The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How Can I Get This Effect? DAW Software
Old 16th September 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

How Can I Get This Effect?

The slowdown effect on the word "Bum" etc....the phrase stays in rhythm and pitch but still sounds slowed down. All I can think of is that they sang it an octave higher?

Slowdown by oceantracks on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Thanks for any ideas....I'm in Logic or PT....

TH
Old 16th September 2011
  #2
Gear Head
 
Porter's Avatar
 

Hey dude. That is not a "slow down" effect, it's just a pitch dropping. This would be very simple with melodyne. Just copy the word a few times and then drag the pitch down to the notes you want. I'm sure you can do this in auto-tunes graphical mode as well. If it still sounds too 'natural' just drop the formants as well (if using melodyne).
Old 16th September 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
Hey dude. That is not a "slow down" effect, it's just a pitch dropping. This would be very simple with melodyne. Just copy the word a few times and then drag the pitch down to the notes you want. I'm sure you can do this in auto-tunes graphical mode as well. If it still sounds too 'natural' just drop the formants as well (if using melodyne).
But t's not dropping the pitch down an octave. It's staying at the proper pitch but sounds slowed down. .....that's why I'm scratching my head on this...
Old 16th September 2011
  #4
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
But t's not dropping the pitch down an octave. It's staying at the proper pitch but sounds slowed down. .....that's why I'm scratching my head on this...
The words are being tuned down but the tempo kept the same. It isn't an octave per word but it is certainly being pitched. Your brain is translating the pitch change to a slowing down but that isn't happening. :-)

Alistair
Old 16th September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
The words are being tuned down but the tempo kept the same. It isn't an octave per word but it is certainly being pitched. Your brain is translating the pitch change to a slowing down but that isn't happening. :-)

Alistair
Respectfully disagree.

Listen again. The melody is C-B-A-E (descending). By "A" and "E" the effect is clearly heard (especially on E) but the pitch remains in the same octave as the beginning of the phrase. The only way that could happen is if the last couple words were actually an octave higher, then slowed down to match the rest of the phrase.
Old 16th September 2011
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Respectfully disagree.

Listen again. The melody is C-B-A-E (descending). By "A" and "E" the effect is clearly heard (especially on E) but the pitch remains in the same octave as the beginning of the phrase. The only way that could happen is if the last couple words were actually an octave higher, then slowed down to match the rest of the phrase.
Except that if they're just pitch-shifting the first "bum" you'd get more effect with each successive drop in pitch - you wouldn't need to sing it higher for those notes.

To me it sounds more like a vocoder-style effect - it'd be easy enough to blend in more vocoder with each successive word using automation or crossfades. That would explain the synth-like sound, the overtones, the pitch dropping, and the retention of the vocal/formants in the sound.
Old 16th September 2011
  #7
Gear Addict
 
John_McEnroe's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
Hey dude. That is not a "slow down" effect, it's just a pitch dropping. This would be very simple with melodyne. Just copy the word a few times and then drag the pitch down to the notes you want. I'm sure you can do this in auto-tunes graphical mode as well. If it still sounds too 'natural' just drop the formants as well (if using melodyne).


This is correct.
Old 16th September 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McEnroe View Post
This is correct.
Nope. The pitch is not changing.

TH
Old 16th September 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
MarcB's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Nope. The pitch is not changing.

TH


adjust the formants.
Old 16th September 2011
  #10
Gear Nut
 
jerrymorrison's Avatar
 

So you ask how to do something, and then tell everyone they're wrong when they tell you how to do it?
Old 16th September 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwonderful View Post
So you ask how to do something, and then tell everyone they're wrong when they tell you how to do it?
If 500 people told me it was a wah wah pedal, they'd still be wrong

I don't how to get the effect yet, but I know how NOT to get it, because I've tried all that.
Old 16th September 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcB View Post


adjust the formants.


It is the same PITCH as the rest of the phrase. The slowed effect is what making this seem hard for you guys to understand. It doesn't JUMP down to another PITCH during the melodic phrase. It stays at the SAME PITCH but SOUNDS SSLOOOOOWWWWER.

All you have to do is record it yourself and try it, and you'll see that changing it's PITCH will not get the effect. You will end up with the note an OCTAVE LOWER. It needs to stay in the same register, but sound slowed down.

As I said, picture the notes in question sung an octave higher, then slowed down. That will keep them in the same register (PITCH) as the rest of the phrase, but they will sound slowed down.

I would not have posted the question is if it were as cut and dried as dropping the pitch.
Old 16th September 2011
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
It is the same PITCH as the rest of the phrase. The slowed effect is what making this seem hard for you guys to understand. It doesn't JUMP down to another PITCH during the melodic phrase. It stays at the SAME PITCH but SOUNDS SSLOOOOOWWWWER.

