The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools HD, Mac Pro, Random Brief Freezing DAW Software
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Pro Tools HD, Mac Pro, Random Brief Freezing

Hopefully some can point me in the right direction here. I have a 2008 Mac Pro Harpertown 2.8 8 Core Mac Pro with a HD2 system. I'm currently running Pro Tools 9.0.5 on Snow Leopard 10.6.7. Every works okay as far as the software goes, however, when working in Pro Tools, I'll try to edit or just navigate around the screen and the mouse will lock up and the screen with freeze (audio keeps playing flawlessly). The system is then unresponsive for about 3-5 seconds. And say I hit stop during the freeze, the audio will play until it unlocks itself. Typically when I first open a session everything is smooth for about the first 5 minutes, then it starts happening. I have put in a Seagate 1 TB drive in addition the stock 500GB that came with the tower. I have the same issues running sessions off either drive, so I don't believe it's hard drive problem. I did upgrade my memory with four gigs of ram. And if I remember correctly it all happened when shortly after I upgraded the hardware. Does this sound like a ram issue? I have reset the PRAM and it didn't do much good. Any help is greatly appreciated. Editing takes about twice as long because of the stalling. Thank you!
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've been getting these too, it might be a 9.0.5 issue. It could also be a plug-in that's causing this, I suspect the Relab LX480 to cause hiccups like that - does it happen on sessions without plug-ins too?
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I figured out the issue on my end. Graphics card was the issue, which I kind of thought it would be that considering my C|24 never locked up. I just used monitor output 2 on my card and all is well. Hope this helps someone else. Tobymusic, it was happening all the time, editing was such a frustration.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search