The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
using waves with ableton
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

using waves with ableton

Hi
My main DAW is Logic but i also use Ableton in my Mac Pro.
I work with someone who only uses Ableton which is fine.
Right now i shunt everything over to logic completely.

Is it possible to set up my Waves plugins to work properly in Ableton?
right now i have simply accepted that they do not function here and the whole architecture of Ableton renders them useless.
I only really want to mix on one platform for my mental health!!

I think it might actually be quicker for me to mix some of his tracks in Ableton but WOULD need all my plugins!

so..has anyone got round this?
how did you do it?

Thanks

scruffydog
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use Waves plug ins in Ableton... why do you think they don't work?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

Hi Scruffy Dog,

You may have an audio units vs. VST issue. Try this: In Ableton, go to preferences (command and ,) - Click on the "File Folder" tab - look in the plug-in sources section - do you have Audio Units turned on? VST? Try to "rescan" your plug-ins from this pane.

The third circle down from the top left is the plug-in devices. scroll down to the waves folder and click on the arrow, the folder will open and you'll see all your waves plugins.

Waves works great in Ableton.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

hi..thanks...
there's a little bit on abletons site about it too...so i moved the 'waveshell-vst' from inside the vst folder and now i am good.

great stuff!

scruffydog
Old 10th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydog View Post
hi..thanks...
there's a little bit on abletons site about it too...so i moved the 'waveshell-vst' from inside the vst folder and now i am good.

great stuff!

scruffydog
Nice! I tried moving it to a different folder within /VST with no luck, but once you get it outside of /VST it actually works. Cool!
Old 21st August 2013
Gear Head

You are my favorite person of the week!

I can't believe this fixed my Ableton freezes, but it did! Thanks!

For the record of anyone else having a freeze on start up on a Macbook Pro:

1. Hold Alt and click on Live. Then open up preferences and go to the File/Folder tab. Make sure all plug-in sources are OFF. Then turn on the Use VST Plug-in System Folder button.

2. At this point your system should scan in all plug-ins. If it freezes do the following.

Navigate to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins in Finder. Create a new folder called /Library/Audio/UnUsedPlug-Ins that has the same folders as /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins but they are empty. (MAS, VST3, Etc)

Now select a group of plugins and MOVE them from /Library/Audio/Plug-ins to /Library/Audio/UnUsedPlug-Ins.

I had issues with Waves 9.2 in the VST 3 folder.

3. 3. Hold Alt and Restart Ableton. Rescan the system vst folder.

4. Rinse and repeat until you figure out which plug ins are the problem! Then try to update those plug-ins

Strangest of all is the next step.

5. What fixed Waves 9.2 waveshell in Ableton was moving it out of /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3 and into /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins. Then I rescanned and it all worked great. Oddly enough, I could even move the waveshell back into the main directory after it all started working. I have NO IDEA why this occurred.

Perhaps because moving something into the root /Library/Audio/Plug-ins folder required me to enter my password as admin and allow the change. Maybe that granted some rights access it needed to work properly?!?!?

Anyway, I hope this helps others out with similar horrible Ableton Live Freeze/Crash issues!

Aaron
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear
I always use Vst whenever possible. I know in ableton 8 you had to turn off and back on a waves plugin to work and sometimes again on startup if it was an AU version. Waves Audio Unit plugins always were buggy in ableton, but not to the point of unusable, just annoying. not sure if they fixed it in 9 because I still use Vst.
Old 3rd September 2014
Here for the gear

I just recently started using Ableton 9 with a buddy of mine and just downloaded the software for myself on my MacBook Pro. I'm trying to upload my Waves plug-ins into it but every time I try to scan the plug-ins, the Waveshell files are unable to open. I've been told VST3 isn't really compatible with Live so I've been trying to use the regular VST folder, but none of my existing Waveshell files seem to be working right now in Ableton.

Weird thing is, in the "Places" section of Live, the Waveshells are showing, so it seems Ableton recognizes that the Waveshell files are on my laptop, but still not showing up in my plug-ins, no matter even if I try to rescan them. I've already tried restarting live and re-installing my plug-ins over and over as well.

I attached a screen shot to give you a little more sense of my situation.

How do I get these to work?
Attached Thumbnails
using waves with ableton-screen-shot-2014-09-03-11.46.11-am.jpg  
Old 14th October 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaitan View Post
I just recently started using Ableton 9 with a buddy of mine and just downloaded the software for myself on my MacBook Pro. I'm trying to upload my Waves plug-ins into it but every time I try to scan the plug-ins, the Waveshell files are unable to open. I've been told VST3 isn't really compatible with Live so I've been trying to use the regular VST folder, but none of my existing Waveshell files seem to be working right now in Ableton.

Weird thing is, in the "Places" section of Live, the Waveshells are showing, so it seems Ableton recognizes that the Waveshell files are on my laptop, but still not showing up in my plug-ins, no matter even if I try to rescan them. I've already tried restarting live and re-installing my plug-ins over and over as well.

I attached a screen shot to give you a little more sense of my situation.

How do I get these to work?
Gaitan, I am having the same issue, did you ever get it solved?
Old 14th October 2014
Lives for gear

According to the screen shot VST custom folder is turned off - turn that on and rescan.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search