All you have to do is record it yourself and try it, and you'll see that changing it's PITCH will not get the effect. You will end up with the note an OCTAVE LOWER. It needs to stay in the same register, but sound slowed down.

As I said, picture the notes in question sung an octave higher, then slowed down. That will keep them in the same register (PITCH) as the rest of the phrase, but they will sound slowed down.

I would not have posted the question is if it were as cut and dried as dropping the pitch.
The formant change is what you hear when something sounds "pitched down". It's not dropping the pitch it's dropping the formant.
Old 16th September 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
The formant change is what you hear when something sounds "pitched down". It's not dropping the pitch it's dropping the formant.
Yes and THAT makes perfect sense. I tried it in Autotune though and the result is not extreme. So maybe Melodyne, which I haven't used, or something else from Anatares, one of their vocal FX plugs.

thanks
T
Old 16th September 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
MarcB's Avatar
the song is sung going down in pitch and they've adjusted the formant and length to simulate a slow down.
Old 17th September 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 
e-cue's Avatar
 

You should be able to achieve this in Pro Tools by duplicating the word 3 times, then processing the regions with an audiosuite plug in like "pitch", "pitch n time" (only adjusting the pitch parameters), etc, and processing each one accordingly.

Maybe 3 cents?
Old 17th September 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 
DistortingJack's Avatar
 

I can pretty much guarantee that it was the same note that was sung every time and they just pitch-shift it more to get a lower note on something like melodyne but crappier. Basically she sings C-C-C-C and it gets pitch-shifted to C-B-A-E.
To be honest it sounds like arse, but whatever rocks your boat I guess.
Old 17th September 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
I can pretty much guarantee that it was the same note that was sung every time and they just pitch-shift it more to get a lower note on something like melodyne but crappier. Basically she sings C-C-C-C and it gets pitch-shifted to C-B-A-E.
To be honest it sounds like arse, but whatever rocks your boat I guess.
Yep that sounds plausible.

Not my boat...it's Britney's.

TH
Old 17th September 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 
duckoff's Avatar
 

She sung bum once then it is repeated, the pitch is changed and the associated formant change has been exagerrated.

You can do it with melodyne easily (or logic vocal transformer + automation)
Old 17th September 2011
  #20
Gear Addict
 
Nerine's Avatar
 

Why is there even any argument here?

The repeating notes get lower in pitch than the first "bum"

However, the effect, as it has been said, was most likely created by copying the first "bum" three times and pitching it down the scale, increasing the length of the word and flattening the formant. All of which are fairly standard Melodyne operations.
Although, I also agree with the poster that says it sound like arse, because frankly it does.
The effect isn't exactly well done or nice to listen to.... IMO.
Old 17th September 2011
  #21
Gear Addict
 
John_McEnroe's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
If 500 people told me it was a wah wah pedal, they'd still be wrong

I don't how to get the effect yet, but I know how NOT to get it, because I've tried all that.


Everyone is telling you exactly how to get this effEct. It's not rocket science. If you don't want to hear it come up with your own effect instead of copying someone else's production.
Old 17th September 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerine View Post
Why is there even any argument here?

The repeating notes get lower in pitch than the first "bum"

However, the effect, as it has been said, was most likely created by copying the first "bum" three times and pitching it down the scale, increasing the length of the word and flattening the formant. All of which are fairly standard Melodyne operations.
Although, I also agree with the poster that says it sound like arse, because frankly it does.
The effect isn't exactly well done or nice to listen to.... IMO.
Yep, exactly, thanks, that works!

T
Old 17th September 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McEnroe View Post
Everyone is telling you exactly how to get this effEct. It's not rocket science. If you don't want to hear it come up with your own effect instead of copying someone else's production.
Actually only the last couple of posters were specific enough to say that only the first word was used and then pitched down, such as Nerine.....(thanks Nerine, proves you can be helpful without sounding like you've got a stick up your rear end!).

When you get hired to do cover tracks by a client, copying someone else's production is part of the job, Mr Rocket.

TH
Old 18th September 2011
  #24
Gear Addict
 
John_McEnroe's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Actually only the last couple of posters were specific enough to say that only the first word was used and then pitched down, such as Nerine.....(thanks Nerine, proves you can be helpful without sounding like you've got a stick up your rear end!).

When you get hired to do cover tracks by a client, copying someone else's production is part of the job, Mr Rocket.

TH
Well you don't have to literally copy the word before shifting the formant if you don't want to (though of course you can). Glad you found the solution to your problem.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump