The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dual boot Macbook?
Old 17th September 2011
Dual boot Macbook?

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.

I use a Macbook as a recorder with my MH boxes. Is there a way to set up another "user" so that when I record, I only have the MH stuff and the two HDDs taxing the CPU and no browsers, spotlight, no Word, no etc to take up processor power?

It would be nice to essentially toggle back and forth between using my MacBook as "my computer" and using it as a recorder.

Thanks for any tip on this.

D.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you don't open an app, it's not "taxing" the system.

To disable spotlight, in terminal:

sudo mdutil -a -i off

To re-enable:

sudo mdutil -a -i on
Old 18th September 2011
Thanks, so I don't even need to turn off the wi-fi if I don't open a browser?

D.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi, I use a MBP with my MIOs and while I've actually kept this computer clean (nothin except audio applications) it would be just as easy to just create another user that doesn't do anything but audio. You can disable spotlight, wifi, FW networking for that user and leave all that on for your playtime user.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Thanks, so I don't even need to turn off the wi-fi if I don't open a browser?

D.
Turning off WiFi may give you a slight performance increase. Also, you don't want Time Machine backing up during a recording session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
Hi, I use a MBP with my MIOs and while I've actually kept this computer clean (nothin except audio applications) it would be just as easy to just create another user that doesn't do anything but audio. You can disable spotlight, wifi, FW networking for that user and leave all that on for your playtime user.

Network settings, including WiFi status, are not user dependent. Time Machine settings are global as well.
Old 18th September 2011
Thanks for this information. Shutting off Time Machine will be automatic since the Time Machine disk will be left at home. Wi-Fi is a simple mouse click. Spotlight is disabled universally on my MB.

Any other possible traps?

D.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Thanks for this information. Shutting off Time Machine will be automatic since the Time Machine disk will be left at home. Wi-Fi is a simple mouse click. Spotlight is disabled universally on my MB.

Any other possible traps?

D.
Disabling journaling on your audio drive should give you slightly better write performance.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search