The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
hackinDAW
Old 1st December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by daez View Post
Well with steve jobs gone R.I.P. I could see apple making this more of an official thing. It bugs me that you cant upgrade a mac pro in the same fashion as a pc. motherboard, chip, fan, ram, and you basically have a new machine.A friend of mine bought a used g5 and I was thinking to myself why does all of this have to go to waste the case drives etc. I have a nice rain system and when its time I will replace those few parts and have a whole new system for much cheaper than replacing the whole tower. Though macs have a good resell value and I dont expect them to I would love to see more openness in this regard. They would kill windows in the market too....
One of the reasons macs are so stable is the lack of user customisation.
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Maniac

I found this on Vimeo

How to build a powerhouse hackintosh
How to build a powerhouse hackintosh on Vimeo
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear
Whoa, someone has built a hackintosh to run cubase 6, which performs much better in win 7?
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Nut

I've been fooling with MacOS X on X86 since the 10.4 days (Tiger). I always knew that OS X would come to Intel because when Apple bought NeXT, they had a portable Kernel in hand and second, they always had a "386" branch in their development tree!

That being said, I think I pushed the Hackintosh DAW pretty far... I built a complete Pro Tools HD rig for a friend last year. He had old PCI Core/DSP cards and didn't want to change them for the newer PCIe's.

So, we built a PC with PCI slots and would run Snow Leopard. We had problems at first, Pro Tools is a picky b17ch after all! But, fortunately, when we found out that GigaByte motherboard were real good at this. Some 18 months later, that DAW setup is still going strong, being used 8 to 10 hours a day to mix and record... Never had a single problem.

Hackintoshes does work.
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Girard View Post
I've been fooling with MacOS X on X86 since the 10.4 days (Tiger). I always knew that OS X would come to Intel because when Apple bought NeXT, they had a portable Kernel in hand and second, they always had a "386" branch in their development tree!

That being said, I think I pushed the Hackintosh DAW pretty far... I built a complete Pro Tools HD rig for a friend last year. He had old PCI Core/DSP cards and didn't want to change them for the newer PCIe's.

So, we built a PC with PCI slots and would run Snow Leopard. We had problems at first, Pro Tools is a picky b17ch after all! But, fortunately, when we found out that GigaByte motherboard were real good at this. Some 18 months later, that DAW setup is still going strong, being used 8 to 10 hours a day to mix and record... Never had a single problem.

Hackintoshes does work.
Hey Marc, I have a friend of mine running PT HD 6 on a G4, any ideas on what hackintosh might work for him being that they are all PCI cards?
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Sigmond View Post
Hey Marc, I have a friend of mine running PT HD 6 on a G4, any ideas on what hackintosh might work for him being that they are all PCI cards?
Head over to the DUC or tonymac forum and you'll see what people are using.

In fact if you search here there's quite a few long threads about PCI hackintosh systems.

MC

MC
Old 2nd December 2011
Here for the gear

G5 case

Quote:
Originally Posted by temetrepo View Post
I got one and i can update just fine without problems. I even moded a G5 case to house it all in there. :D
What motherboard did u use and how much chopping did u have to do to the G5 case? I have a dead G5 that I'd like to hackintosh as well!
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplatxx View Post
What motherboard did u use and how much chopping did u have to do to the G5 case? I have a dead G5 that I'd like to hackintosh as well!
Me too!

I have a dead G5 i am considering gutting.
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Addict

dead mac book no money and **** build quailty of apple (New ones are much beter if not as good as old ones) So I used tony mac but i got gigabyte mother baord and had few probs so switch to kakewalk build (very very essy for snow and lion)(it used to be called gigabyte OSx) I hated lion so now I gone back to running snow If you buy support hard ware to match one of builds they work I have metric halo MIO running prefect ! but if cash is NOT prob buy real mac (save you lot time) Do you mess around with Pc or make mess around playing music
Old 9th December 2011
anyone used the kakewalk method for a hackintosh. im still looking at compatibillity issues so i can try and make a hackintosh with as little of hickups as possible.
Old 9th December 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkleystudios View Post
anyone used the kakewalk method for a hackintosh. im still looking at compatibillity issues so i can try and make a hackintosh with as little of hickups as possible.
I would go with Tony Mac's suggestions (google Tony Mac OSX). I built 2 machines, i5 760 & i7 2600K. Both work flawless and from the get go. Very little tweaking (almost none on the i5)...

