The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steinberg UR824 Audio Interfaces
Old 17th September 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
Hardware Steinberg UR824

UR824

It's new!
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

As far as I've seen, seems the exact same as CSX but with USB and a facelift.

But I may not be fully informed...
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
There's already a thread on both new Steinberg interfaces on the first page.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...berg-ur28.html
Old 18th September 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
There's already a thread on both new Steinberg interfaces on the first page.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...berg-ur28.html

Could only see the UR28..! People seem to be talking about the UR28..
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Who cares who's talking about what.. This definitely doesn't read like a new product alert. Seems like something that should be in the moan zone.
Old 18th September 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post
Who cares who's talking about what.. This definitely doesn't read like a new product alert. Seems like something that should be in the moan zone.
Fine sorted it :P
Old 21st November 2011
Hardware Steinberg UR824 shipping since Friday (in Germany)

Hi everybody,

there is a long thread on the Steinberg UR28M, where I also wrote a few posts, since I bought one the day it came out. Now the UR824 is out since one week and I think it deserves its own thread. I open it because I have one. heh

I have them sitting side by side today. I bought the UR28M because I thought it has the optimal feature set for me, and indeed it has, but I was not satisfied with three things:
1. Sound of the DI (biggest point for me since lots of amp sims used)
2. Volume of headphones outputs
3. Converter quality at least on DA side (compared to the Duet I owned before)
I LOVED about it:
1. Preamps - AWESOME!!!
2. Cubase integration - AWESOME!!!
3. DSP FX - Very good
4. Form factor and monitor controller functionality - AWESOME!!!
I ended up returning it to the dealer when I saw that the tech specs of the UR824 are quite different from the UR28M, (the 824 having better specs), especially the DI having 1MOhm over 500kOhm and the headphones outs having 75mW over 35mW. I had some urgent stuff coming in before the UR824 was released, so I got the UR28M back from the dealer, and still have it here, but got the UR824 to try out on Friday, so I can compare them one on one.

So, my points of critique on the UR28M, how does the UR824 do?
1. Sound of the DI: Clearly and very audibly much better, no high frequency roll off as is very noticeable on the UR28M
2. Volume of the headphones outs: exactly the same, which I don't understand given the difference in the tech specs
3. Converter quality on DA side: BIG DIFFERENCE. With the UR28M, listening to a song sounded just nice. With the UR824, I had tears in my eyes. THAT good. Everything I was missing from the UR28M, the "space" and "three dimensionality", the clarity and resolution, it is all there. AWESOME!!!
Apart from that, the UR824 has still everything I loved about the UR28M, except for the form factor, but I can live with that. heh

So, I will just get over the headphones outs issue, and tomorrow my UR28M goes back to the dealer and the UR824 is a keeper. And I am a very happy owner of it. A piece of gear that I tried out and knew after a very short while I love it!

TOTAL RECOMMENDATION!!!

For those who want to know the latency: On a Macbook Pro 17'' late 2010 model with the i7 CPU in Cubase 6 under Lion: input ca. 6 ms, output ca. 5 ms. Didn't disturb me at all tracking guitars through the DI into Cubase with amp sims. And installation and first start-up was a total breeze, no issues at all. 5 minutes installing, ready to go.
Old 25th November 2011
Gear Head

So if I was strongly considering the mr816 csx, should I just get this instead? Is it basically the same only USB and better routing?
Old 25th November 2011
Lives for gear

some people have said this doesn't sound the same as MRX series... unconfirmed reviews
Old 25th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
some people have said this doesn't sound the same as MRX series... unconfirmed reviews
I have not heard the MR816 yet, but this one sounds very good. Tried the UR28M, Duet, and some gear from M-Audio combined with TL Audio press. UR824 beats them all, easily.
Old 27th November 2011
Here for the gear
Do you get the dsp thru the Adats? If I wanted to use a different AD and pre, but get the dsp, can I? like plugging in a pre to a BLA sparrow to the adat, would I still get the reverb and direct monitoring to the headphones?

Thanks
Old 28th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Do you get the dsp thru the Adats? If I wanted to use a different AD and pre, but get the dsp, can I? like plugging in a pre to a BLA sparrow to the adat, would I still get the reverb and direct monitoring to the headphones?

Thanks
Yes, you can run both analog and digital inputs through DSP FX, also a combination of both. However, the number of channel strip instances for the internal DSP for monitoring FX is limited to 8 mono or 4 stereo, so can not just slam a channel strip over all 24 analog and digital inputs. The Rev-X is not insert but send FX, so you can send from any channel to it, no limit.
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Addict

Which Duet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlopower View Post
I have not heard the MR816 yet, but this one sounds very good. Tried the UR28M, Duet, and some gear from M-Audio combined with TL Audio press. UR824 beats them all, easily.
Hi,

Are you comparing it to Duet 1 or 2 ?

