The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What type of ACTUAL performance are you getting on your computer? No Benchmarks! DSP Audio Systems
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

What type of ACTUAL performance are you getting on your computer? No Benchmarks!

Just curious what type of real world performance everyone is getting on their computers. im sure there have been enough benchmarks posted on here. i dont care so much about those. are you running 100+ tracks on your laptop? with reverbs? how many tracks does your computer handle? how many instances of reverbs are you putting on you mac pro? whats your cpu percentage after you've recorded 80 tracks and put _____ plugins on all of them? etc, blah blah blah?? i'll start!

i usually have at least 60 tracks for a lot of stuff that i do. Using a mac pro with 8cores with pt9 im around 9% after i use several eq's, delays, and limiter,comp. i think thats pretty good. what about you guys???
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by s12512 View Post
Just curious what type of real world performance everyone is getting on their computers. im sure there have been enough benchmarks posted on here. i dont care so much about those. are you running 100+ tracks on your laptop? with reverbs? how many tracks does your computer handle? how many instances of reverbs are you putting on you mac pro? whats your cpu percentage after you've recorded 80 tracks and put _____ plugins on all of them? etc, blah blah blah?? i'll start!

i usually have at least 60 tracks for a lot of stuff that i do. Using a mac pro with 8cores with pt9 im around 9% after i use several eq's, delays, and limiter,comp. i think thats pretty good. what about you guys???
I know you're looking for real world examples -- but the reason that people use benchmarks is to try to level the playing field -- since you might have, say, 75 tracks running successfully with plugins a, b, and c running on all the tracks but you might find the same rig crashing with 25 tracks running plugins x, y, and z.

And
it gets even nuttier when you start asking individuals for their anecdotal experiences as you are -- since one guy might have 100 tracks -- but most of the tracks only have a few bars each -- and another guy might have 100 tracks that have audio from start to finish.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

thats fine. but doesnt matter if 2 systems are different. what about YOUR system? what are YOUR experiences with the setup YOU have?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

it depends

i have two win98se machines that run rings around the xp machines with antivirus etc loading them down

got a new (refurb) xp just for audio
going to strip out all the crapware
no antivirus no autoindexing nothing that is not needed to run sonar yada yada

its the software you dont need and how you use the software you do need that is more important to performance
Old 16th September 2011
Intel i7-920 with 4gb ram and some sort of Gigabyte mobo running windows XP, have never run out of CPU power, largest recent session I remember was 140 tracks (each with 1-5 plugins on them) running off a single SATA 3.0 drive. Since I've had this system I've stopped thinking/worrying about system performance, it's never been an issue. But, I use very few VSTis, and rarely more than 2 reverbs on a session.
Old 17th September 2011
I custom built my desktop.

i7, 12 gb ram, gigabyte mobo. TI fw, usb3, etc.

It's a beast. It runs like a dream and I use it for audio, video, and animation. It's an amazing machine and has been a great investment.

My laptop is an HP Elitebook 8560p and it has been a workhorse for me. It's never let me down, and can handle the heaviest working situation. It also has TI firewire which is a big deal to me.

I've never had any issue with my machines, and highly recommend ASUS laptops as well. My gf has a standard Bamboo and it can handle my sessions with no tweaking.

Old 17th September 2011
Well, it depends on which plugins I use. Normal eq and comp... I can run 60 tracks easy.

But actuall use with waves delays, lexicon reverb, mid-side plugins, tape emulations, cla waves, distortion plugs, tuning plug, doublers and automation on my quad core... I wouldn't be able to get through a session on my quadcore without my liquid mix.

With a bit track freezing and liquid mix, I can get a good 32-40 tracks session, with crazy plugins easily done

Sent from my HTC Dream using Gearslutz.com App
Old 17th September 2011
Quote:
thats fine. but doesnt matter if 2 systems are different. what about YOUR system? what are YOUR experiences with the setup YOU have?
What does it matter?

You don't have my hardware. You'd have to prowl second hand computer shops to find it. And then I suspect your performance would still be different since I have very specific things I do to keep my extremely modest hardware performing at optimum.

And you don't have my particular software set up. Even if we were running the same hardware and the same DAW, chances are our performance would be entirely different, since I'm a bit of an optimization-freak. And chances are also that we would likely have a very different line up of plug ins. My favorite EQ and compressor plug ins are both from the early part of the last decade and no longer available as far as I can tell.

Heck, I can set up a project with less than ten tracks and ten plug ins/VI's that will crash from lack of resources but then turn around and set up another project with 60 or more tracks that won't crash because of how it's set up and the plugs I'm using.

Really, what is the point of this thread?
Old 17th September 2011
it's true. the only way to truly test performance is to put it under load with YOUR gear. every situation is different.

all-in-all even consumer computers are becoming decent for audio production at the consumer level.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

December 2009 Intel 8 Core, 6 gigs of ram...

Still the main computer at a full time facility, mixing, mastering, tracking...
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear
32 tracks 32 waves SSL channel strips plus vst instruments=17% CPU using on a i5 2500k.

Windows 7 64 bit.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
it's true. the only way to truly test performance is to put it under load with YOUR gear. every situation is different.

all-in-all even consumer computers are becoming decent for audio production at the consumer level.
i very much understand that every situation is different. im aware that someone could have the same system and they perform totally different. but what is YOUR system performance. dont have to compare. just tell us hw YOUR personal system performs. not that deep!! very simple!! no disrespect!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

My 3 gig AMD has run 25 tracks @44/24 with the typical effects like EQ, compression delay and reverb. I've never had to exceed 25 tracks. However when sampling @96/24 things can get twitchy around 20 tracks. Without effects the sky seems to be the limit. But just how many tracks do you really need? Beyond 25 isn't it just self indulgence. Set some limits and work within them. You'll be sharper and more creative not to mention less lazy.
Old 19th September 2011
restpause
It doesn't really matter what your computer specs are as long as you can still use it effectively to make good music. You don't have to max out your audio sessions with unlimited plugins on every track and running hundreds of tracks. What matters is the music you make with it all.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post
i have two win98se machines
My condolences...

Did you have to get knee replacement surgery for your hamsters?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
I custom built my desktop.

i7, 12 gb ram, gigabyte mobo. TI fw, usb3, etc.

It's a beast. It runs like a dream and I use it for audio, video, and animation. It's an amazing machine and has been a great investment.
My PC is so fast, I finish most projects before I start them.
Old 19th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
My PC is so fast, I finish most projects before I start them.
.skcart ym no sratiug sdrawkcab ynam os era ereht yhw s'tahT .taht ottiD
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search