The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Firewire Questions and System Overload
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

Firewire Questions and System Overload

Hey guys, few questions here.

Runnin a MacBook Pro OS 10.7. 2.66Ghz Core 2 and 4GB RAM.

Used to always use Reason / Record, no hiccups in audio (ever).
Now running Logic Pro 9 and running into CPU overloads (on smaller projects).

Buffer size and system settings being changed has helped a lot but I want to assure that this doesn't happen again. Yes, I am recording all audio into my main internal HD. But that's where my questions comes in:

Looking into FW800 hd's to run audio and samples into. My MacBook has only a FW400 drive (I have an adapter cable). But my question is: does using the adapter cable take all FW800 devices and "reduce" them to FW400? In other words, will me buying a FW800 hard drive be dumb if it's going to reduce to FW400? Should I try and get the 9pin plugin for my MacBook?

Thanks guys!
Old 17th September 2011
if the output of the HD is 800 and the input is only 400 then the bandwidth is reduced to 400

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search