Thanks!!
Old 23rd December 2011
JWF
Gear Nut

Quote:
I recently ordered a UR824 so I could use a good interface with my laptop (which has no firewire or an expansion slot ). I have the Audiofire 8 at the moment, which IMO is fantastic conversion wise and supposedly close to the Duet. Cant wait to try it out.
Old 28th December 2011
Gear Head

Can anyone else comment re: latency or driver issues? Thinking about picking one of these up in the next week...
Old 28th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xqtion View Post
Hi,

Are you comparing it to Duet 1 or 2 ?

Thanks!!
To Duet 1. Have not heard the 2 yet.
Old 2nd March 2012
Here for the gear

I was considering buying a Motu 828... Many reviews said great things, many reviews said terrible things. I wasn't sure I was ready to take the chance, so I kept searching and finally managed to put the right words into google and found the ur828. As of right now it should be here in 5 days or so. Problems with the 828 include instability and unreliability. My thinking is that a product from Steinberg designed to work seamlessly with Cubase while having 8 apparently better sounding preamps and many of the same features as the motu 828 - including onboard dsp & expandability, will serve me much better. So glad I found this before I went down Motu alley.
Old 2nd March 2012
Here for the gear

i am also interested in buying a ur824. it would be nice if you could post some comments after having received your device. thanks!!
Old 5th July 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi everybody,

there is a long thread on the Steinberg UR28M, where I also wrote a few posts, since I bought one the day it came out. Now the UR824 is out since one week and I think it deserves its own thread. I open it because I have one. heh

I have them sitting side by side today. I bought the UR28M because I thought it has the optimal feature set for me, and indeed it has, but I was not satisfied with three things:
1. Sound of the DI (biggest point for me since lots of amp sims used)
2. Volume of headphones outputs
3. Converter quality at least on DA side (compared to the Duet I owned before)
I LOVED about it:
1. Preamps - AWESOME!!!
2. Cubase integration - AWESOME!!!
3. DSP FX - Very good
4. Form factor and monitor controller functionality - AWESOME!!!
I ended up returning it to the dealer when I saw that the tech specs of the UR824 are quite different from the UR28M, (the 824 having better specs), especially the DI having 1MOhm over 500kOhm and the headphones outs having 75mW over 35mW. I had some urgent stuff coming in before the UR824 was released, so I got the UR28M back from the dealer, and still have it here, but got the UR824 to try out on Friday, so I can compare them one on one.

So, my points of critique on the UR28M, how does the UR824 do?
1. Sound of the DI: Clearly and very audibly much better, no high frequency roll off as is very noticeable on the UR28M
2. Volume of the headphones outs: exactly the same, which I don't understand given the difference in the tech specs
3. Converter quality on DA side: BIG DIFFERENCE. With the UR28M, listening to a song sounded just nice. With the UR824, I had tears in my eyes. THAT good. Everything I was missing from the UR28M, the "space" and "three dimensionality", the clarity and resolution, it is all there. AWESOME!!!
Apart from that, the UR824 has still everything I loved about the UR28M, except for the form factor, but I can live with that. heh

So, I will just get over the headphones outs issue, and tomorrow my UR28M goes back to the dealer and the UR824 is a keeper. And I am a very happy owner of it. A piece of gear that I tried out and knew after a very short while I love it!

TOTAL RECOMMENDATION!!!

For those who want to know the latency: On a Macbook Pro 17'' late 2010 model with the i7 CPU in Cubase 6 under Lion: input ca. 6 ms, output ca. 5 ms. Didn't disturb me at all tracking guitars through the DI into Cubase with amp sims. And installation and first start-up was a total breeze, no issues at all. 5 minutes installing, ready to go.
I own the UR28M (nice box) and asked a fellow studio engineer who does clinics for Steinberg if there was a difference in sound between the UR28M and the UR824 and he said there wasn't and he has worked with both these units in production work many times.

But, I will email Steinberg and ask directly. It would be nice to hear it from the "horses mouth"
Old 5th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
I own the UR28M (nice box) and asked a fellow studio engineer who does clinics for Steinberg if there was a difference in sound between the UR28M and the UR824 and he said there wasn't and he has worked with both these units in production work many times.

