The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing on multiple rigs (with different plugins)
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Mixing on multiple rigs (with different plugins)

Hi everybody. I have a question regarding mixing on different rigs. I am at school at MTSU, and I have a Protools 9 rig in my dorm with M-Audio ProjectMix. I will also be working on my mixes on an HD3 system at a studio off campus, mostly because the mix room is incredible compared to my cinderblock square dorm room..

How would I go about getting my sessions ready to mix on their rig? They will have some of the same plugins as I do, but not all of them. How would I go about printing my tracks with the plugins they DON'T have on the HD system? I'd like to be able to print the least amount of processing possible (like just gates on the drums, and a few other minor things). It would be ideal if I could get all of my plugins on their rigs but I'm really not sure if I will be able to do that. They do have some awesome hardware there though that I may use too.. (Manley, AMEK/Neve, TubeTech etc..) Might as well use it since it's there!
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Bump?
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by samth3mancgp View Post
Hi everybody. I have a question regarding mixing on different rigs. I am at school at MTSU, and I have a Protools 9 rig in my dorm with M-Audio ProjectMix. I will also be working on my mixes on an HD3 system at a studio off campus, mostly because the mix room is incredible compared to my cinderblock square dorm room..

How would I go about getting my sessions ready to mix on their rig? They will have some of the same plugins as I do, but not all of them. How would I go about printing my tracks with the plugins they DON'T have on the HD system? I'd like to be able to print the least amount of processing possible (like just gates on the drums, and a few other minor things). It would be ideal if I could get all of my plugins on their rigs but I'm really not sure if I will be able to do that. They do have some awesome hardware there though that I may use too.. (Manley, AMEK/Neve, TubeTech etc..) Might as well use it since it's there!
Use audiosuite and playlists to process with any plugins they don't have (ie duplicate playlist, copy plugin settings into the audiosuite equiv, process, deactivate plugin, repeat for each plugin) - that way you can step back if you need to.

Unless you have permission to install your plugins, don't - you'll make yourself very unpopular with the tech! You could possibly bring your ilok and just drag and drop the plugin file, but make sure you remove it afterwards (and some plugins won't work like this). forget about installing any challenge/response plugins.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Use audiosuite and playlists to process with any plugins they don't have (ie duplicate playlist, copy plugin settings into the audiosuite equiv, process, deactivate plugin, repeat for each plugin) - that way you can step back if you need to.

Unless you have permission to install your plugins, don't - you'll make yourself very unpopular with the tech! You could possibly bring your ilok and just drag and drop the plugin file, but make sure you remove it afterwards (and some plugins won't work like this). forget about installing any challenge/response plugins.
Ahh this sounds like a great idea! Thanks for your help. I think I did confirm with somebody there that I could install some of my plugins temporarily while I mix, so that should make things easier, but this is still very useful info for saving CPU power and/or cleaning up and simplifying a session!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search