The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
hackinDAW
Old 17th September 2011
hackinDAW

anyone using a hackintosh as their main DAW? how is it working out, any problems? whats your build consist of?
Old 17th September 2011
I do, I even got three of them! Two at work and one at home, they all works just fine! Thou it ain't a real Mac with the nice design!
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

but what about updates?

i thought hackintosh's you couldnt update because it would break all the modified drivers (kexts) .. or are you using an efix device?
Old 17th September 2011
im goin to try my hand at 10.6.5 since lion seems to have a lot of issues. i dont think im going to upgrade
Old 17th September 2011
I did the lifehacker build a few months back. Running cubase 6, RME hammer fall 9652, 3 uad 1 cards. Works fine. I haven't updated, I'm afraid it might kill it.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

@berkleystudios

The key is to buy components that are confirmed builds.I went through 10.6 to 10.6.8 without any issues besides onboard sound dying,but it's an easy fix,also i use a FW interface so onboard wasn an issue.......

Check this out,as he uses it for Live...........
Rack-mount hackintosh for live playing | EigenZone
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow that build looks nice! Might have to try that myself...
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Working lion-setup here, Reaper and latest version of Logic working just fine. Still, I like to do (audio) things with Win7 64bit...
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by avpmusik View Post
but what about updates?

i thought hackintosh's you couldnt update because it would break all the modified drivers (kexts) .. or are you using an efix device?
The state of the art re. hackintosh improves all the time. Most "vanilla" installs can be updated, but it's always best to check first. I built a 2009 version Lifehacker spec'd machine for my DAW running Logic and all the Snow Lion updates worked without a hitch.

I see no reason to go to Lion now although I understand it's possible. I'm not that happy with Lion on my iMac and I'm certainly not going to let it break things on my DAW.
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonouRebel View Post
@berkleystudios

The key is to buy components that are confirmed builds.I went through 10.6 to 10.6.8 without any issues besides onboard sound dying,but it's an easy fix,also i use a FW interface so onboard wasn an issue.......

that resembles my build so much its not even funny. uploading snow leopard now. wish me luck!haha
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonouRebel View Post
That's a nice rig, some good ideas.

There is no way I'd use anything but SSD
for a racked/live rig anymore. I've had
to many drives fail from bumps.

2 SSD drives should be good for live.
You don't need TBs. Watch P07N on a
laptop.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I got one and i can update just fine without problems. I even moded a G5 case to house it all in there. :D
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

I may have a PCI HD2 Accel running on a Gigabyte Mobo with an i7 Quad-core as my DAW daily for over a year. ;-) There are a few quirks but it has been great. Currently running 10.6.4 and PT 9 HD. Upgrading soon to 10.6.8, just need a break in the schedule.

I am thankful to have avoided upgrading from PCI to PCIe. ;-) Added a dedicated FW card and still have 2 open PCIe slots, if I want to get crazy with UAD.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I have a Hack as my main DAW.
It is rock solid. But updating is not always painless.
10.6.8 caused some problems, but it wasn't hard to fix.
I am not in a hurry to update to Lion.
And i don't understand why some peoble are in such a hurry to update a stable system.
I get my Lion kicks on my laptop, and it definitely isn't matured yet.
A hack is definitely not for everyone, you need to know what you are doing,
and do your research.
But that being said, mine is very stable. Never crashes. And it's very fast.
I am running Logic and Nuendo.
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hey forgivness. you have a recipe for your daw? I so wanted to build a daw where I could use pci and running Pro Tools 9
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict
im on a good hack in tosh right now... o yeah
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
I did the CustoMac 2010 build with few changes (i7 950 instead of i7 930, added a SSD drive for the system/boot partition (1TB HD for data partition), CPU watercooling kit). It's such a fast machine, and rock stable too.
FWIW, running several instances of CPU hungry VSTIs such as Madrona Labs Aalto or U-He Ace isn't an issue at all... oh and never had a single issue with Reaper, Reason or anything. And 10.6.8 here.
Old 30th October 2011
Gear Nut
Running ProTools 9.0.2 and Cubase 5.5.3 on my 2.8ghz i7 with 8gb ram....no problems whatsoever on osx 10.6.8....only been mixing on it so far, since it's my "home office" comp
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear
I'm looking to build one. Anyone mind sharing specs. This 06 mac mini though kicking butt needs to rest now. She earned her stars n stripes. Thanks

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

been running hacks since 10.5.x, running 10.6.8 machine here for Apple duties, two friends running hacks at the moment in pro studios, one running HD PCI-X pro tools HD, all running 100%

MC
Old 31st October 2011
I would love to try one on my Laptop, it's just a basic HP G7 with i3, 6 Gigs RAM, 750 Gig HD.

Are these installs picky about spec ?

Thanks!
Old 31st October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfoundlandRec View Post
I would love to try one on my Laptop, it's just a basic HP G7 with i3, 6 Gigs RAM, 750 Gig HD.

Are these installs picky about spec ?

Thanks!
Yes, very.
Old 31st October 2011
Any way to know prior to the install or is it an install and hope for the best situation.

Thanks
Old 31st October 2011
lots of info here..

tonymacx86
Old 31st October 2011
Thanks for the link, looks like a LOT of info. Looking forward to trying this.
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

I've been doing it since Tiger. Now THAT was a nightmare to get running.

Having said that, I just transformed my laptop into a Lion 10.7.2, took me less than 20 minutes start to finish, and it is perfect, I mean p-e-r-f-e-c-t.

SO perfect, that it actually outperforms Win7 in absolutely every respect. When I say absolutely, I mean that my machine was built pre W7, and some HW and ICH9 features broke, but "strangely" work perfectly with OSx. And benchmarks are simply ridiculous too. And I got an extra 35mins of battery life too.

It is so much better its not funny.
Old 2nd November 2011
Old 2nd November 2011
Well with steve jobs gone R.I.P. I could see apple making this more of an official thing. It bugs me that you cant upgrade a mac pro in the same fashion as a pc. motherboard, chip, fan, ram, and you basically have a new machine.A friend of mine bought a used g5 and I was thinking to myself why does all of this have to go to waste the case drives etc. I have a nice rain system and when its time I will replace those few parts and have a whole new system for much cheaper than replacing the whole tower. Though macs have a good resell value and I dont expect them to I would love to see more openness in this regard. They would kill windows in the market too....
Old 1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Here for the gear

Made a hacky 1 year ago. Works great and no problem with updates, haven't upgraded to lion.
i7 920 16 gb ram 6 hd dual boot win7 and snow leopard.
Pro tools logic and ableton working great with an apoge duet.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search