The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
strange CPU behavior
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

strange CPU behavior

hello
so i upgraded my pc to an i7 3.40 from a core 2 quad (can't recall the speed)

on my previous cpu, when i had a project open in cubase, if the cpu performance was at let's say 50%, it was very stable at that point. wasn't going up, wasn't going down constantly.

but the new i7 cpu on the same project, let's say it stays at 20% of performance, but trips and goes up to 60%, then comes down to 20% again. goes up to let's say 40%, then comes down to 20% again, and so on...

is my cpu defective?
is there any tweaking i should do on my bios for this new system?
is this behavior normal? (i personally don't think so)
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have i7 2600 and mine jumps constantly very quickly from, for example, 35 to 40....and that happens in every project. I mean, everything works perfectly but wouldn't hurt to have it steady lol. :D
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

ya but i don't mind the trips,
the main problem is that every 2-3 minutes it goes up to 100% and i get crackles
i have two interfaces and it does it with both. so it's not driver issue
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Sorry to jump in but are these latest daws plugins going through the roof with cpu use as ive got the latest version of ableton running and its going through the roof with only a few plugins running
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

well i'm using cubase 5.5
all i wanna know is if my cpu is defective, i have a week to return it
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

CPU throttling & possibly a driver for something else (wireless? graphics card?) causing DPC spikes.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

DPC skikes are on grean zone..
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

The first thing I would try is to disable C1E, EIST and similar stuff from BIOS.
You didn't tell me motherboard you have but I guess it's gonna be something similar anyways on any motherboard.

Gigabyte Advanced CPU Core Features
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

If I also turn those two options off, will that be somehow potentionaly harmful for my cpu?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

No, as long as you're adequately cooled there shouldn't be any adverse effects at all. There won't be anyway with C1e (which is just an active halt state) but the lower C-states (C6/C4) that turn off cores also reduce heat, so disabling EIST entirely will mean some additional heat is retained by your cpu. Nothing to worry about though, you're insuring the cpu is at a high state of 'availability' so that it doesn't wantonly turn things off and move your data around (in its internal architecture) when there's very little going on.

If you want to see if this is really what is behind your issues to begin with, yuo can check DPCs (DPC Latency Checker) to eliminate that as a cause and then run something that generates a high cpu load at a pre-established level (say 70%) and try running the same sparse plugin load in your project again. Ie, run a cpu benchmark that allows you to set the performance threshold alongside a very light project and see if the CPU spiking behavior goes away.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
There's no way that a CPU usage meter going up and down means that the CPU is defective. If it goes to 100% it just means that it's being heavily used by the software. That's what you need to focus on. Does Cubase have a profiler? And did you run it again after installing the new CPU? You're more likely to screw things up if you fiddle in the bios without really understanding what you're doing.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
No, as long as you're adequately cooled there shouldn't be any adverse effects at all. There won't be anyway with C1e (which is just an active halt state) but the lower C-states (C6/C4) that turn off cores also reduce heat, so disabling EIST entirely will mean some additional heat is retained by your cpu. Nothing to worry about though, you're insuring the cpu is at a high state of 'availability' so that it doesn't wantonly turn things off and move your data around (in its internal architecture) when there's very little going on.
I have that stock cooler from i7 2600, is that enough?
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

^yes.

Turn off the Halt State garbage (in the BIOS), and you'll run MUCH smoother.
That stuff is more geared toward laptops anyhow (CPU throttling)

THe heat output difference won't hardly be measurable (at least within +/- margin of error). If you're worried, you can always turn on the CPU temp warning (i'd set it high, say 90°C+)
Not that you should ever get that high, if you properly applied thermal paste.
The i7's are actually pretty cool running, and the stock coolers are more than adequate, if you're not doing some crazy overclock or anything.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ok, I disabled those two things (C1e and EIST) and my performance actually got worse. I had frequent cpu spikes to 100% every few seconds. I turned them back on and my performances were back to normal, 35 to 40% cpu in a very heavy project (i7 2600 rules). So, it's best to leave it as it is in my case. :D
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Then continue to investigate, something else is affecting performance and it's hard to correlate cpu load by itself if that's the case. Troubleshooting is a step by step process so you can isolate, identify and fix the cause, the cpu spiking was just a suggestion based on the description(s) given and the nature of i5/i7 systems.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

I am curious, did you do a clean OS install? I find my i7 2600 to be flawless in regards to CPU performance with OEM W7 installed. I am still Ethernet wired and have pretty much no CPU movement at all. And I'm a plug in abuser.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search