But, I will email Steinberg and ask directly. It would be nice to hear it from the "horses mouth"
I own the 28M too and have some very good mileage on the 824 and on the 816 as well. There is a difference, but it's very very small among those three, both in terms of D/A and A/D. Steinberg will confirm that they have slightly different components with different specs, buts its too close and maybe too close to call.
Old 5th July 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
I own the 28M too and have some very good mileage on the 824 and on the 816 as well. There is a difference, but it's very very small among those three, both in terms of D/A and A/D. Steinberg will confirm that they have slightly different components with different specs, buts its too close and maybe too close to call.
Cool! Do you have any other converters besides Steinberg? I'm leaning on either the Burl B2 ADC and perhaps a Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC or the Benchmark DAC2 to run the Burl into. If not those, then maybe the MADA-2a.

SEA
Old 5th July 2015
Quote:
Cool! Do you have any other converters besides Steinberg? I'm leaning on either the Burl B2 ADC and perhaps a Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC or the Benchmark DAC2 to run the Burl into. If not those, then maybe the MADA-2a.

SEA
I have a TC BMC-2 (D/A) feeding my monitors. Better than the URs for sure. Not night and day by any means, but definitely an improvement.
Old 6th July 2015
My wife, who has no clue about audio, could spot if playback came from the UR28M or the UR824 in a blind test, every single time correct, never needing more than 5 seconds to listen. The difference is clearly audible.

At Musikmesse 2013, a Steinberg rep also told me clearly that there is a definitive difference in DA Quality between the UR28M and the UR824, while the MR816 would be very close to the UR824.

I had the opportunity to notice the difference again when I switched back from the UR824 to the UR28M. The UR824 was total feature overkill for me, and later on I got an Axe Fx II for guitar recordings. So on the one hand the DI Quality became a non-issue, on the other hand it was easier to connect the Axe to the UR28M since they both have coax SPDIF, while the UR824 only has optical ADAT. So after using the UR824 for quite a while, I had the UR28M sitting on my desk again. And I must say, I had a hard time getting along with the loss in DA quality.

Anyway, this is complaining on a high Level - the UR28M is very good, it's just that the UR824 is, well, awesome. *grin*
Old 6th July 2015
Your wife has better hearing than me as it seems. Maybe my extensive mileage with all the URs and MRs is clouding my judgment?

Agreed that we're complaining on a high level.
Old 6th July 2015
Quote:
My wife has "bat ears" as I say! We did some AB loopback test with the MADA-2 and the HAPI. She picked out the MADA-2 every time and like it the best

I'd try the UR824 and test it against the UR24M if I was sticking with Steiny, however it looks like I'll be bumping up to the Burl Mothership and call it a day!

BTW - Does you UR28M audio "skip" when you stop your session? I'm using Reaper 64bit and not matter what latency, the UR28M's audio will "skip" or "hiccup" like when I stop play like audio is on/off, on/off, on/off etc.

I posted this on the Steinberg forum and one end-user had the same issues (hmmm)

SEA
Hun...don't think I ever encounter that. Are you on the latest firmware and drivers?

Adding to my comment above, I never had the chance to do extensive comparisions of the D/As in my own room, which is well treated and has great (Dynaudio) monitoring. My tests were on a less-than-ideal sounding room (barely treated) on good-but-not-great speakers (Yamahas MSP5 and HS80). Which might explain why I haven't picked out the D/As on the URs and MR. Maybe in my room I can tell them appart, I'll try to get at least the 824 here someday and check out how it fares against the 28M.

In terms of A/D there's a difference but not a significant one between the URs 28 and 824 and the MR816 - I have a better condition on this A/D test since I have recorded a lot on those units and have mixed those recordings in my place, with good monitoring conditions. I recently did some recording on the UR44 and UR22 and have the results to be worst than those mentioned above, but I have to do further tests to confirm it.
Old 6th July 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hun...don't think I ever encounter that. Are you on the latest firmware and drivers?
Yep! Running a newer Dual Core Xeon with 32 gigs of ran too!
Old 6th July 2015
@SEA: that's weird. Change the USB port maybe?
Old 6th July 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
@SEA: that's weird. Change the USB port maybe?
Been there, done that!
Old 6th July 2015
@SEA: I had some problems with the UR but they were mostly regarding sample rate changes when opening PT projects on different rates. Other than that it runs smooth. I had one blown pre-amp, but that was on the hardware side of things.
Old 6th July 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
@SEA: I had some problems with the UR but they were mostly regarding sample rate changes when opening PT projects on different rates. Other than that it runs smooth. I had one blown pre-amp, but that was on the hardware side of things.
It runs pretty smooth... it's just when I stop the project. Even at 1024 latency.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search