The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your thoughts on Kramer MPX Saturation Plugins
Old 21st September 2011
  #61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
I'd be interested to know more about the differences between them and what you like better about the ATS-1. Thanks!

J~
I use my ATS-1 for tracking and mixing... it's become an indespensible tool for me. I use the 351 card 75% of the time out of all the cards I have. My thinking was that I could pocket a lot of cash if the MPX could give me what the ATS-1 gives me. After printing a few instruments and vocals thru both the ATS and the MPX, as well as applying to the 2buss, the ATS was a hands down winner for me. The clarity and depth was far superior to me on the ATS1. The MPX sounded hazy by comparison. To each his own.
Old 21st September 2011
  #62
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
I use my ATS-1 for tracking and mixing... it's become an indespensible tool for me. I use the 351 card 75% of the time out of all the cards I have. My thinking was that I could pocket a lot of cash if the MPX could give me what the ATS-1 gives me. After printing a few instruments and vocals thru both the ATS and the MPX, as well as applying to the 2buss, the ATS was a hands down winner for me. The clarity and depth was far superior to me on the ATS1. The MPX sounded hazy by comparison. To each his own.
Thanks so much for the response!

Clarity and depth. 'Makes sense when you consider that one is analog and the other digital.

I think Waves did about as well as can be expected within the processing power of 1 DSP chip.

Seems like if you're in the analog domain then Anamod rules (or a real 351 [I wish!]), but Waves can still give some nice mojo when ITB...

Good info in this thread.

J~
Old 22nd September 2011
  #63
Lives for gear
 
grooveminister's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
Just my opinion, and that's worth squat..but I spent a few days putting the Kramer and the new UAD Ampex on my 2 buss running some finished mixes through them both. I also played around with the Kramer on subs..mostly drums and bass. The UAD Ampex introduces so much latency, I don't see it being viable on subs..at least not in PT9. I liked the Kramer on the subs..but I thought the Ampex plug really brought the mixes to a more polished sound. It seemed to be smoother and tighter on the low end..it smoothed the top end out more and gave the mixes a dimensional aspect that the Kramer did not. Realizing the price difference there should be a difference in quality..I think the Kramer is useful...if you have a UAD-2 card and haven't demoed the Ampex, give it a whirl. I gotta have it, I'm sorry to say.
L.
Doesn´t have PT9 have automatic latency compensation?
I have a UAD-2 Satellite quad and even tried a mix of Ampex & Studer on the individual tracks and experienced no probs at all.
Old 22nd September 2011
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Lenzo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister View Post
Doesn´t have PT9 have automatic latency compensation?
I have a UAD-2 Satellite quad and even tried a mix of Ampex & Studer on the individual tracks and experienced no probs at all.
I was using it on the sub busses...there were other plugs there as well and PT9 couldn't compensate. If it's on a track by itself, then it might fly. I have the UAD Studer and use that on the individual tracks...I kind of think that adding this might be too much, but will probably give it a try in the next few days just to see how it works.
L.
Old 23rd September 2011
  #65
Lives for gear
 
grooveminister's Avatar
I tried both, the Studio and the Ampex as multitrack on the first insert on each channel - and I have to say in UA is right: In most cases the Studer on the individual channels and the Ampex on the 2-bus do the trick.

The was only one situation where I liked the Ampex on both "positions":
A trio: vocals, acoustic guitar, percussion
But even in that case, I can´t say the Ampex is better in the multitrack role.

I think the different characters of the Studer and the Ampex lead to the most desireable sound.
Old 25th September 2011
  #66
Gear Addict
 
DoctorG's Avatar
 

After spending some time with tape plugs, I agree the Studer is the best on individual channels for what I'm doing. I use the MPX where I need grit which you can dial in with the flux setting. The wow and flutter can do good things for 'vintage' strings also.

I think the MPX does an OK job on the master and helps pull things together reasonably well. But, given how good the Studer is, I'm sure I'll like the Ampex for the master as many seem to agree. As I only have a UAD2 duo card I'll always find times when the MPX comes in handy.

I'm sure I'll end up with the Ampex and use the three of them.
Old 25th September 2011
  #67
Lives for gear
 

I love Eddie Kramer and I did buy this bundle (haven't used it yet) but I want to make a comment on the rush to smash everything with tape emulators, and compressors in general...

when I first installed the Cello/Dunlavy speaker setup in the newly treated studio mix room, I pulled out several CDs as tests. Recordings like James Taylor's Hourglass almost came alive, while the Hendrix (either Axis or Electric Ladyland, I forget now) stuff sounded mashed and lifeless and gritty. These tools should be handled like spices, not like main course dishes.
Old 25th September 2011
  #68
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
These tools should be handled like spices, not like main course dishes.
+1.

All "color processors", be they digital or analog, should be handled that way

It's easy to overdo it...

But keep in mind the difference between putting a processor on an already-mastered CD vs on a work in progress.

Cheers,

J~
Old 28th February 2012
  #70
Here for the gear
 

I just bought the Kramer Master Tape because it was half price and have to say that in my opinion it pales in comparison to the UA Studer and Ampex plugs. I would get my money back if I could.
Old 28th February 2012
  #71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonecircle View Post
I just bought the Kramer Master Tape because it was half price and have to say that in my opinion it pales in comparison to the UA Studer and Ampex plugs. I would get my money back if I could.
Why didn't you demo it first?

