The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
soundcloud - do you upload wav's? Utility Plugins
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
soundcloud - do you upload wav's?

I have a question for Soundcloud users - do you upload your tracks as wav files or as mp3, and if mp3 what bitrate are you using?

Thanks!
Old 16th September 2011
restpause
I upload 16-bit 44.1kHz FLAC. They are the same quality as WAV but half the size and can contain embedded meta data (artist/title/album/data/genre/image/etc). I use Foobar2000 freeware to make them and embed into them. FLAC can be quickly and easily converted to WAV and so on, so it's a good format.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've always used 320mp3 but I'll have to look into this FLAC.

I recall trying a 16/44 file and it didn't covert as well as the 320 did on the Soundcloud player.
Old 16th September 2011
Deleted User
WAV only here. SoundCloud already kills the sound a bit, no need to make it worse IMO. If you do it with WAV you can allow anyone to download it as a WAV as well on the song. If its to let someone hear an idea then MP3 is fine
I wouldnt go through the FLAC converting crap myself
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

I usually upload 16/44.1 or 24/44.1 WAVs and make them available for download.

Soundcloud converts to 128 kbps so you don't want to re-convert an mp3 or other lossy format.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

i upload 320mp3 and it's never sounded degraded in any way.
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebec View Post
I usually upload 16/44.1 or 24/44.1 WAVs and make them available for download.

Soundcloud converts to 128 kbps so you don't want to re-convert an mp3 or other lossy format.
And the DLs are in the original format, even though the streams are 128 kbps, right?

I noticed that 320's I uploaded DL in that format -- and with original tagging -- if it exists -- which is why it's so important to tag your material you put up for DL.

It's amazing how many people put their original music up for DL from various services -- but then don't tag it... so if the file isn't properly named with the artist and track title, it's possible to find some great track on your hard drive down the road and have no idea who they heck it is... and that is sad. (And has happened to me on a number of occasions, actually.)
Old 16th September 2011

MP3's for me. No one has said they sound bad...
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
It's amazing how many people put their original music up for DL from various services -- but then don't tag it... so if the file isn't properly named with the artist and track title, it's possible to find some great track on your hard drive down the road and have no idea who they heck it is... and that is sad. (And has happened to me on a number of occasions, actually.)
ain't that the truth. i always tag stuff even if i'm not making it available for download right away. it takes moments and once it's done it's done.
Old 17th September 2011
FLAC or wav. mp3s are garbage and no professional uses them
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Old 17th September 2011
restpause
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
I wouldnt go through the FLAC converting crap myself
It's really easy in Foobar2000. You just select the WAV file and do "Export". You can also assign a hotkey to that function so you can just press Ctrl-E. It works for multiple files too. You can also edit the metadata (title/artist/date/ect) in Foobar2000 including attaching a JPEG or PNG image.

It's really not hard at all.
People can play the FLAC's with VLC.

Or, if you don't like Foobar2000 for some reason, you can use Audacity with the FFmpeg module running. You just choose "Export" and select FLAC as the output.

FLAC settings are much much much more simplified compared to MP3. With FLAC, just select the highest compression setting. Then choose 16-bit or 24-bit. That's it.
Old 17th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
FLAC or wav. mp3s are garbage and no professional uses them
There's at least one ex-professional in your very town who uses them with no qualms -- when appropriate. For distribution of a file that's strictly for playback and where bandwidth considerations are important, I have no problems using a 320 kbps mp3.

At 320 kbps, very, very few people can correctly identify the mp3 from the wav original in a true double blind comparison. And if that's not good enough, of course, there's FLAC or AL, which bring the file size down to about 55% or so of the wav size.

With regard to FLACs and ALs -- as long as you have the codec on your machine and a player that recognizes it, they're like any other format, seems to me.
Old 17th September 2011
i meant no offense, but the only reason I see fit to use the mp3 format is out of necessity. i.e. when the client wants a quick bounce, etc.

for purposes such as soundcloud, there is absolutely no reason to use an mp3 if the uncompressed file is available. you always want to put your best foot forward.

those sites usually compress anyway, so why add more on top of it.

perhaps i should have been more articulate!
Old 17th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
i meant no offense, but the only reason I see fit to use the mp3 format is out of necessity. i.e. when the client wants a quick bounce, etc.

for purposes such as soundcloud, there is absolutely no reason to use an mp3 if the uncompressed file is available. you always want to put your best foot forward.

those sites usually compress anyway, so why add more on top of it.

perhaps i should have been more articulate!
Homies gotta stick together. All good here.

I've argued everything from politics to audio online for almost a quarter century (before the www, I was active on the old dial-up BB scene, Compuserve, local BBs, I was even a beta tester for AOL)... and there is one thing I've found that can really hang a guy and his opinions out and that is an inadequately qualified statement.

That's why -- when I'm on my game, anyhow -- you'll typically see lots of weasel words in what I write: most, many, almost all, usually, seldom, almost never, few, almost none, etc.

Old 27th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Any alternatives to Foobar2000 for Mac people?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search