You need to buy the original Apple Snow Leopard DVD and you can update normally like any real Mac...

You have to buy the right (Gigabyte) motherboard and video card though (buyers guide is on their website) or you might have endless problems and never get it going. Last time I've tried onchip video on the i7 2600K it still didn't work, so I got a Gigabyte ATI 6870 which works great (and is properly recognized in system profiler).
Old 9th December 2011
Lives for gear

My two 24" displays are working just fine in Lion with onboard GPU / 2600k, ASUS PH67-M EVO
Old 9th December 2011
Lives for gear

I love my hackintosh, its my second. Using Tony Mac methods really help avoid issues also its not much of a hack anymore. Almost everything is able to run vanilla now. Pretty much the only true hacking is with the DSDT which will basically if you have a good file you will have everything working out of the box. Some machines won't sleep, that issue varies, I never use sleep anyways. Its worth it.

Edit: Tony Mac has said on numerous threads in his forum that all Gigabyte boards will work with Snow Leopard and Lion. So getting the right Gigabyte board is not an issue. He only made an official post to help the website as those product links are affiliate links.
Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz.com
Old 9th December 2011
I use Hacks for more the 4 years... never had a problem.
The actual one is a 2600K, 8Gb RAM, 128SSD + 1Tb 7.2K 32Mb, running 10.6.8.
Old 9th December 2011
Gear Addict

REPEAT i could not get my gigabyte board to work with tony mac sound drive probs with core audio KAKEWALK work prefect ! Watch our over graphic card's as there not all the same even if they got the same name buy diff manufacturer I used gt 240 1gig by gigabyte and E41 2esl gigabyte mother (with Q6600) work fab

I think Most of newer I7 all work even easyer
Old 9th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplatxx View Post
I used a gigabyte ex58-ud3r. I bought a lian li motherboard tray. Used a dremel to cut the back and used rivets to attach it to the case. Took a couple hours to get it done.
I can run an hd2 pci with this one. No hiccups yet even while updating.
Attached is a pic of the back.
Attached Thumbnails
hackinDAW-imageuploadedbygearslutz1323453309.043354.jpg  
Old 9th December 2011
Old 9th December 2011
Gear Head

I have been running OSX86 as main DAW-computer for nearly 1,5 years now. Very stable beast even with Pro Tools.
10.6.8 has been the most stable one, though recently I had to update to Lion when I changed my graphics card to 560Ti.
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

I'm going this route. Just ordered a whole bunch of parts from newegg. One of my roommates put together a Hackintosh a few months ago and aside from a few quirks with certain pieces of hardware that don't sound like much of an issue, the thing works great. He runs Logic on it perfectly, though maybe not as frequently or with as much tracks/plugins as I often do. I am admittedly a little weirded out by the idea of putting the immediate future of my studio in the hands of a hacked-together computer that I am building myself, but I have heard nothing but great things about the stability of these things once you get past the hassles and quiddities of the install, if you use the right parts. Plus I guess I can fall back on my current computer (iMac) if anything ever goes horribly wrong, even though it's been practically begging me to upgrade and stop punishing its poor lil processor lately. :(

I'm sure everyone who's looked into this even a little is well aware of this discrepancy, but the computer I am building for $1200 including a monitor (i7 quad 3.5ghz, 16gb ram, etc.) would sell for $3800, and that's without a monitor, on apple.com (and the closest equivalent from their system builder would be a slightly lesser system tbh). I had NO moral/ethical/legal qualms about running OS X on a non-Apple machine once I looked at that difference, that is just a stupifying markup. Even if they hunt me down and sue me for violating whatever agreement, I'm sure the cost of the settlement would be less than the cost of the difference, I mean, that is crazy. And no matter how long it takes me to get my system running, I can't imagine it actually costing me $2400 worth of my time! But I don't expect it to take that long anyway, apparently it's very (well, relatively) easy to get up and running on one of these things these days.

