The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
No way to download PT9 (I own it!)
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

No way to download PT9 (I own it!)

So I own both Protools HD 9 and Pro Tools 9.
They are both in my iLok account. I'm on the road and just
bought a new Macbook to edit some sessions...
Don't have my PT install disks.

It seems there is no way I can download the orig install? I can download
all the updates for 9... But because I didn't buy PT9 from avid's site it's not
in my available downloads. This seems crazy!?

Anyone have any insight? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
Shouldn't matter where you purchased it - if you purchased it new and registered it with avid... should be your account > pro tools 9.0 then there is a little downloads link - second item down in mine is FULL INSTALLER (third is the PC one)

I can confirm that the download links are protected behind the account wall so if it wasn't registered or you bought it used (even if you transferred the license through avid legitimately) you are not able to download anything but the free cs updates! The serious hole in their system is that the transfer is supposed to include the disks, but there are not any disks anymore! I complained about this to Avid and was told they'd look in to it. Sorry doesn't really help you.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply. I have a bunch of downloads available from the many Digi products I've bought over the years, and yes I registered it properly. But its
not on there. Really don't have time to chase them down over the phone.

The really stupid part about this system is that my Protools 9 checks for and updates itself automatically all the time, directly from the avid site.
Not giving me a link to download the installer is ridiculous.
I'm sure there are tons of PT users out there who can't carry their install dvd's around all the time.

I also looked around and apparently it's totally fine with avid if I find someone with the DVD's and install from them then just use my iLok and updates....so why not just let me download it?

I can also just buy a new PT9 disk from them for 14 bucks. But can't just give them 14 bucks and download the same thing.

Stupid.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Workaround found- hopefully this will help others in this situation.

I had a download link in my account for pro tools 7.4 from an mbox I bought
back in 2006 or so.

I took a chance and downloaded that, installed it, then ran the 9.05 update.
Worked!

Now the weird thing is- it launches Pro Tools HD9- (not just PT 9) but it's running off my Macbook Air Built-In Audio....

Not sure if it's supposed to do that? Oh well it works.

Pretty annoying I wound up calling Avid, begged them to help for half an hour,
and looking directly at my downloads page never once told me I could just install 7.4 then update.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not sure why you can't see them, but in my download section under "Your Products", I have full installers for 9.0.2 and 9.0.5 (along with the updates). I actually just used it to install 9.0.5 on a new iMac.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

You can order the 3 DVD from avid.com for $20.00 - i you need updates just run the updater app in the Pro tools folder to download the updates
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search