The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Multing a track in Logic?
Old 17th September 2011
Question Multing a track in Logic?

Special situation:

I have one track (drum) that I want to mult to several channels, to run several instances of Drumagog on, in parallel?

What's the easiest way to to do this? I'd rather not use sends and buss's. Is there any kind of "pre insert" routing?
Old 17th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post
Special situation:

I have one track (drum) that I want to mult to several channels, to run several instances of Drumagog on, in parallel?

What's the easiest way to to do this? I'd rather not use sends and buss's. Is there any kind of "pre insert" routing?
copy track until you have as many tracks you want
Old 17th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
copy track until you have as many tracks you want
I should have added: I don't want to duplicate tracks, typically the track will be VI, and that will just gobble up resources.

Duplicating tracks is the obvious answer, but won't always work in my situation. I want a single track, feeding other tracks. That way I can make edits to one track, without having to delete/copy/paste regions to the other tracks.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post
Duplicating tracks is the obvious answer, but won't always work in my situation. I want a single track, feeding other tracks. That way I can make edits to one track, without having to delete/copy/paste regions to the other tracks.
If the track is VI, then I guess you're saying it's MIDI. If it's MIDI, you can create region aliases. The other option is to wire up something elaborate in the Environment.
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West View Post
If the track is VI, then I guess you're saying it's MIDI. If it's MIDI, you can create region aliases. The other option is to wire up something elaborate in the Environment.
That could work, but I'd still have to set up multiple VI's... and, sometimes, I will be using audio that I want to send to different tracks. Again, duplicating gets messy if I want to make edits...

My kingdom for simple, pre-insert multing!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

If I understand your question properly here is the solution:

Create as many more empty audio tracks as you need. Set the input of them to bus 1 (or any bus number).

On your original track create a send to bus 1.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Why are you using drumagog on VI's to begin with? Use better samples in the VI? Or a different VI?
Old 20th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Robb View Post
If I understand your question properly here is the solution:

Create as many more empty audio tracks as you need. Set the input of them to bus 1 (or any bus number).

On your original track create a send to bus 1.
I figured that was my best bet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Why are you using drumagog on VI's to begin with? Use better samples in the VI? Or a different VI?
See, I like the VI samples I'm using, but am BLENDING the Drumagog with the samples. I don't want to "freeze" the drums because I like to preserve edit-ability.

Let me explain my workflow; for some projects, I have a separate "drum" project, in which I get all my samples/sample replacement straight. Then I bounce out the tracks, and bring them into my MAIN song project.

I do not muck with samples in my main song project... or try not to. That way I'm not eating up resources with VI's or replacement, and I'm not distracted with endless tweaking options; I can just focus on mixing the sounds I have. If I need to make a tweak to timing or samples, I go back into my drums project.

I find it better for my system resources, and more in line with the "modes of thinking" I prefer to maintain while mixing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search