The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mouse/Trackball Key Commands
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

Mouse/Trackball Key Commands

Is there a way to set the DAW Key Commands for ZOOM OUT/IN to the mouse wheel or ring of a trackball?

I'm using buttons on my X-tra Keys pad now for that, but I would much rather use the mouse wheel. Is there a way to get the key command control to see it the same way it does the number pad on the keyboard?
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

What DAW are you using? In Reaper, this is the default behaviour of the scroll wheel/ring. In Logic, it's defaulted to Option + Scroll for vertical zoom, and Option + Shift + Scroll for horizontal zoom. You can also change this in both applications.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg64 View Post
What DAW are you using? In Reaper, this is the default behaviour of the scroll wheel/ring. In Logic, it's defaulted to Option + Scroll for vertical zoom, and Option + Shift + Scroll for horizontal zoom. You can also change this in both applications.
I'm on Nuendo. Somebody from the Nuendo site just gave me the combination. Thanks anyway for your help.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

So what was the combination?
I'm on Cubase and would like to be able to do that too.
Shift + scroll wheel = sideways scroll,
but what is scroll wheel zoom?
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djembe View Post
Hold down CTRL + ALT while turning the wheel. I'm using a trackball. So left was zoom in and right was zoom out. I don't know which direction on the center mouse wheel will do which.

There is one other thing that I'm trying to investigate. I appears that you need to have the cursor over the zoom control while you're running the function. When I had the cursor elsewhere, it turned into the pencil tool icon and the zoom function would only go so far in and not come back out. But if I moved the cursor down to the zoom level indicator, this combo worked as expected.

Once I figure out all of the ins and out of this, I'm thinking that I'll change my zoom horizontal buttons into zoom vertical buttons. I'll use the wheel for width and the buttons for height.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

OK. Thanks for that.
Yes the curser has to be right over the zoom control in order for it to work.
So you have to do 3 things to use the scroll wheel as a zoom tool - press control+alt, move the curser to zoom control, then scroll.
Much quicker to just press G or H.
It would be great to just scroll zoom without having to do the other 2 things.
Anybody know how to do this?
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
OK. Thanks for that.
Yes the curser has to be right over the zoom control in order for it to work.
So you have to do 3 things to use the scroll wheel as a zoom tool - press control+alt, move the curser to zoom control, then scroll.
Much quicker to just press G or H.
It would be great to just scroll zoom without having to do the other 2 things.
Anybody know how to do this?
And now we've come FULL CIRCLE on this. That is the exact question I was asking when I started this thread. I was trying to get the key command to actually "see the trackball's wheel," so that G & H would be "tethered" to the direction of the wheel. But I have only seen this done on top shelf controllers like the Euphonix MC PRO. So, my guess is that we'll have to make do with the 2 handed option. It's still faster and now I can use my X-tra Keys buttons for vertical zoom, which I use less of the time. But if you find anything out to that end, please let me know.
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
For Cubase, zoom in/out is just Ctrl + Mousewheel. At least it is for me on 5.5.3

Unless u guys are referring to a different kind of zoom cuz there's like "zoom all tracks" etc.

I found this thread cuz I was wondering why u cant use the mousewheels with L/R control. It seems like the most sensible way to scroll right or left as opposed to Shift + mousewheel.

I know not all mouses have L/R functionality in the wheel but its super common these days.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search