It is a strong colour, but a really good one IMO.
Old 28th February 2012
  #72
Lives for gear
 
popmann's Avatar
Eh...LOVE it as a tape delay...not as in love as a straight color piece.
Old 28th February 2012
  #73
Lives for gear
Really loving MPX on the drum bus to liven up sampled drums. Adds some nice depth and punch. Like it on the two buss here and there too.
Old 28th February 2012
  #74
I've been playing with it for a couple months. I dig it. Not quite the same as our ATR 102, but it's got a slightly more gritty vibe I dig. Been using it a lot on mix buss lately; it's great for gluing the bottom and low mids together, and has the added bonus of squeezing an extra dB or so of loudness out of a mix, which can be pretty dang useful too.

As mentioned, though, it really, seriously, TOTALLY kicks major ass as a tape delay. It sounds every bit as good to my ears as the tape delays I have on hand (ATR 104 1/4", 102 1/2", Echoplex, Roland Tape Echo), and is a very, very welcome addition to the arsenal in that respect. I actually wish it were more flexible in this capacity, as it'd see a lot more use that way.
Old 28th February 2012
  #75
Lives for gear
 
AcoosticZoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
As mentioned, though, it really, seriously, TOTALLY kicks major ass as a tape delay. It sounds every bit as good to my ears as the tape delays I have on hand (ATR 104 1/4", 102 1/2", Echoplex, Roland Tape Echo), and is a very, very welcome addition to the arsenal in that respect. I actually wish it were more flexible in this capacity, as it'd see a lot more use that way.
I'd like to see is an added feature with the option to sync the tape delay to the song tempo (perhaps in a hidden drop down menu?).

Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 28th February 2012
  #76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
I'd like to see is an added feature with the option to sync the tape delay to the song tempo (perhaps in a hidden drop down menu?).

Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
You might already know this, but you can place your mouse over the speed selection and it will give you a reading in milliseconds. Using that, it's pretty easy to do precise tempo-sync'd delays. Only problem is, the plug only goes as high as 500ms, so options are limited.
Old 28th February 2012
  #77
Lives for gear
 
AcoosticZoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
You might already know this, but you can place your mouse over the speed selection and it will give you a reading in milliseconds. Using that, it's pretty easy to do precise tempo-sync'd delays. Only problem is, the plug only goes as high as 500ms, so options are limited.
cheers.

and here's a little tip for logic users to quickly figure out delay in ms (you don't need a calculator).

Logic's tape delay actually displays delays (that are sync'd) in ms. So, simply copy that figure from Tape Delay and paste it into Waves MPX.
Old 19th March 2012
  #78
Lives for gear
 
skiltrip's Avatar
Very pleased that I can now demo this without iLok thanks to the v9 update! Downloading now.
Old 19th March 2012
  #79
Lives for gear
 
swartzfeger's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
Very pleased that I can now demo this without iLok thanks to the v9 update! Downloading now.
Same. I'm ready to jump in and start trying some Waves.
Old 19th March 2012
  #80
Lives for gear
 

personally i love it! ive been tooling around with it for a few days it give a nice shimmer on the 2 buss
Old 24th March 2012
  #81
Lives for gear
 
skiltrip's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin III View Post
personally i love it! ive been tooling around with it for a few days it give a nice shimmer on the 2 buss
I found the same. It instantly "took the lid off" what was a somewhat muddy mix. But the high end it brought out was pleasing and not harsh like it might have been if I used a normal EQ to open up the top end.
Old 3rd May 2012
  #82
Lives for gear
 
skiltrip's Avatar
One wish I have for Kramer Master Tape...

I wish I could shut off the tape animation. It's neat looking I guess, but totally unnecessary. And it doesn't always stop moving when I stop playback. Yet sometimes it does. I know Waves doesn't take requests, and it's usually what you see is what you get. And if that's my only complaint about it, it tells you what I think about how it sounds.

But yeah, I find it borderline annoying... though it is neat to watch the speed change when you flick the IPS switch.... ok, fine it's neat, but it's still unnecessary. lol.
Old 3rd May 2012
  #83
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
One wish I have for Kramer Master Tape...

I wish I could shut off the tape animation. It's neat looking I guess, but totally unnecessary. And it doesn't always stop moving when I stop playback. Yet sometimes it does. I know Waves doesn't take requests, and it's usually what you see is what you get. And if that's my only complaint about it, it tells you what I think about how it sounds.

But yeah, I find it borderline annoying... though it is neat to watch the speed change when you flick the IPS switch.... ok, fine it's neat, but it's still unnecessary. lol.
Ehm, have you clicked on the reels?
Old 3rd May 2012
  #84
Lives for gear
 
skiltrip's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson Paris View Post
Ehm, have you clicked on the reels?
Does that shut 'em off? I don't mind having a 'duh' moment as long as I benefit from it!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Gearslutz App
Old 3rd May 2012
  #85
Gear Nut
 
philip888's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
Does that shut 'em off? I don't mind having a 'duh' moment as long as I benefit from it!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Gearslutz App
Yes.
Old 12th August 2014
  #86
Here for the gear
 
FiL.dUbz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
why use a tape sim? it wont sound like tape but some weird interpretation of it. real saturation is technically not possible itb (although people said it will be in a year...for the past 10 years...) and will basically just screw with your signal. these products are made for amateurs. pros do have a studer or dont even care :-) if you like tape...use it. otherwise dont. all good ( i personally dont use tape and dont miss it a bit...actually id hate having to work with it). all you will get from plugs like that is a distorted interpretation of analog saturation that has nothing to do with the real thing. stay away! invest in better mics...thats worth a lot more!
This is pretty much wasteful "advice"... no offense intended as I'm sure you like creating music but that's about as terrible a comment as it gets.

Use whatever you like and if it sounds good-- good.

This tape sim works excellent on hi-hats, vocals, even kicks. Test EQ settings after applying so you can control the harmonics, but use it and have fun... and don't listen to people the above quoted who don't actually know what they are talking about.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump