 13" 2.7 i7?

Hey guys,

Im learning music composition as a hobby and like the idea of doing a bit of scoring.

Ive never done this kind of thing before and am set on the idea of using a Macbook Pro and Logic 9.

As im doing it as a hobby, i dont want to spend loads of ££££, yet anyhow. I plan on maxing out the RAM and replacing the HDD to 7200rpm.

Will the new 13" MBP 2.7 i7 be ok? I plan on having around 10 - 20 tracks with a few instances of Kontakt and EWQL SO Silver.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

It will be fine. The i7 are beasts.

But put 8 gigs of ram in it and maybe consider getting a bigger external monitor.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Ditto on the external monitor. You'll be looking at a whole lot of tracks for that tiny screen.

Also, you might consider swapping the optical drive for another hard disk to use as a samples drive.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Definitely a bigger monitor. Love the portability but also love some screen real estate!
Old 19th September 2011
Aec
Gear Nut

Are you strictly mac? If not I would build a PC with the 2600k, it will be much, much better, and you can use the turbo boost to 3.7gz. It would probably be cheaper to build a computer than buying one of the new I7 laptops.
Once you start becoming more serious about film composition you will have to upgrade.
It is very easy to utilize 16+ gigs of ram with these string libraries.

That's just an option, you are just starting out so the MBP should be alright. Just don't expect libraries like HW strings/brass to run so well.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

The most important limitation of a MBP is the hard drive. You will definitely need an external one for the samples and, unfortunately, USB 2.0 are not doing a great job when streaming so many samples at once. I get really great performance on my desktop Pc. But if thunderbolt drives come out, provided they work well , the Mbp will be a killer. Although I would want more than 8th of ram for film composition.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

7200rpm is fine for sampling. No need for an external unless your using some ridiculously low buffer. Same with the ram, people should read Kontakt's instruction on memory usage before going out to buy 32 gigs... 8 gigs works, 16 is plenty to swim in.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search