Going Logic, not PT, so no headache of Accel cards thankfully. Great to hear so many success stories in this thread. Wish me luck!
Old 12th February 2012
i only use pro tools. and even though i am the OP i still havent bitten the bullet to do it (i dont have the time right now) i hope that i can do it soo. i plan the same build as use. but i may go up to 24 gigs of ramm just for the hell of it. (and if i chose the right mobo. anyone know how much gig space the os takes up on a hard drive?

with the PC i built for the studio im using an ssd but its a small one. only able to install PT and a hand full of emulating plugins. is is OSX take up less space than win7
Old 12th February 2012
im obviously going to get another SSD, but just to get a start up going
Old 12th February 2012
Gear Addict

TOP tip use carbon clone copy to back up your patch OS build (to usb stick or drive) I have 2 small boot drives that i can just swap over then if any software up dates F*** it you can re-stall to last build quickly And have all your other stuff like project recordings on other hard drive then you can't lose stuff if you got re-install
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emearg_s View Post
TOP tip use carbon clone copy to back up your patch OS build (to usb stick or drive) I have 2 small boot drives that i can just swap over then if any software up dates F*** it you can re-stall to last build quickly And have all your other stuff like project recordings on other hard drive then you can't lose stuff if you got re-install

good advice for any OSX user. Super Duper is also a great cloning tool, I've been using that lately. Also keep a boot CD around in case your boot loader gets messed up, you can always boot from your CD the reinstall the bootloader once into your OS. Disk warrior will mess your boot loader on a Hack so be aware of that if you use it.

MC
Old 12th February 2012
Gear Addict

Few teething problems (kernal panics) that have settled down now I've dropped my overclock from 4.5 to 4.3.

Running Logic smooth in Lion. Half again quicker than my 2.8 Octo-core MP.
Old 12th February 2012
Gear Head

I wonder how's the legal status of hackintoshes. Are they safe to use in a commercial studio or could one get in trouble because of non-compliance with the EULA of MacOS?
Old 12th February 2012
Gear Addict

If you running Commercial studio
1) You spent a min 100k more like more than 200k on gear whats 3k more for real mac
2) If you be still be spending 1k on software + plugging on top (your not going to use garage band)
3) You got have some kind rack or Plant room for the noise so just hide it in there when it boot who ever going to know
4)legal wise I not sure there lot bS that if its got the apple log on its legal but i sure they change the end user agreement to sort that
Old 12th February 2012
Gear Addict

If you do custom instal options (delete printers and language pack) lion around is around 6gig installed my build with software and everything is around 18 gig (lion,logic, iWork's,iLife Vlc and drivers for Midi and sound card and all main stuff (data, iTunes, movies plug in's everything else is on other drives)

BIG BUT Logic and all other software must be installed On main boot drive you can copy them off but It pain for voice/ instrument samples its around 80 gig for the jam packs OHH and they not install on lion dew to roseate instal package So need to be un packed under snow or early and copy across

If you don't boot camp to win 64 gig (sdd that I use is enof but I have fudge the plug in's)

if you boot camp to windows 128 gig min with bigger windows partition you need really min 80 gig for win
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

OK, so after a couple days of utter and complete dread, thinking "I've made a terrible mistake, I'm ****ed, what is UP with this computer, I'm so screwed" etc., I finally seem to have gotten past all the quirks of getting this thing going, and my machine has been running solid as a rock for the last few days. Opening up huge projects with all of my plugins like it's not even a thing. Everything works. I just spent 3+ hours tracking continuously in Logic, no dropouts, no nothing. CPU meter barely moved the whole time. This thing is a beast compared to my old iMac!

And to a few posts above, saving $2500+ on a computer is a HUGE deal to me. I certainly don't have $200k worth of gear in my studio. I get very good results out of modest gear and my clients leave happy. If I can take on some of the labor of setting up a system myself, even if there's a little bit of murkiness to the process, and save 2/3rds or more of the cost?.. that is a risk that I decided I was willing to take now that hackintoshes have been around for a few years, are running stable for many people, and have a large support community. I would have been much more reluctant two years ago. The legal thing is a non-issue. I bought a copy of an operating system and installed it on a computer. I don't care what's in Apple's agreement, there is nothing to be concerned about there. The issue is stability + support, and I can say that it is at least on par with my iMac in the first category and as for the latter, with Google one has all the support they should need if they're clever enough about what they're doing in the first place.
Old 22nd February 2012
Great to hear it went "fine"...
If you spend a few hours doing your research and choose your parts carefully, it shouldn't take more than 4 to 5 hours to build the machine and install the system.
Sorry... I'm that slow building computers heh
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search