The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dead Quiet, Huge External Drive Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Dead Quiet, Huge External Drive

Hi All,

I need suggestions for a truly silent external drive that can be 1.5tb or larger. Bonus points if they don't have a blinding LED.

I've been using OWC Mercury external drives for years. Here's the thing: they have a little fan that runs all the time and I can hear it. I would really like to find an external drive (at least 1.5tb) that doesn't have a fan I can hear (or uses a heatsink or something). This is purely for Time Machine backup, not for recording or anything.

OWC's bus powered drives are silent, but don't come in 1.5 sizes.

Thanks.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I want a dead quiet one with Thunderbolt & Raid & No fans (ambient cooling)

...until then the Western Digital MyBook Studio Edition 2 RAID are very quiet, only disc spinning noise to contend with....

I want cheaper, huge SSD!!!!!!!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedomus View Post
I want cheaper, huge SSD!!!!!!!
Come back in 5 years than....
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I just bought a 3tb version of one of these: Review: Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition

Because it is on the network, it can be anywhere.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
Hi All,

I need suggestions for a truly silent external drive that can be 1.5tb or larger. Bonus points if they don't have a blinding LED.

I've been using OWC Mercury external drives for years. Here's the thing: they have a little fan that runs all the time and I can hear it. I would really like to find an external drive (at least 1.5tb) that doesn't have a fan I can hear (or uses a heatsink or something). This is purely for Time Machine backup, not for recording or anything.

OWC's bus powered drives are silent, but don't come in 1.5 sizes.

Thanks.
Here's an alternative that I don't know if you've considered: use an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station or an Apple Airport Express ($99) to hook up your external HD via USB or ethernet to it in an entirely other room. I do this with a noisy Lacie 4Big RAID drive, and obviously, there's zero noise
There are performance drawbacks of course, but Time Machine works very transparently.
Old 17th September 2011
I use a Lacie Minimus for backups. Its 2 TBs but only USB 3. The only noise is the drive spinning up and down. Hardly anything to worry about.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Gearslutz.com
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the replies--I'll look into some of these.
Old 18th September 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDaveDave View Post
Here's an alternative that I don't know if you've considered: use an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station or an Apple Airport Express ($99) to hook up your external HD via USB or ethernet to it in an entirely other room. I do this with a noisy Lacie 4Big RAID drive, and obviously, there's zero noise
This you'll have to explain again. I have an Airport Express, too, but I wasn't aware one could connect HDs directly to it?
Old 18th September 2011
Deleted User #106149
Nothing wrong with my western digital external. Very portable, Quiet and a discrete, cheap and most reliable drive I've had so far please just never get a seagate external.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Depends on how much you move it around, those WD externals die a lot when we use them for swapping video projects around the office. Also you might want to mention price before someone suggests something like a Drobo heh
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru

some of these suggestions are assuming the drive is for backups and some assume it is a working drive.

If it's a backup drive, the fan noise is immaterial. You can turn it off until it is time to do the backups. If it's a working drive it can be smaller and internal because how many sessions are you working on at any one time?
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Depends on how much you move it around, those WD externals die a lot when we use them for swapping video projects around the office.
Which ones are those? I have a pair of WD Elements that don't ever move and haven't caused any issues so far... (And no fans either).

To be precise, the disks are fine but the external power supplies were an issue in the series I bought (The silver metal casing Elements Desktop 1TB with rubber end caps. Not the black plastic ones) . If you call the WD help line they send you replacement power supplies for free.

Alistair
Old 20th September 2011
Deleted User #106149
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Which ones are those? I have a pair of WD Elements that don't ever move and haven't caused any issues so far... (And no fans either).

To be precise, the disks are fine but the external power supplies were an issue in the series I bought (The silver metal casing Elements Desktop 1TB with rubber end caps. Not the black plastic ones) . If you call the WD help line they send you replacement power supplies for free.

Alistair
Got the black plastic WD elements and its most reliable drive I've owned yet. I move it around a lot, can't see how purely moving a drive would do anything even to the worst of hds.

The problems I had with every Seagate I owned were so consistent its obvious they were cutting corners. They used to tell me I was just "unlucky" !

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcb123 View Post
Got the black plastic WD elements and its most reliable drive I've owned yet. I move it around a lot, can't see how purely moving a drive would do anything even to the worst of hds.

The problems I had with every Seagate I owned were so consistent its obvious they were cutting corners....
nonsense. In the first place, each of the drive manufacturers makes more than one model. All models from any company are not equal. And with each model release, the reliability is different. There are times when Seagate is the drive to buy, other times when it is WD, other times when it is another manufacturer altogether.

(By the way, Seagate built a multimillion dollar facility in Pittsburgh to be close to Carnegie-Mellon U, one of the brightest schools for computer sciences. Not the move of a company trying to take shortcuts.)

By way of full disclosure... I use neither Seagate nor WD drives....
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
WD Mybooks, 1TB & 2TB models. And when I say move around, it's not uncommon to swap a drive between workstations 4-5 times a day to swap footage or grab something off one of the RAID drives. Failure rate was probably around 40% after 4-6 months...which isn't great. At the same time I have a 1TB Mybook in my home workspace that never moves and works fine (which is why I specifically mentioned the work related issues).

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
nonsense. In the first place, each of the drive manufacturers makes more than one model. All models from any company are not equal. And with each model release, the reliability is different. There are times when Seagate is the drive to buy, other times when it is WD, other times when it is another manufacturer altogether.

(By the way, Seagate built a multimillion dollar facility in Pittsburgh to be close to Carnegie-Mellon U, one of the brightest schools for computer sciences. Not the move of a company trying to take shortcuts.)

By way of full disclosure... I use neither Seagate nor WD drives....
In 2005 Seagate purchased Maxtor, and eventually the CEO & VP decided to move a large portion of the company's operations to a Maxtor plant that was rumored to have issues. In Jan/Feb 2009 Seagate's Board completely removed the CEO & VP (you can google this) and publicly admitted to issues affecting consumer (AS series) and some enterprise (ES) drives related initially to specific firmware versions and serial numbers but it was soon apparent that *many* drives coming out of that particular plant across 9+ months of operations were having issues. Gave the company a HUGE black eye and some people have avoided the company since. On a related note there are issues this past year with 1TB consumer (AS) models completely dying, including affected iMac models.

And again I have 3x Seagate ES.2's running flawlessly in my 2008 era Xeon and 2x 1TB ES.2's in my Mac Pro (also 2008 era) since I purchased them in 2008/2009. I have flashed the firmware on *all* of them howeverto updated approved 'good' versions from Seagate, to avoid any potential issues even though only 3 of the 5 were made in the serial ranges that may have been (but weren't supposed to be) affected. I have purchased 1-2 Seagate drives since that time when I don't have time to wait on shipping, but when I can order in advance I tend to get WD or Hitachi drives (from zipzoomfly as I find they use the proper packaging). I hear that Samsung's F3's are good too, but have avoided them since I had 3 out of 3 F1's die on me several years ago. I do realize that anecdote != data but the F1 issues were documented by other people who put them to heavy workloads.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, I know... and you don't have to look very far into the past to find WD models that were junk, too. (and some years ago I had a brand new WD that fell apart... the head flew off the arm and was bouncing around inside the chassis destroying the platters... made a cool coffee-grinder sound....) or to find a time when the only drive the pros would use were Seagate. You can choose never to buy Seagate again, or when you are ready for ore drives you can investigate what is out there and buy the best within your budget. That is what I do. (shrug.) They all have good days and bad days. I just can't get too excited about it, just try to sort through the available information and then throw a dart...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search