The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Might a laptop be the way to go after all? Audio Interfaces
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Might a laptop be the way to go after all?

My good ol' music computer, a desktop is getting old and hard to boot. The fans are terrible. Propbably standard for desktops, or even a bit better since I bought better fans, but still terrible for music production. The computer can easily be heard when listening to my vocal tracks, especially with compressor on.

Anyways, today my girlfriend bought a brand new laptop. An Asus K52j, with i7 processor and DAMN was it quiet. I hardly heard it work at all. So naturally I ask myself if I should go for a laptop??

But then I had to drop PCI soundcards which means Firewire or USB card? As far as I know both of them has worse latency than PCI? Firewire being a bit better? But when I look at the specification for laptops hardly any of them got Firewire connections?

What is your advice? When I Google, a lot of people seem a bit negative about laptops as DAW:s, but I really don't know why.

If your advice is to go for an desktop computer after all, how do I choose the most quite one??

Thank you in advance.
Old 17th September 2011
i dont know how well versed you are with building computers but you can build a very nice, quiet desktop for around 7-8 hundred easy
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I dont build myself, but on some webbshops you can let them put togheter the parts you choose. Problem would still be to know which parts are the most quiet.
Old 17th September 2011
HP business models are AMAZING for audio production. great dpc latency, FW, express slot, SSD drive bay, dedicated graphics. I could go on. It's quiet, extremely fast, cool, and reliable.

I bought an Elitebook 8560p and have it running flawlessly with my Saffire Pro 40 and a Siig TI fw card.

My gf also has a standard ASUS bamboo that works like a dream too, with no tweaking. No fw or express slot though.

I highly recommend the HP business models. I got my machine for under $900 brand new from TD.

No regrets, and flawless sessions for under $1k over here.

I also have a desktop which I use a lot, but if I had to depend solely on my notebook I wouldn't really notice a difference in workflow.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

a laptop will not compete with a desktop, but you can do nice work with a laptop. I've been using them to do remote recording for years but when it gets down to power editing, I want the speed of PCIe audio cards and sata hard drives, the greater power of the CPU (unencumbered by the compromises that it takes to run a laptop) and all that extra memory, and I want my three 19 inch monitors. Editing audio on a single laptop screen is a chore. Adding a second screen is just goofy, because they do not match and it is hard to get them side by side.
Old 18th September 2011
Elitebook 8560p :i7 $3500 in Australia,yikes!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search